Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 9:47 am

What's the big deal about the avatar?
I don't understand. I've posted others and no one said anything.
Someone tell me if it is scary or offensive or what?

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Last edited by Neuroman on 21 Jan 2006, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2006, 10:02 am

I like it.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 3:49 pm

Personally i find the brain displeasing to look at. I enjoy know ALL about its form and function, but its actual appearence is very nasty looking. Also, im slightly worried, because i'm seeing balls and the base of the penis somewhere in the stem and midbrain of that picture. Not that that is offensive to me... but i've known others who have a skill in finding penises in things.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 4:13 pm

I am sorry but I don't really like Your new avatar. But if You like it that is up to You. It is Your avatar to do with what You want do with in the end.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 4:34 pm

I think an avatar is a way that we express ourselves on the internet, so why should we care what others think about them. My avatar is for my benefit alone, and noone else's.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 5:24 pm

I think The Brain looks awesome, Neuroman. But then again, it is me saying it and I love brains, brains, brains anything. ;)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 5:51 pm

Nomaken wrote:
Personally i find the brain displeasing to look at. I enjoy know ALL about its form and function, but its actual appearence is very nasty looking.

That amuses me seeing I find your avatar displeasing to look at, as I find it rather violent and intentionally disconcerting. At least I have it set so that animated avatars and emoticons don't play (I find them annoying in general), so it's tolerable. I mean no offense by that - it's just my take.

I don't really say anything if I dislike someone's avatar useless it's very objectional in some way, like rasicst or sexist. I try to ignore avatar in general. They don't mean much to me - hence my rather unimpressive one. In Neuromen's case I have to ignore his avatars because he changes them so much it would drive me crazy if I did.

But since he's asked, honestly I find it a little gross and repulsive, and i grew up around anatomy books (my dad's an anatomist). I can understand people finding it objectional as some people are sensitive to seeing blood, body parts and organs. Some people don't like loud noises, some don't like flourescent lights, and some don't want images of bodily organs shoved in their face. It's all on the same level if you ask me.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 7:51 pm

When i found this image i saw eyebrows, a nose, a moustache and a tongue stuck out.

so i added eyes.

i can't imagine any part of my marvelous body to be repulsive, though i have not studied anatomy. it amazes me that it contains so many systems working so well together. it also amazes me that hard as we try, in general it's pretty hard to make it malfunction.

i had no idea my numerous avatar changes were so closely followed. none really has represented me. maybe i need to figure out what i want to be when i grow up.

Peter Pan?

Nah.
he's too spooky

Winston Churchill

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 8:25 pm

Your new avatar is COOL!! !

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2006, 5:58 am

Neuroman wrote:
i can't imagine any part of my marvelous body to be repulsive, though i have not studied anatomy. it amazes me that it contains so many systems working so well together. it also amazes me that hard as we try, in general it's pretty hard to make it malfunction.

Neuroman,
It appears to be an image of the bottom of a human brain that has been severed from the spinal cord but the staring eyes are incongruous with this image and disturb me for some reason.

I do not agree that severed human body parts make good avatars because they can be disturbing to many people.

I would not comment on another person's avatar choice under normal circumstances but you asked for input.

Cade wrote:
At least I have it set so that animated avatars and emoticons don't play (I find them annoying in general), so it's tolerable.

Cade, how do you set it so animated images do not move? I would like to do this as well.

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 9:34 am

It looks more like a cookie than a brain.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 9:40 am

Wow
guess its all in the intepretation. one person's severed body part is another person's head shot.

Winston Churchill

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 10:50 pm

I thought it was funny.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

24 Jan 2006, 5:10 am

it is kind of weird, but totally better than peter pan....