Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2006, 9:19 pm

Never, ever take a job that gives you an on-call pager or cell phone. I swear to the gods I am about to either impart my cellphone with a sudden forward motion vector towards the nearest hard flat service, or insert it rectally into the next coworker I see in person.

Since I no life and no chance of dating I spend my time surfing wikipedia and a dozen different linux related mailing lists absorbing thousands of bits of information, so I'm the person everyone comes to with questions because I usually know the answers. Why can't they understand that a *single* phone call or page when I'm not expecting it can totally ruin my day? So far my holiday has been totally ruined.

Some times I really hate being a walking encyclopedia.

Sorry just needed to vent and nobody else will listen to me vent...at least, not anyone who doesn't think i'm full of it.

North
Raven
Raven

01 Jan 2006, 9:57 pm

I've been there before, and I realized it's really not something to complain about. By absorbing all this knowledge and having people come to you for it, you've made yourself almost indisposable.

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2006, 10:09 pm

Yeah that's probably the only reason I never actually get fired from any of my jobs despite my erratic behavior. I guess that's a plus.

I think the only thing that saves my sanity some days is the fact that the restroom is dark (well, with the lights off), fairly quiet and has a door that locks. I usually spend 15-30 minutes a day sitting there on the floor in the dark just trying to keep myself in one piece.