Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 10:48 am

I like having a lot of privacy but I have never been very good at being completely alone. I need people near, but at a distance. For instance I like being in a room by myself but able to hear someone doing something from another room, or even hearing someone walking outside does something for me to make me feel less isolated, even though I'm not interacting with that person. This was one thing that was very difficult for me when I lived in a rural setting-- there was total isolation, not even noise from other people, just the various sounds from wind, weather events, and an occasional animal. I never realized how much comfort I get just from hearing people walking by the house or getting in and out of their car or their own houses. So in that sense I'm not an isolationist and I don't think I could ever accept being so.

But on the other hand having someone in too close proximity can be torture. :(

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2008, 1:45 pm

I never or very seldom had any decent conversations at school (tho really can't remember - yet twice, at seven then at fourteen I when silent) then work was slightly better tho it depended on who worked nearby, there were times when I was an object of ridicule. Yet I was extraordinarily talented.

Like Apatura I like the noise of semi urban traffic, human and vehicular. Rural isolation wld soon send me crazy. I always walk with a purpose yet can often be unable to go into my garden or onto the street outside through fear. Someone with me, a companion wld help. Having a dog makes it easier. I speak to lots of dog walkers. Tho they will never know my name. I have routines, time and geographical.

I have coped with isolation for fifty years, I am loneliest when among people.

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2008, 5:04 pm

Tim Tex - surely 'a friend' doesn't need to be geographically close? You've posted lots and your avatar is easy to recognise. Does that mean friend stuff is a proximity of bodies?

Poor old aspis - they don't half go though it. I've noticed its easy for them (and us - self diagnosed here) - to get bogged down in self pity. Sod it.

Tim Tex - what r u studying?

Last edited by ablomov on 04 Aug 2008, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2008, 9:46 pm

Even in the NT world, people only have a few real friends in their lives, the rest are just acquaintences - people they know but don't totally involve themselves with. Sometimes it seems much different but it isn't so really. As the world gets busier and people have new stresses to deal with, time with friends is usually the first thing to go.

I've lived in our new home for three years now...and I don't know anyone in our town! I haven't also involved myself much in doing things to meet people. When I'm ready it'll happen, or it won't.

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

AliasPseudonym
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

Um, there was nothing to accept for me. Isolation is the default, anything else takes effort. It's not that I don't like people. I just sometimes fail to acknowledge their existence, or fail to see how their should existence matter to me.

If I had a choice, I'd live in a cave on a mountain a million miles from everyone. But I'd have a computer and internet connection and video-chat to keep in touch.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 10:31 pm

The problem with isolation is that it makes non-isolation feel much worse after you get used to isolation.

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2008, 2:33 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
I am 19 years old, and never had that many friends. For a while, that bothered me, because I had a desire to be just like all of the sociable people I see. I became particularly jealous when I realized that I probably had the same level of social skills as everyone else, yet could never seem to get into meaningful conversations outside of academic/work settings.
Then it finally occurred to me: maybe I don't have that many friends because I'm just not social. Maybe I enjoy being introverted. And I do. I write, I read, wander the streets, and do other things that would be much harder in a group. Do I still want a couple of close friends? Yes. How about a partner? Definitely. I have no idea how I will meet them, but I now know that I am happy being by myself.
Do you know what they call that? Independence :D Own it. I am the same way ... ever take a Myers-Briggs personality test? I did recently and got ENFJ it is a rarer one that only 2.5 percent of the world has. But the thing it is an extroverted personality where sometimes you just have to stay inside and be alone to "recharge" ... maybe you have that?

It is all about what you do and or want to do ... but never forget to go outside and experience the world ... that is critical to sanity ... staying grounded with reality and the world outside :wink:

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 6:04 am

Apatura wrote:
I like having a lot of privacy but I have never been very good at being completely alone. I need people near, but at a distance. For instance I like being in a room by myself but able to hear someone doing something from another room, or even hearing someone walking outside does something for me to make me feel less isolated, even though I'm not interacting with that person.

I think I'm the same way. I don't like being alone in the house for more than a few hours. I'm not isolated because I have my bf, who lives with me, and another housemate. One reason I get along well with my housemate is that she doesn't need to chit chat. We can be in the house together all day, and even cross paths, and we don't have to talk. :D

I don't have any other friends. I think friends can be a double edged sword. They can be demanding, and even mean, and frankly they can also be not very interesting! :D I like the thoughts in my own head, and I truly think that your life is what goes on in your head, not outside of it!

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2008, 4:02 pm

bee 33 - I agree - I enjoy my own mind.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2008, 9:26 pm

I'd love more outings with friends, but I must be given isolation to keep me from sheer crankiness/exhaustion regularly.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 10:44 am

At my English course we were asked to write about our hobbies. I mentioned I enjoyed spending time alone. When my teacher read this, he stared at me as if I had grown sunflowers on my nose, and said, "Why? You're so young."

To this day I cannot figure out what's the alleged necessary connection between youth and gregarious behavior.

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Aug 2008, 2:31 pm

Carturo222- I too remember a specific time when i wrote in one of my 'compositions' at age eleven - these were used to extract / build a profile that I 'go out into the countryside by myself'. Heavens above such bizare behaviour!!

Even at that age i realised more could be seen, heard and learnt if one was alone. Forty years later i still feel the same. Gerard Manley Hopkins proves my point.

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2008, 11:42 am

I've come to see it as the lesser of two evils.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 1:57 pm

I used to accept the isolation, but within the past few weeks its really been irritating me, namely because of the fact im no at the point where i want to find myself a girlfriend, and im sick of having no-one to talk to about just random non-sense person to person. Maybe its im just starting to grow out of my Aspie-ness somewhat, but not fully and i am just trying to figure things out, im not sure yet.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

RogueProcess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2008, 5:11 pm

"Hell is others", as they say.
And sometimes I think that's pretty true.

Silver1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2008, 9:23 pm

Catster2 wrote:
I have pretty muvh always been socially isolated I have had friends and they have come and gone and none at the moment are very close. I am used to idolation and sometimes i like and sometimes i dont but i am used to it.

I'm the exact same way, have friends come and go, sometimes it bothers me and other times it doesn't.