Social rules at work do not make sense.........

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Bluebird33
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2009, 2:15 am

I am pretty good at following rules if I know what they are. If I don't know it bothers me. People at work for instance often get mad or sarcastic if I say hi how are you. They don't realise that I am trying to interact with them. Curently I have several that are just messing with me.
They think it is funny to give me wrong information, say embarring things,
thank I am bragging. I am trying to interact. Lately though I would find it easier just to go about my job and enjoy my peace. Sometimes I will watch how they interact with each other to try to get some hints. I am shocked and appalled that they are often rude with each other. I would never just give some one a hard time for the fun of it. I don't kow how to respond. :oops:

ike
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 2:49 am

Sounds like some of the lamer places I've worked.

07 Jan 2009, 4:08 am

I would stop trying to interact with them and only talk when spoken to.

But hey since they do this to each other, I wouldn't take it personal. It's them, not you.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 5:29 am

Bluebird33 wrote:
I am pretty good at following rules if I know what they are. If I don't know it bothers me. People at work for instance often get mad or sarcastic if I say hi how are you. They don't realise that I am trying to interact with them. Curently I have several that are just messing with me.
They think it is funny to give me wrong information, say embarring things,
thank I am bragging. I am trying to interact. Lately though I would find it easier just to go about my job and enjoy my peace. Sometimes I will watch how they interact with each other to try to get some hints. I am shocked and appalled that they are often rude with each other. I would never just give some one a hard time for the fun of it. I don't kow how to respond.
:oops:

oops: mispost: edit pending...

Ok, this showed up in another thread recently and was exposed as the game of job.
If you want a job where you get paid to work,
either start your own business
or get a job without other people competing with you.

OR
You have to play that nasty game, and win it by stepping on everyone else, even your boss if you're that clever, to get as promoted as you can by doing as little work as possible and making a fool out of your peers. In this game, nobody cares how much work gets done, except the losers of the game.

Bluebird33
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2009, 6:33 am

Then the rule must be to speak only when spoken too. It must be the game of job that is going on because I will have people try to take me down even though I am scheduled to work in a certain area. I enjoy the work itself.:) I am also having a new opportunity to go back to school I hope to do this by summer.:) I will not play the game of trashing other people to succeed. Thank you for helping me to figure this out abit better.:)

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 10:04 am

At work I don't say a word unless spoken too. I don't want to start a conversation because it might be the wrong time or wrong person. I'll only say hi if they say it first, it's easy that way. I'll never say hi to them if they don't say hi to me. Sometimes people probably think I'm snubbing them for doing that but that's the way my brain works. I guess they expect me to start a conversation with them but I can't do it.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2009, 7:33 pm

Perhaps the question "Hi How are you?" doesn't jive with your facial expression so that's why they pick on you. Like if you say that but at the same time are turning the other way to avoid eye contact and not smiling as you say it then its pretty obvious its rehearsed conversation and they pick up on it.

Bluebird33
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jan 2009, 9:36 am

My conversation is often rehearsed but it is because I feel I should say something. Last night was interesting. I tried real hard not to talk to just focus on my work to not be or cause any drama. One of my new things I have tried to do is not tell people what they might already know. Sometimes I will learn something and feel I have to tell it to someone or get fearful that they won't know. Last night the boss gave me a chance to do a bigger job. I loved it all though I was a little fearful that I would blow it in some way. I will keep focusing on my job and not on talking to people or the drama that somehow follows me. Tell me will all the drama go away if I focus on my job will somehow people leave me alone. Competition is awful.