Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 12:34 pm

The majority of the people I've met in my course laugh and make jokes/banter about things which I don't understand or find funny at all. And they engage in so much gossip and trivial topics like TV shows and celebrities. I find most of the conversations dull and shallow.

I don't mind doing some small talk so I can just communicate for the sake of communicating without appearing to ignore them. But it's as if banter/gossip/small talk is all they care about. When I do try to talk about something deeper/philosophical things, they're reluctant to talk about it, they ignore what I say, or they make jokes on my comments.

Sometimes in a group conversation when the 1st person pauses after saying something, I'll make a reply because I thought the 1st person has finished his bit. But then another person interrupts me and the 1st person replies to what he said instead. It pisses me off big time. Other times, it could be that I clearly asked the 1st person something, but then they start saying something to the 2nd person, as if they didn't hear me say anything. I also get pissed off by that.

I'm not upset coz I have friends outside my Uni course but I'm a bit annoyed in the way they behave. I feel like the black sheep within my year, like I don't really fit in. In fact, I have no group of friends in my course. I do find a few things funny, but the antics and stuff they say/do is just too much I reckon, not to mention childish!

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 12:54 pm

Amajanshi wrote:
Sometimes in a group conversation when the 1st person pauses after saying something, I'll make a reply because I thought the 1st person has finished his bit. But then another person interrupts me and the 1st person replies to what he said instead. It pisses me off big time. Other times, it could be that I clearly asked the 1st person something, but then they start saying something to the 2nd person, as if they didn't hear me say anything. I also get pissed off by that.

This happens to me all the time.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

22 May 2009, 1:04 pm

Amajanshi wrote:
...or they make jokes on my comments.

They actually make fun of what you say? That seems deliberately hurtful. Or am I misunderstanding?

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 2:10 pm

I understand how you feel, Amajanshi. Why bother with wierdoes like them anyway?

androo4salez
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2009, 5:40 pm

Oh my, you seem to be describing the big group conversation. These are a tricky bit for all those socially awkward, aspie or not.

Don't get mad that the conversations are trivial. That's just how those things go. Philosophical discussion doesn't belong in big group conversations like that. It's just how it goes, and you'll have to accept it. Don't think of it as shallow, think of it as a form of exciting conversation that you don't quite understand yet.

In conversations like those, almost everyone in the conversation wants to say something, the thing is, since everyone is trying to get the same spot to say something, a lot of people tend to be interrupted in conversations like those. Don't take it personally.

I tend to avoid conversations like these, unless i'm around a lot of friends that i'm comfortable with. But if you would, try reading this article, as it goes in depth about how these conversations work, and how to take part in them effectively

http://succeedsocially.com/groupconversations

"All things new are fought against, even thought their time has come. Stretch and reach to conscious mind. Seek defeat in those who fear."
- Henrik Ohlsson