Do you always keep up with mainstream culture?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 7:49 pm

Just to fit in? Personally, I don't see what's the point of doing that, anyway.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 7:53 pm

I did until about 1992.

MmeLePen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 7:55 pm

No - I prefer to set the trends. 8)

isnessofwhatis
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2009, 8:09 pm

I tried to several times but gave up. I don't get the point any more. For one thing it's expensive. I can't spend $50 on a shirt i would only wear a couple of times when I could buy a shirt at the thrift store for $3 and wear it many times.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 8:44 pm

after a certain age, you realize you don't have to impress anyone anymore, or pick up 'chicks', etc. How liberating it is...;)

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2009, 8:49 pm

I stopped trying when I was 11. At the time, all the cool people were wearing a certain brand of shoe and I had thought doing so would make me a little less geeky. When mom and I went to try on a pair, they just didn't look good on me--so I decided not to get them.Ever after, I kept doing my thing and never looked back.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 9:43 pm

I've never tried to keep up with mainstream culture.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 11:11 pm

If by 'keep up' you mean participate in, gods no. I'd feel as stupid trying to validate my self-worth with clothing and accessories as I would if I walked around in public wearing an assless fuzzy pink bunny costume.

On the other hand, if you mean 'maintain an awareness of', yes. Being in broadcast media for a long time, it was part of the job to know what was hot and trendy and ridicule it mercilessly.

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:56 am

I tried to fit in up until i was around 17,
then i realized that it was all bull and
went my own way. Could not care less
whats mainstream or not. Its a big
ball of fluff and when you pick it
apart you get; nothing. An illusion
made and fueld by...yep...humans :roll:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 6:45 am

i have never kept abreast of mainstream culture.

i was never interested in fashion. when i go to buy clothes, i only go with a crude idea in my mind that i need clothes.
i may decide to go and get 4 pairs of trousers and 4 tracksuit pants and 4 tee shirts and 2 short sleeve shirts and 2 long sleeve shirts.
as long as they are my size, and the color is a light pastel one with no patterns on it (even though i like patterns, i do not like to wear them), i do not care what they look like or whether they match each other.
i never wore jewelry of any kind, or had body piercings (eek).
i used to wear a watch until a few years ago, and it broke, and i never got another one because there are clocks everywhere i go.
my hairstyle is the same as my first hairstyle when i was a small child. it has never changed. my father used to cut my hair because i did not like barbers talking to me. he maintained the same page boy hairstyle until my late teens.
now that i have to go to a barber, i ask for it to be shortened 2" all the way around when i get it cut (which maintains the original style).
i can not talk about fashion.
i do not listen to the radio much, or watch music video TV shows, so i am not aware of new bands and their songs. i do not know what people my age are listening to.
i can not talk about music.
i have not seen any movies except in motels or other places in which i am stuck without alternative entertainment (like airplanes (at night (otherwise i look out the window and ignore inflight movies))).
there are only 4 movies i ever paid attention to all the way through.
i can not talk about movies.

i do not know anything about sport, or what names are in what sports (excepting the obvious ones in the news like "tiger woods", who i know plays golf).
in australia, the football teams usually go by the names of animals. like the "eels" or the "roosters" or the "seagulls" (? i think that is one) etc. i have no idea what area they come from, or whether they are good or bad. i know none of the names of any players.

i have never bothered to work out the rules of any sport (except golf (because i played it a few times)). all i know is that in football and soccer, they try to kick the ball through their opponent's goal posts. i know nothing more than that. in cricket, they have to hit the ball far away so it takes a long time for the others to reach it and throw it back, in which time they run backward and forward between "stumps" (3 sticks driven into the ground with some "bridging pegs" layed across their tops that are designed to be easily knocked off if they are disturbed) placed a certain distance apart.

i understand racing because it is simple, but i am not interested in it and i know no ones names or what they race in.

i can not talk about sport.
----------
i do not know about politics.
polis--metropolis--politician--poll--policy--police. whatever. the governing of the interconnected masses is not my cup of tea. as long as it remains sunny and green down my end of the street, all is well.
i can not talk about politics.
----------
i am not interested in history for the same reason that historians are.
i am not interested in famous historical events. also i am not interested in my ancestry.
i do not care how we all came to be how we are in this day and age. if i cared it would change nothing in history.
i can not talk about historical events.
---------

the list will never end on it's own. so i will end it here.

i am not in tune with any culture.

Strangerthanfiction
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2009, 9:28 am

A; God no!!:)

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 4:28 pm

Never. I prefer nonmainstream subcultures like punk.

Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm

roygerdodger wrote:

No. I use to go to school dressed as really old man. I never got rid of my NES, and I have never changed cell-phone.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 6:53 pm

I've never really done that at all. Even as a teenager, I listened to different music than most, and didn't go out of my way to follow trends. I was vaguely aware of Michael Jackson mysteriously turning from a black man to a white woman, but not particularly interested.

I'm not sure, but it seems like nowadays trends seem to be more important to people. Or at least there seems to be more material STUFF that you are supposed to have and wear. There's all the electronic gadgetry, and 6000 channels of lowest-common-denominator crap on the TV, and the internet. We had MTV (only just) and not much else.

But I'm not into any of it. My husband and I get DVDs from Netflix, and it's usually foreign or independent films. I don't think I could even name any current TV shows, except maybe "American Idol" or "Sex in the City," and even those probably aren't even current anymore, come to think of it. I've never seen them.

I do know who Hannah Montana is, though. That's because I had to go into Toys R Us, and her picture is plastered all over every item in the store. Actually, I have no idea who she is, but I know what she looks like.

I've never heard Britney Spears sing. In fact, I only just recently found out that she's a singer. I thought she was just one of those people who's famous for being famous. Who knew?

Is there an OPPOSITE to keeping up with mainstream culture? I think that would be what I do.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2009, 6:58 pm

Zyborg wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:

No. I use to go to school dressed as really old man. I never got rid of my NES, and I have never changed cell-phone.

Wouldn't your cell burn out eventually forcing you to buy a new one?

Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2009, 7:00 pm

Dark_Red_Beloved wrote:
Zyborg wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:

Wouldn't your cell burn out eventually forcing you to buy a new one?

It is still going strong since 2002.