ALL 25%  25%  [ 154 ]
None 1%  1%  [ 9 ]
None 2%  2%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 609

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2011, 12:40 pm

Children should be seen and not heard. When I was little, I was always scrictly taught not to scream in public, and I did learn. But some parents let their kids get away with it, and the more they let them misbehave, the more they will. The whole thing about being a child is learning discipline.

If I'm wrong here, that just proves that I can't stand toddlers. How can such a small person make such ugly, loud racket?! They're louder than 50 jets!

I don't mind a baby crying, but when there's a toddler screaming, it drives me insane. I'm just not good with little kids. I don't hate them personally, and I would never hurt them, but they're just not what I would choose to have around me, if I can help it.

What got me really annoyed was, last month, a bus-driver wouldn't let some old people on with their trolleys, because he said they took up space. But they let pushchairs on with screaming kids in, and they're twice as big as old people's trolleys. I suppose the world runs around toddlers.

Zeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 1:34 am

I vote crying babies. I've been near them and honestly, it is one of the most painful sounds I have ever experienced. Makes me hate babies in general (I can deal with screaming children, just the infancy which drives me mad). Dogs I can deal with unless they're near, they scare me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 12:46 pm

A crying baby is better than a screaming toddler.
Toddler tantrums agitate me. There is nothing more irritating than seeing a toddler laying on the floor in public screaming and kicking it's legs. A baby doesn't do that. It would just cry when it wants it's milk or wants to be changed or is unsettled or something. Also, a baby isn't crying to be naughty. Mostly a toddler is screaming because it's being awkward and playing up.

mightypen515
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2011, 9:32 pm

I voted all of the above, crying babies, barking dogs, screaming children.
Add to that very loud vehicle engines.
People whistling. Husband doesn't whistle anymore.
The guy I rent my office from whistles and it sets my teeth on edge.
This might sound weird, but anti-gay slurs in public, it's like my eyes will roll out of my head, and I'm not gay, I'd rather be locked in a room with speakers blowing the babies, dogs, children and whistlers than have to listen to that. i don't know why, It just freaks me out.
Anyone else's 10-key but my own.
Bad remakes of good songs.
Sirens.
Long, drawn out arguments between a Lib and a Con.
The voices of Jay Leno, Sarah Palin and Ashton Kutcher.

missconduct77
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2011, 1:05 am

I voted for "screaming children"

I like older kids ...(somewhere between 4 and 12 years of age). Don't have a problem with their noise like on the playground or something. I guess its because I thinkolder kids are easier to deal with and quieter. Babies and toddlers? I could do without., for the same reasons you guys have mentioned...
so it looks like were in good company. I miss the days when you could whip the you know what out of kids when they acted up and society thought nothing of it. I agree that parents do nothing anymore to control their kids in public. Makes me or you want to whip the you know what out of the parents as well. These worthless morons with the bawling brats need to go to Chuck E Cheese or some place like that. not fine dining establishments. And what is up with imbecilic mothers who take their babies to the movie theater? (even to PG 13 or r rated movies if its before 8 oclock. ???? Please tell me a reliable babysitter is that hard to find.

I am not planning on having kids because I don't like them when they are at those terrible early stages, and I am fine with that. There is the Freddie Mac foundation which lets you adopt a school aged child, but Im getting off topic here since this thread is about noise....

Dogs? I have always had a fear of big dogs, I hate to admit this but when I am in a strange neighborhood the sound of an unfamiliar dog in a fence barking may send me to the moon. Not out of dislike for the noise, but fear of the unknown.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 4:23 pm

Since I transferred to grocery night shift, I no longer have to deal with the crowds or the screaming kids. I get my own aisle and am left to work. :)

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2011, 11:58 pm

I worked with babies for several years in a volunteer job, and I love 'em! Yes, they're noisy and messy...but I always kept in mind that babies must be going through a scary time (of course, they're not yet self-aware, so they don't even know it...) in some ways, they're like us, they have a major barrier to communication. If we can see past their offensive noisyness and try to understand them, we can learn (and teach them) so much! Screaming kids and barking dogs have more to do with how the parents and owners respond to and manage them, and I have a little less tolerance for them...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 11:19 am

Quote:
I worked with babies for several years in a volunteer job, and I love 'em! Yes, they're noisy and messy...but I always kept in mind that babies must be going through a scary time (of course, they're not yet self-aware, so they don't even know it...) in some ways, they're like us, they have a major barrier to communication. If we can see past their offensive noisyness and try to understand them, we can learn (and teach them) so much! Screaming kids and barking dogs have more to do with how the parents and owners respond to and manage them, and I have a little less tolerance for them...

I don't mind babies. It's toddlers I don't like, when they get to that stage where they have temper tantrums out in public and want to get their own way, and the more grown-ups say the word ''no'', the more they scream louder, until it reaches a point where the noise of it frightens me. If a small child is crying for a reason, like falling over and hurting itself, or has a pain or something, I don' mind so much, although I don't like any child crying, but it's still not as frustrating as seeing a child being naughty and screaming for no reason. It really makes me feel agitated, especially in shops or on the bus. The whole reason why I won't go on a really long flight on a plane is because the chance that I'll be the one to have a screaming brat sitting in the seat right behind me the whole way. Imagine that! Especially when you're somebody like me who can't stand the sound of screaming. I think I'll rather anything than having a kid behind me the whole way. My friend is going to Hawaii, and is getting 2 planes, and altogether the journey is going to take 19 hours. Imagine they have the same screaming kid near them the whole time! At least a crying baby will go to sleep at some point, but a toddler probably won't if it's a naughty hyperactive type. I'm just going to France, which is only about an hour long journey, if that. I will not fly anywhere out of Europe, because I could not stick it on a plane for hours on end with kids. There's bound to be one sitting right near me.

Why can't small children be like lion cubs? Lion cubs can't roar until they're older, and why can't kids be like that? Being unable to scream at the top of it's voice until it reaches an age where it has developed it's verbal skills.

Konpaku
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2011, 7:04 am

I cannot stand any of them. Our neighbours dog barks nonstop and it has made me have to constantly listen to the radio so that I can't hear it or I would just become consumed with stress and rage.

Screaming children infuriate me, but I know I would be met with a range of negative looks and comments if I were to ask a parent to "keep their child under control".

But the worst part..? I have two 6-month old baby sisters. I don't hate them. I just hate their crying. It's hard to get anyone to understand that. It's part of biology for the crying of a races young to be distressful to the adults of that race - it alerts them that something is wrong and ensures that the child can grow up healthily. So, if it's a biological advantage to be stressful and I am particularly sensitive to noise and stress because of AS, then what's wrong with wanting to avoid the sound?

NTs just don't get it.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2011, 9:38 pm

I voted ALL, but it's primarily for screaming children and crying babies.

I don't mind dogs barking, but some have a high pitched bark/yip that is painful to hear.
Babies' crying isn't painful, but at the place where I work (a supermarket) they can be highly distracting.

But the worst is the screaming kids. Whenever I am at work, if a kid screams, it's both distracting and quite painful. And if a kid squeals, it's like the sharpned end of a pencil was driven into my ears. Oftentimes I feel like making (though I don't) as bad a noise as the kid when I'm at the till, just to let them know how painful that is when they squeal. :evil:

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2011, 6:23 pm

Dogs really bother me, even more than babies or children. I almost never like them. The worst of all is when arrive at someone's house and their dog runs up and jumps on you, and you're supposed to not act annoyed.

It's like, get the f*uck OFF of me!! !! !

I can't understand why anyone would want a dog of any size.

Check out my IMDB page!

Eternally
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Mar 2011, 12:52 pm

Humans should have been made up on a different way, Hopefully the process with kids might change in the future with new and advanced tech there is always other possibilities.

Although barking does aint that bad it depends on how long they go on for.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2011, 3:27 pm

I voted for screaming children, and I sincerely mean it bugs the HELL outta me. The neighbor's dog does go on and on and on and on and on...which IS annoying, however, the pitch of screaming will make me evacuate ASAP. There is one other thing that gets me on a primal level, and I must be the ONLY person in town bothered by this: the thumping bass on car stereos that rattle the stuff on shelves and makes the floorboards vibrate inside my home. I hate those with a purple passion, and I'm on a first-name basis with the police department because of it too. I call them so often, they pretty much know what I'm gonna say as soon as they answer the phone

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 2:32 am

I voted all of them I can't stand screaming children with that high pitch screech in shopping centres. it gets on my nerves also I feel sorry for people who wear hearing aids it must really get to them. :evil:

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 3:12 pm

I hate screaming children/babies most. It is not a cry that bothers me, but the tantrums where they scream at the top of their lungs. Well, crying bothers me too, but it takes a bit longer for just a normal "I'm hungry" cry to build up to a meltdown for me. A bark doesn't bother me unless it is more of a howl or really incessent. We have a dog next door that, if he is outside for one hour, he barks steady for one hour. I don't know how it manages to breathe like that, but it has been doing it for years, so obviously he does get in some oxygen somehow.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 3:17 pm

They're all equally annoying. On the other hand, when they are not being noisy, I really like dogs and kids. Of course, I'd rather die than admit it to someone I know. You should keep this information for future blackmail attempts on me.