Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Argon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2008, 5:10 am

I have only just found out what this term refers to. Personally I hate the word, I'm not a f***ing nuclear plant.

*Edit*
Ok still thinking about this and yup I really really hate this term.

If you had an uncontrolled psychotic episode say it, if you had a temper tantrum that you were unable to control say it, if you had an anxiety attack say it.

All seem very different with the psychotic being the dangerous extreme and the tantrum being childish and silly but not really life threatening etc, and no not every one understands what you mean when you plop a word so open to different interpretation into a sentence.

"OOOh then I had a meltdown...."
"you killed someone?"
"No, but I kicked ass hitting the door"

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 1:59 pm

While I don't keep it on a hotlist of favorite phrases, I think it has to be encompassing and open to cover the wide range of reactions experiences. Everything can be further refined and analyzed, but at some point can there not also be an option of simplicity as well?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Argon

21 Jul 2008, 3:54 pm

makuranososhi wrote:
While I don't keep it on a hotlist of favorite phrases, I think it has to be encompassing and open to cover the wide range of reactions experiences. Everything can be further refined and analyzed, but at some point can there not also be an option of simplicity as well?

M.

Ok thought more about it and....still really really hate this term.

If its so readily understood why did I make a thread asking for a definition...then I saw this thread...then there was another thread asking was this a 'insert hated word here'. Which kind of indicates you have to be in the know to understand some of the jargon used.

Feeling on the outside not understanding etc...sound familiar?

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 5:52 pm

Argon wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:

M.

Ok thought more about it and....still really really hate this term.

If its so readily understood why did I make a thread asking for a definition...then I saw this thread...then there was another thread asking was this a 'insert hated word here'. Which kind of indicates you have to be in the know to understand some of the jargon used.

Feeling on the outside not understanding etc...sound familiar?

Familiar, is ok - doesn't have to be loved, just needs to be accepted like it seems most of us do... can't tailor the world to the nines.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2008, 6:07 pm

What do you mean 'no but I kicked ars by hitting the door' > it doesnt make sense

Argon

22 Jul 2008, 3:02 am

SIXLUCY wrote:
What do you mean 'no but I kicked ars by hitting the door' > it doesnt make sense

I Hate the term meltdown ok. You and the others can now continue to find fault. Deal with it. Btw I wrote ass not ars.

*edit*
I can see exactly what you are doing, finding fault in something I have said so you can then say ..well didn't you just do the same. No I didn't. The phrase 'kick ass' is very very common and you would have to be extremely insular never to have heard it and what it stands for.
The term 'meltdown' seems to be coined from every slight temper tantrum to a full blown psychotic episode. Hence I personally do not like it. If you have a problem with that...tough.