Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

evangelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2005, 6:33 pm

Hi, I am a mother of an aspergers child. She is not officially diagnosed. I am just searching for support, and maybe some advice. She is a social outcast. She is constantly targeted by the other kids and seems unable to defend herself. She struggles with extreme anxiety, and seems depressed. She hardly ever smiles. and she hasn't cried for years now. She is just there, I can't explain it any other way. She is 11 years old. Is there any medication for this? or any reading material I can get my hands on? thanks
Liz

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 6:55 pm

Welcome Liz, you've come to a good place. I've had the same experience - unable to show emotion, unable to defend myself when targeted by playground bullies. This was when I was 7-11, I am 20 years old now and still haven't been officially diagnosed, and hence not put on medication, so I can't help you there.

I should say that you should be wary of some medications - some of the folks here have described some weird experiences with certain medications that include, but are not limited to, broken trains of thought and hallucinations. All that in mind, take whatever help comes to you for her but if you notice any strange side effects, or your child starts acting strangely, consult your doctor immediately.

There are some good articles here that may be of help to you... there are also links to other websites with good info - also try the links in the Google ads if you need more.

Anyway, as I can see you're rather new, welcome to Wrong Planet.

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

evangelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2005, 9:03 pm

thank you so much for talking to me. Let me ask you some questions being that you are rather young still. I am 32 and my 11 yr old seems depressed. Have you experienced this? what about being overly anxious? Yes I am very new and still exploring this web site. thanks again.
Liz

ster
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 10:07 pm

my 13 year old aspie-boy has struggled with depression and anxiety for the past 2 years. we struggled as well to get him a diagnosis ( all of his anxious behaviors were attributed by the school system as simply being willfully deviant)....at any rate, son is in private therapeutic school now . he's finally on meds that work ( we've tried numerous combinations), and he's finally sleeping.......reflecting back now, we're sure that much of his anxious behavior was because he wasn't sleeping. how's your daughter sleeping ?

evangelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2005, 10:18 pm

she doesn't sleep well. When she was little she had night terrors but now she just can't get to sleep and then it's very hard to wake her in the morning. I have given her dimetapp before to help her sleep. (shame on me, I know). I have talked with her pediatrician and he's the one that suggested the dimetapp. I have heard of putting an aquarium in their bedroom.

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Nov 2005, 10:21 pm

evangelina wrote:
she doesn't sleep well. When she was little she had night terrors but now she just can't get to sleep and then it's very hard to wake her in the morning. I have given her dimetapp before to help her sleep. (shame on me, I know). I have talked with her pediatrician and he's the one that suggested the dimetapp. I have heard of putting an aquarium in their bedroom.

Ask her psychiatrist about Rhemeron for sleeping. I think she can't sleep because she has too much going through her mind (like worrying and what not). Thats what happened to me. Rhemeron isn't a sleeping pill but it is good for people like me. It works perfectly, but thats because it isn't really a traditional sleep medicine, but then again people with asperger's aren't traditional people.

By the way, for medicines for psychological stuff, I really think a pediatrician wouldn't be as good as a psychiatrist who has experience with Asperger's Syndrome, but just ask the pediatrician about rhemeron. I hope this helps! I just had the same problems when I was her age.

Also ask about clonodine.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 10:51 pm

my son takes seroquel for sleep, and hubby takes alprazolam ( generic of something or other)
i'd go to a psychiatrist for meds....around here it's hard to find one in-network, though.

evangelina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2005, 9:55 am

ster wrote:
my son takes seroquel for sleep, and hubby takes alprazolam ( generic of something or other)
i'd go to a psychiatrist for meds....around here it's hard to find one in-network, though.

I haven't tried a phsychiatrist for meds. I'm at the point of willing to pay out of pocket