Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Gliesen_Antrho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2009, 11:17 pm

I was making chitchat with someone I vaguley know, and asked if they were up to much tomorrow(Saturday)
She said "Nothing cos all my friends are gay" then quickly added "not literally". I don't follow why I need to know the sexual orientation of her friends(is this small talk?), I don't know of a figurative useage of Gay. I know it use to mean bright or good or something, but fail to see why this means she is doing nothing? Also since she is not elderley but early 20s I presume she isn't using an older meaning. Does literally mean something else in LGBT terminology?

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 11:21 pm

Maybe she was qualifying her use of the word, "ALL."

Gliesen_Antrho

22 May 2009, 11:34 pm

I hadn't thought of that. So maybe she is telling me she has a lot of gay friends, which leads to doing nothing. I can sort of follow that. I can imagine a need to justify solitary pursits exsisting in NT logic. She is doing nothing cos most friends are at an LGBT meeting or whatever I can follow. That makes a lot of sense, when parsed.

darkfire627
Raven
Raven

22 May 2009, 11:35 pm

I think she was saying that she wasn't doing anything because all of her friends were "gay" meaning it in the derogatory meaning stupid/uncool. She wasn't really commenting on their sexuality. then she said not literally to either clear up that she wasn't meaning it sexually or that she was only playfully calling them stupid.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 11:47 pm

I never would have thought of that in a million years.
Has society really degenerate to that extent?

I've heard old people say things like "I've lived too long," or something to that effect. I never thought of saying it myself before this.

darkfire627
Raven
Raven

22 May 2009, 11:56 pm

While I was going through high school I heard people using gay to mean stupid several times a day, so I learned to differentiate between that and when they really were talking about someone being homosexual. It's really only used amongst younger younger people before they've matured enough to understand how offensive it can be. I don't think society as a whole has fallen so low, but sometimes I think it is slipping.

23 May 2009, 12:18 am

When she said "not literally" she meant her friends are not homosexuals.

Gay is also used as a figure of speech and it can mean "stupid," "lame," or "uncool."

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 12:27 am

yeah, 'gay' is the new 'ret*d'

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 4:37 am

darkfire627 wrote:
I think she was saying that she wasn't doing anything because all of her friends were "gay" meaning it in the derogatory meaning stupid/uncool. She wasn't really commenting on their sexuality. then she said not literally to either clear up that she wasn't meaning it sexually or that she was only playfully calling them stupid.

I agree. She probably realised in the last moment that using the word "gay" as "stupid/uncool" was highly offensive and tried to save her statement.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 6:06 am

From my experience, when someone says something that could have a sexual or dirty meaning, they say, "Not literally," to show that they didn't mean it in that way.

They don't really mean the word "literally", literally...if that makes sense, LOL.

So the person in the example said, "My friends are gay...not GAY, just uncool."

y es como un semestre"

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 6:38 am

Not much bothers me more than this. I have a gay brother and it is not okay to use "gay" as an insult to anyone, even in play or jest. It's just wrong. So is calling someone ret*d! It just upsets people who have to live with MR.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

mark2410

23 May 2009, 6:52 am

she either meant not literally all of them are or i suspect more probably, but hard to tell from lack of context,

that most of her male friends are a bit high maintenance, particular about hair, face, clothing and such

spacephrawg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2009, 11:24 pm

darkfire627 wrote:

That is precisely what the person meant.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 4:00 pm

spacephrawg wrote:
darkfire627 wrote:

That is precisely what the person meant.

unless being gay doesn't mean being homosexual anymore, then she is being playful with her friends by cavalierly throwing other people under the bus.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 4:32 pm

Oh, the joys of being an Aspie.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:28 am

Tahitiii wrote:
I never would have thought of that in a million years.
Has society really degenerate to that extent?

I've heard old people say things like "I've lived too long," or something to that effect. I never thought of saying it myself before this.

You're kidding, right? In that context, you thought maybe she was referring to their sexuality? Or did you know what she meant all along, and this whole topic just sarcasm, like you refuse to accept how stupid it is that we use "gay" like "uncool"?