My brother is allergic to dairy products

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2008, 10:42 pm

So...about two days ago, I got the news that my brother is allergic to most dairy products. He's been in a miserable mood eer since he found out. Additionally, I have been trying to make him feel better by drinking and eating what he does (IE, the rice milk and the rice ice cream, etc.), this way he doesn't feel so odd. Is there anything else I can do to make him feel better?

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:38 pm

Maybe it would help more to refocus him by finding some other food he loves that you can both go out to eat or cook. Eating Rice milk with him is great, but in a way it might make him focus more on all the yummy dairy products he can't have if he is in essense eating "fake dairy" aka rice dream ice cream. Just staying away from the topic of pizza.

PS: Is he allergic or just lactose intolerant?

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:47 pm

Is it an intolerance to lactose cos sometimes this can extend to other things that uses dairy products such as chocolate. There is always soya products

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2008, 4:37 pm

He has *absolutely* no bacteria in his stomach that digest dairy O.o

acannon
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2008, 2:02 am

I think that's really nice of you to do that. My son is milk intolerant. I don't know if he'll ever grow out of it, as he is very young, but if he didn't, I would love it if he had a friend or a sibling who did that.

Myles17
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2008, 11:17 pm

if you brother is under 12 years old, than keep cheering him up. If he is older than i would just eat ice cream and any dairy you want to. Who cares, its his problem. Tell him that you are sorry he cant eat milk and cheer him up, but you shouldn't have to sacrifice dairy out of your diet. If my mother had a stomach ulcer and could only eat bread and no fruit, vegetables, pasta or anything, than i would not do that too. Am I being too harsh? I am this way with my sister.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 12:25 am

That is big of you to avoid dairy as he has to. Half the battle is having the support of those closest to him, and your efforts have probably made his life easier. If you wanted to learn more about food allergy/avoidance lifestyle, there are websites like FAAN.
http://www.foodallergy.org/

You can also serve as his eyes and ears in case you are in a social situation where dairy will be involved.