Getting My First Job - What Should I Look Out For?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2006, 9:10 am

Yeah, another question,

I'm getting my first job in the summer, at a waterpark, and I was wondering what should I look out for? What problems should I prepare myself for, and if I face prejudice in the workplace, what do I do?

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 7:48 pm

My opinion? Don't look for problems or obsess too much about that. Just work hard, do your job, and do you best to be an excellent and honest employee who is courteous both to customers and other employees.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2006, 11:09 pm

^That's probably the best advice I've heard in a while. Thanks! I'll keep that in mind when I send in the application this weekend (if I don't do it now, I probably won't get the job, which'll piss me off).

What's ironic is most of the employees are people that I already know from school, it's the customers I'm worried about, because a lot of the customers are locals that know me AND my bad reputation that I earned BEFORE I moved to where I am now. If I run in with one of those people, and they get on my case at work, I'm not really sure what I would do in that situation. I mean, if I'm working as ride attendant when it happened, all I'd have to do would be to kick him off for misconduct, but it I'm working the food service booths, working the cash registers, it'd delay me from doing my job, therefore making someone get angry, therefore someone would complain, therefore I'd get fired.

I'm too worried about this... it's not happening for, what, 5 months now?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 11:24 pm

I recommend applying for a job outside your neighborhood. That way, you're starting with a clean slate when it comes to your reputation among co-workers and customers. So even though people in your neighborhood may not like you, people at your work will have respect for you, since they didn't know you previously. In addition, the commute will create a "time buffer" between home and work, giving you time to adjust mentally.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2006, 12:04 am

Well, it is outside my neighborhood, but it's a waterpark, so it's a hub for everyone to visit. Plus, I'm not making the commute alone, as I don't have my driver's lisence, or else I'd gladly work somewhere in the same area that isn't a hub, but my mom is driving me, and she'd rather I work there because it's conveniently on her way to work, and ironically, even though I have my worries, I want to work there too, because I've been wanting to be able to run the rides like that for a long time, and swimming is definately a STRONG point for me, so I'd really do well there.

Unless I'm working food service, which isn't checked off on my application, so I don't think I've got to worry about that.

North
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2006, 3:23 am

Show up on time and be polite to your customers and co-workers, and you will do fine.