Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2006, 10:49 pm

Big W (Australia's equivalent to Walmart) has been my employer for the past 3 months where I have been stacking shelves.

I have been told lately that I'm not at the level they'd like me to be at (which all the people who started around me are at) and I had a week to pick my game up or be given the boot (this week!)...

All this time I've been burning my heart out trying to keep it up, but they keep saying I'm slow. Now I have no doubt I won't be working there next week because I still have problems.

Add to the fact that work is scarce in this part of Australia, particularly before uni term starts, and the fact that any plan to save was blatantly ignored by the fact that I had money for the first time ever... and you got yourself a pretty stressful situation, where I will once again struggle to pay for uni fees and textbooks.

Anyone else been in this situation?

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2006, 8:20 am

yes i had something similar happen to me once and finally I made the choice to go to uni full time instead of stressing about it. i can't say I've ever worked as management at Big W, but you probably had very little chance of staying on to begin with (I mean that in the most supportive way BTW). Normally when companies say "we're giving you a week to improve", some sort of miracle is required. I know opportunities are limited, but if they do keep you on, do you want to work in an environment where that pressure is always in the background.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2006, 4:12 pm

That is disappointing!

Although I didn't realize what Big W was before, I know what it is now.

Regardless, what a sad story! I know I would be upset if that happened to me!