Are you starved for appreciation/praise?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Are you starved for appreciation/praise?
Poll ended at 26 Jan 2008, 2:22 pm
Yes 45%  45%  [ 19 ]
No 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Somewhat 43%  43%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 42

Kwiksnax
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2007, 8:47 am

Heh heh. It's funny that most of the posts in this thread do little to appreciate the others.

'I'm not going to appreciate you, but I want you to appreciate me!'

I notice that a lot with this site in general. It's just a whole bunch of people talking to themselves. I'm doing it myself right now.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 1:28 pm

I try to commend good posts when I see them, but there are so many that I feel like a parrot going "Well said" all the time, plus I feel people going into the thread to see a new post and only find a "wonderful post!" there, is a bit of a nuisance.

Inventor,

Aspie as I am, it took me a while to understand what you meant was to give me praise... :)
Thank you!

I believe being starved for appreciation/genuine praise is the maladie of our times, for NTs and Aspies alike.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2007, 1:48 pm

Kwiksnax wrote:
Heh heh. It's funny that most of the posts in this thread do little to appreciate the others.

'I'm not going to appreciate you, but I want you to appreciate me!'

I notice that a lot with this site in general. It's just a whole bunch of people talking to themselves.

I totally disagree. I feel a lot of interaction and support here. I usually respond in particular to what people say (for example, now).

crazyllama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2007, 2:23 pm

You have to be rich or famous to get appreciation or praise these days and I'm neither.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 3:23 pm

Appreciation is in the little things most of the times. Doing your task a little better then expected, putting some extra effort into something. At least that is what gets me some appreciation.

Giving appreciation to somebody is difficult in my opinion. Timing the right moment, etc.
Also the form of the appreciation, should it be an encouraging pat on the back, a nice word, an email or a small token.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2007, 5:00 pm

Am I starved for appreciation and/or praise? Of course! Well, actually, as a kid, I loved praise and appreciation. I always drove myself to be better than everyone else in gym class, and would throw a half-assed hissy fit when I didn't do as well as I expected. I jumped up and down and yelled out YES! multiple times when I won first place in the fourth grade science fair.

I got depressed at a Santa Claus parade that my sister was in in 10th grade because I had never been at a parade my whole life at that point in my life.

WHen I finally got to be in that same parade in 12th grade with a friend in his fire truck, I waved at people like crazy. I try to be as polite as possible to the customers at work because some of them give me compliments and in rare cases, even tips!

When I get something new for christmas or birthday that seems extravagant to me, I get excited about it and brag about it endlessly, thinking that I will become the envy of other people. This happened when I got that 60-CD shelf stereo in 11th grade for XMas. I bragged about it endlessly at work and school. I kept repeating the phrase, "It was great, I got a stereo that holds 60 CDs." I expected to become the envy of everyone at school. Instead, some were like, "Really? No way!" others said stuff like, "Mine holds 61 CDs," or, "100 watts? Weak!", and/or,"You wanna know how many mine can hold? 400."

Why do you guys think I went off on a tangent when I fould out about Jason McElwain?

Unfortunately, one problem I have had to deal with as a kid was that I wanted everyone to give me attention and praise for something well done, but yet, I usually forgot to do the same for them.

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2007, 8:20 am

Yes I am, very much so. I try not to let it debilitate me.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 8:34 am

Not as much as people think, just as they see everything I do as a desperate attempt to get attention (like now? Do they?). I stopped that a long time ago.

Praise is nice when it shows that efforts are appreciated, but that's more of a pleasant side effect rather than the ultimate goal.