Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Black_tea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 29
Location: Brooklyn, NY

31 Jan 2009, 3:25 pm

I was friends with this guy, who has Asperger's, but then I realized that I feel nothing but pity towards him. So I wrote him a letter, telling him as gently as possible that we should go our separate ways because I've only been friends with him out of habit. My parents, however, think that what I did was terrible because this guy is a loner. So my question is, are pity friendships immoral? I, personally, think it's always best to be honest and I'd rather have one or two very good friends than 100 friends, who don't genuinely like me. That's why I feel that if you have Asperger's, you shouldn't tell people unless you're very close to them, in order to make sure that people like you for YOU and invite you places not out of pity, but because they want to be with you.



Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jul 2004
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,315
Location: Uz

31 Jan 2009, 5:00 pm

so why are you here?

does your friend post here and you want to humiliate him some more?



gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2008
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,898
Location: The Town That Time Forgot (UK)

31 Jan 2009, 5:04 pm

I think that's fair, you shouldn't be friends with someone you don't actually want to be friends with. I was recently on your end of that situation, and I am better being out of that friendship. So is she, evidently, as she's now swanning about with the popular crowd.

Postperson wrote:
so why are you here?

does your friend post here and you want to humiliate him some more?


That's a bit harsh.


_________________
'El reloj, no avanza
y yo quiero ir a verte,
La clase, no acaba
y es como un semestre"


Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Gender: Female
Posts: 464

31 Jan 2009, 5:18 pm

I don't think it's immoral. It'd be immoral if you were to be someone's friend for material goods, if anything, it's a good thing to be someone's friend because you feel sorry for them or think they need more friends.
However, I do think it's immoral to lead them on that you're friends with someone because you like them.
So, I mean, I think it's both good and bad.
EMZ=]



Black_tea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 29
Location: Brooklyn, NY

31 Jan 2009, 7:03 pm

Postperson wrote:
so why are you here?

does your friend post here and you want to humiliate him some more?


I don't understand why you're using such a belligerent tone, as if I did something to you, personally. I'm here in order to help out people, who have AS. I don't know if he posts here and have no intention of humiliating him.



buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Dec 2008
Age: 81
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,662

31 Jan 2009, 7:14 pm

Black_tea wrote:
I was friends with this guy, who has Asperger's, but then I realized that I feel nothing but pity towards him. So I wrote him a letter, telling him as gently as possible that we should go our separate ways because I've only been friends with him out of habit. My parents, however, think that what I did was terrible because this guy is a loner. So my question is, are pity friendships immoral? I, personally, think it's always best to be honest and I'd rather have one or two very good friends than 100 friends, who don't genuinely like me. That's why I feel that if you have Asperger's, you shouldn't tell people unless you're very close to them, in order to make sure that people like you for YOU and invite you places not out of pity, but because they want to be with you.

Well, what's stopping you from becoming true friends with him?



Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jul 2004
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,315
Location: Uz

31 Jan 2009, 9:14 pm

Black_tea wrote:
Postperson wrote:
so why are you here?

does your friend post here and you want to humiliate him some more?


I don't understand why you're using such a belligerent tone, as if I did something to you, personally. I'm here in order to help out people, who have AS. I don't know if he posts here and have no intention of humiliating him.


:lol: you're interested in helping people with AS, so you dump one of them off your 'friend' list.

we already get enough of that kind of 'help' thanks.



pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,326
Location: Sydney, Australia

31 Jan 2009, 9:34 pm

I think the best way to stop being friends with someone is if you slowly drift away from each other. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, but it's the less hurtful way. I have to do that now and sometimes it just happens that way.
I've had pity friends before and they seem to be very clingy. There are some people that you don't want as your friends, despite being a loner, so I can understand where you are coming from.



Black_tea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 29
Location: Brooklyn, NY

31 Jan 2009, 11:33 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Well, what's stopping you from becoming true friends with him?


The fact that I feel zero affection towards him. When I got my first qualm that something was off, I thought maybe it was just my imagination. So I decided to go on a little vacation from him, to figure things out. I didn't speak to him in almost three months and found that I don't miss him at all. And friendship without affection is just plain impossible.

Postperson wrote:
:lol: you're interested in helping people with AS, so you dump one of them off your 'friend' list.

we already get enough of that kind of 'help' thanks.


For your information, the reason I dumped him had nothing to do with him having AS. Like I said, it's because I felt no affection.

pensieve wrote:
I think the best way to stop being friends with someone is if you slowly drift away from each other. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, but it's the less hurtful way.


I'll have to disagree with you on that 100%. For anyone, especially people with Asperger's, it's downright frustrating if someone acts like your friend and then suddenly stops calling and is mysteriously "busy." If anything, it's more hurtful that way because it drags out the hurt. Knowing the truth means you can deal with it, and you can't deal with the unknown.



Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jul 2004
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,315
Location: Uz

31 Jan 2009, 11:39 pm

This site exists to support people with AS, and as such it's possible your friend does know of it and post here. In the light of that, and the fact that you don't have AS, I find your presence here bizarre and inappropriate.



pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,326
Location: Sydney, Australia

01 Feb 2009, 2:34 am

Black_tea wrote:
pensieve wrote:
I think the best way to stop being friends with someone is if you slowly drift away from each other. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, but it's the less hurtful way.


I'll have to disagree with you on that 100%. For anyone, especially people with Asperger's, it's downright frustrating if someone acts like your friend and then suddenly stops calling and is mysteriously "busy." If anything, it's more hurtful that way because it drags out the hurt. Knowing the truth means you can deal with it, and you can't deal with the unknown.


Oh well, it works for NT's. Not once have I or my friends told each other that we don't want to be friends anymore.



GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,149
Location: Den of the ecdysiasts

01 Feb 2009, 3:18 am

Sorry to be negative, but I don't see any possible way this could go smoothly unless he doesn't care. Be honest, do you feel contempt for him? Because I always thought you could be a friend (maybe not best friends) to someone as long as you don't dislike them.

If you are here to help, it's good you're here. It's sometimes good to see an NT's perspective, and hard to get for some of us.


_________________
I will befriend the friendless, help the helpless, and defeat... the feetless?


Black_tea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 29
Location: Brooklyn, NY

01 Feb 2009, 12:18 pm

Postperson wrote:
This site exists to support people with AS, and as such it's possible your friend does know of it and post here. In the light of that, and the fact that you don't have AS, I find your presence here bizarre and inappropriate.


What I find bizarre and inappropriate is you judging what I'm doing when you don't even know me. Last time I checked, neurotypicals were allowed to join and besides, if you read my first post, you'll see that I lived a few years thinking I had Asperger's. Whether the guy posts here or not is not the issue.



Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jul 2004
Age: 62
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,315
Location: Uz

01 Feb 2009, 1:24 pm

I disagree, my sympathy and support here are for people with Asperger's.

Whether the guy posts here or not is most certainly an issue. Maybe you could check with him.



nikkoblue
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2009
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 15

01 Feb 2009, 3:05 pm

I'm trying to figure this out....you don't have affection for him, so was he a friend or a dating-type friend? If it's physical affection you're talking about, did you have a frank discussion with him prior to writing him the note? I mean, I definitely think it's bad to be a pity friend, but typically you don't become a friend if it's out of pity. You can, however, be a pity dater, which is definitely a good thing to end.

Does that make sense? Anywho, if it's the dating part, then I think you DID do the right thing, as long as you've given him a chance to discuss it with you.