Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ad2009
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2009, 9:22 am

So I mentioned this before but I am going to rephrase to since it is going on now. I have a problem: A friend is staying with me this weekend. We are somewhat close but one of the biggest challenges to our friendship is that sometimes there are long periods of silence when we are by ourselves. Yes, we have plenty to talk about some of the time, but when we don't, it is realy awkard. As a result, sometimes he will go hang out with other people (well not this weekend since he's at my house). Anyway, I need non-generic things that I can talk with him about or ways to distract him from the fact that he's either bored or feels awkard. Also, we go to school, work, church, etc. together so while I can make reference to what happened to him in his day, it gets old fast.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 9:27 am

I had this problem with a friend once, we often talked on the phone then we'd run out of stuff to say. I solved it by making a list on the back of my hand of things I wanted to tell her about stuff that had happened at school that day, etc.

y es como un semestre"

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 10:44 am

Watch a movie. It eats time, and you'll have something to discuss afterwards.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Aleph0
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2009, 12:31 pm

Try to remember things you liked on Youtube, flash games and things like that, then if you get bored you can open the computer and show him that stuff or play together

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2009, 1:40 pm

maybe you guys can do yoga or meditate or stretch or exchange massages...these are quiet activities.

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 2:00 pm

Ideas:
You may want to talk about things you saw in the new such as President Obama reversed the stem cell project. However, you need to research and read more about it.

2. If you come ip with any jokes, tell them to your friend if he finds them funny.

3. If you two have nothing to talk about, just don't talk and find other things to do until you both are ready to say something.

(I have this problem where I talk all the time honestly, I am getting sick of talking all the time).

ad2009
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2009, 6:09 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. They are good ideas. However, many of them are only temporary fixes. Yes, playing games or talking about videos or silence for maybe 30-45 minutes can be good. But, right now the day is almost through and we haven't said all that much to each other. Part of the problem was I was planning on taking him to other people's houses but almost all of my friends are on spring break or have work. I REALLY NEED TO FIGURE SOMETHING OUT QUICKLY. PLEASE REPLY AND KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS GOING.

ptown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2009, 6:42 pm

go out and listen to some live music???