Maybe this is an Aspie thing..........a little help?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ericc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Dec 2008, 10:10 pm

Maybe I've been denieing (sorry abou the spelling) this for awhile, I don't know, but I feel like I need to search for people within my interests and people to relate to (humorists, satirists, nonconformists, Androgyne, etc.).

When you are an Aspie, you know that interests are more than interests, they are your soul. Without your interests, you have no soul. That's how I feel.

But I feel lonesome at times when there isn't anyone around who enjoys the interests that I enjoy.

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2008, 10:33 pm

"But I feel lonesome at times when there isn't anyone around who enjoys the interests that I enjoy."

Yeah, that's a pain.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 12:26 am

It's true that sometimes, there's nothing more pleasing than to have a deep interest in something,then to find someone else who shares your deep interest, and to talk for hours about it. But the more specialized or obscure the interest is, the harder it is to find others who share it. That's the beauty of the internet: No matter what it is, there's a forum of people talking about it, if you just know how to find it.

But in real life, it's harder to find people who know all the names of the Pokemon or Pi to the 20th decimal or the starting lineup of the 1976 Houston Astros. And if you can't talk about something else other than what interests you, you're gonna be in for lonely days.

The best thing you can learn to do to make new friends is to listen. Sometimes, it's as easy as just shutting up and nodding occasionally, and you'll find more and more people glad to see you when you come around. Because everyone's favorite subject is usually themselves, and the people who let them talk about it are valuable indeed.

ericc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2008, 1:05 am

sacrip wrote:
It's true that sometimes, there's nothing more pleasing than to have a deep interest in something,then to find someone else who shares your deep interest, and to talk for hours about it. But the more specialized or obscure the interest is, the harder it is to find others who share it. That's the beauty of the internet: No matter what it is, there's a forum of people talking about it, if you just know how to find it.

But in real life, it's harder to find people who know all the names of the Pokemon or Pi to the 20th decimal or the starting lineup of the 1976 Houston Astros. And if you can't talk about something else other than what interests you, you're gonna be in for lonely days.

The best thing you can learn to do to make new friends is to listen. Sometimes, it's as easy as just shutting up and nodding occasionally, and you'll find more and more people glad to see you when you come around. Because everyone's favorite subject is usually themselves, and the people who let them talk about it are valuable indeed.

Yeah, I see your point. I make small talk to everyone. But I just think of them as all losers. LOL Not worthy to hang out with me and stuff.

I have a dream, though I can't see it being illogical. That some day, I'm going to meet some cool friends who share the same sense of humor as I do. That's all that I care about actually. And someday thanks to our Satirical writing style and prank mastertry, we will attack Society and knock down the bariors of social norms so nonconformists, tomboys, and subcultures don't need to hide from the mainstream society and worry about people making them conform to certain Social Norms that don't fit the indivisual like the gender binary system for one. I would like to live a rebel's life someday. But nothing nasty like hookers, drugs, none of that crap. But to be rebel's being nonconformists and the prankster greasers of the urban cities.

Maybe what I'm saying might be illogical, but it's a strong feeling inside me. It's my Spirituality and my own Religion.

But the only problem is where to start.

I have the brains but I don't have the guts to be a rebel. I'm too much of a sissy. Could be the reason why I love Tomboys so much. I was never excepted in a group of men plus I don't feel 100% masculine. I'm Androgynous. And I've very sensitive. But one of the things that I love about Tomboys is that they are one of the boys to me. I'm straight so I'm not attracted to the male body at all. But I mentally love masculinity in women. I don't mean just muscles or being a biker rebel but one who adapts to the Masculine Role in terms of dress, looks and mind.

Sorry if I written too much and seem too preacy but that's just how I feel inside and I just wanted to share that with you all.

Peace,

_Eric ;)

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 6:59 am

OK, so you want to take society by the shoulders and shake it till it gets some understanding, like a Hunter Thompson or a William Burroughs or a Lenny Bruce or what have you. And you also seem to know that it's through art (writing and pranks) that it's properly done. Cause just standing on the street corner and yelling "Wake up, people! Open your eyes!" never seems to work. And you want to find others like you, who know what you know and want to do what you want to.

Well, they're out there. I know cause I've met them. Usually in college, where these kind of people congregate. So, going to a liberal arts university, emphasis on the liberal, is definitely a first step. But any college will do, I think. There's always at least one.

After that (or in place of it), well, you gotta take the lead. Light a beacon to let others like you know that you think like they do. And you do that through art. Write. Write, and write some more. Get published anywhere you can. School newspaper. Literary magazines. Pamphlets. A blog. Anything that'll show your thoughts on how it ought to be. And for the love of God, spellcheck!

If you write it, they will come.

Alien8ed
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Dec 2008, 11:23 pm

Socializing is a little overrated (in my opinion). Supposedly, I need to improve upon it, yet the advice I had been given (initiate conversations more, go to "social places," etc.) really hasn't worked out. I wonder if maybe its NT's who should learn to adapt to the way aspies are.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2008, 12:47 am

ericc wrote:
Maybe I've been denieing (sorry abou the spelling) this for awhile, I don't know, but I feel like I need to search for people within my interests and people to relate to (humorists, satirists, nonconformists, Androgyne, etc.).

When you are an Aspie, you know that interests are more than interests, they are your soul. Without your interests, you have no soul. That's how I feel.

But I feel lonesome at times when there isn't anyone around who enjoys the interests that I enjoy.

I know how you feel. You should try looking at www.meetup.com, they have a lot of interest based social groups.