Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Mar 2008, 9:48 pm

I feel as if my social skills have regressed considerably during the three years I've been in college.

As a senior in high school, I really had no major problems aside from occasionally misreading someone. Now it seems as if I have no ability to bond whatsoever, cannot read much of anything, and most social stuff seems to sail past me like a 100mph fastball these days, even situations similar to ones I handled very well three years ago.

I'm fine with my old buddies from high school, but I really haven't made any close friends at my college.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2008, 2:57 pm

I've been thinking the same thing actually. I've only been in university since September, but I've deffinatly started to regress. I'm stimming again for the first time since before primary school, which is the biggest sign to me. It doesn't help that the only human contact I have out of lectures (about ten hours a week - I only have four lectures plus a screening this term) is my boyfriend and my mentor.

However, I went out with my friends from secondary school this weekend and I was perfectly fine with them. I even managed to go to a club for the first time (!), although I spent most of my time there dancing with my boyfriend. XD

I think that most of it is because I'm not at home any more. Not having constant contact with other people makes any social situations really tiring because they seem unnessercary. The only way I can see to stop the regression is to force yourself to be social when you don't want to be to get used to it again.

It's also probably harder to make good friends at university, because you're not with them for as long during the week. At secondary school you're at school 9-5 each day, and probably with at least one of your friends for most of that time. It's actually a lot of time. At university it's unusual to be with anyone for half of that time, from my own experience.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:48 pm

i was different, in first year university i was much more social than i had ever been, i was going out, partying, getting involved with stuff, etc. this year i seem to have taken a step in a different direction. i went through a depression earlier this year, during which i wasn't social, and i've just been less social in general. I guess i noticed that last year, although i was being more social, i didn't really fit in and made a lot of social mistakes. this year i've been less outgoing and i've hung back and watched more than getting involved, be it in conversations, social events, etc.. I don't really have any friends in university, just my friends from high school who go to my university. I have acquaintances but nobody i actually hang out with and talk to about serious stuff. i think i'm being more cautious this year than i was last year because i think i distanced myself from people because of how i acted socially.