Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

stjimmy2500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2005, 5:09 pm

Hey
Well i was wondering what you guys thought was the best thing to study as an aspie or someone on the spectrum.What do think would be the hardest thing about college in general?I like so many things and am good at a lot of things too.So..What are good things to study when you are on the spectrum?I mean as an aspie you have needs and wants that are different from a NT.

midge
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2005, 7:15 pm

I like a lot of different subjects as well, so I find college in general to be a great place to pursue my interests. The nice thing is, even if you focus on one particular subject-your major that is-many colleges require you to take a lot of electives in a wide variety of subjects and there is usually a lot of freedom in terms of which ones you can choose :) As far as choosing what to study, is there any subject that interests you above others? Also, is there a particular career you would like to have more than any other? I have an interest in both natural science and the liberal arts, and I chose out of all the possiblities English since it, along with art, is my favorite subject and I want to have a career in it. Otherwise, you can always take a general course of study for the first year until you know what you want to do. I'd say the hardest part is probably just the change in general, and it might be tough to live on campus or with roommates although I can't say much on this as I commute from home. All and all though, it hasn't been too difficult for me, so it might not be for you either :) Now if you love science (I do) I don't want to discourage you at all, but science labs can be difficult for aspies-they were difficult for me, although I still managed to get good grades in them, so it is still possible to do well. Otherwise, I guess I'd have to say the best thing to study is the thing you are most interested in.

stjimmy2500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2005, 7:43 pm

Hey thanks Midge :D any one else that would be cool
but.. i think i should give more infomation my main interests
academics anyway are physics,math,economics,philosophy and engineering seems really cool too.
but.. I also like many other humanites I also extermely like social sciences I suppose becuse that i want to understand society but do you think that the so-called aspie friendly-ness would be higher in pure science/math engineering or computers.
I do know from what i know about philosophy that it must be pretty aspie friendly becuse many famous philosophers were most likely autistic
like Wittgensiten my favourite phiolospher.
But in terms of skill and interest i like economics,physics,math,politics,biology and philosophy the best!
well any opinions on this would be cool :D
Thanks!

mentalman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2005, 2:03 am

Hey stjimmy2500,

Midge had the right idea - make sure and attend a school that has 'general education requirements' in a broad specturm of subjects - not a vocational/technical school necessarily.

I am currently majoring in Computer Technology at the University of Montana's College of Technology in Missoula. It's a vo-tech, small campus, with mostly technical course, but we still have some general education requirements - I plan to transfer eventually to a four-year degree at the 'main' or 'mountain' campus in town, and I'll have to take 6 credits in each of 7 different 'perspectives' - Expressive Arts, Social Sciences, and at least 2 communications courses -just to name a few.

If you want to focus on mathematics/economics - you might want to get a Business degree that combines a mathematical/statistical approach with economic courses. You could also consider a degree in Geography, and then study the geographic perspective of politics, economics, or whatever - especially using Geographic Information Systems - a software program that integrates databases of information with maps and allows you to ask questions. I have a Certificate in GIS so I can answer a lot of the basic questions about it if you are interested.

Hope this helps,

mentalman

stjimmy2500 wrote:
Hey thanks Midge :D any one else that would be cool
but.. i think i should give more infomation my main interests
academics anyway are physics,math,economics,philosophy and engineering seems really cool too.
but.. I also like many other humanites I also extermely like social sciences I suppose becuse that i want to understand society but do you think that the so-called aspie friendly-ness would be higher in pure science/math engineering or computers.
I do know from what i know about philosophy that it must be pretty aspie friendly becuse many famous philosophers were most likely autistic
like Wittgensiten my favourite phiolospher.
But in terms of skill and interest i like economics,physics,math,politics,biology and philosophy the best!
well any opinions on this would be cool :D
Thanks!

stjimmy2500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2005, 2:13 am

Well i think that the goal of college and any type of study is two-fold to give you a career and to educate you now which you want first is up to you.

Last edited by stjimmy2500 on 30 Jan 2005, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

stjimmy2500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jan 2005, 2:14 am

Heh on the part of engineering and business studies i am very lukewarm
because i think that i should and everyone should be getting a liberal arts education.I do like engineering but doesn't physics sound broader,more intersting and mind enriching.Business stuidies traps you and now that I think about it Liberal arts in particular frees you
However engineering is very good beacuse it covers everthing coursewise yet business yuck!

I still would like more opinions and also I hope this thread is helping others learn about what they like in college and school subjects in general

Well Hope to hear More from you guys :D
thanks for all the posts and may more come!

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2005, 4:29 am

stjimmy2500 wrote:
Business stuidies traps you....

That's true, unless you have a career in mind. Plenty of economics there though, and some applied math and psychology, IT topics,etc. And accounting/finance which I enjoyed - very structured.

On the other hand, it is vocational so if you want to do something in the commercial sector its a plus, anything else and you will have to able to demonstrate transferable skills (it does leave you well equipped for the job market, if you get to use it).

From a nourishing your brain point of view, it doesn't much compared to liberal arts, but there is plenty of (applied) social science in there. Personally if I had my chance again I would stick with social sciences/humanities rather than business, as even from a vocational viewpoint most of us, me included, have a hard time fitting into a corporate environment - without that as a goal the course isnt worth wading through.

I liked computing and economics, also history, geography, politics, sociology, philosophy... on your poll it seemed to cross a couple of categories so didnt vote :P

Oh and mentalman - GIS sounds good to me (geography, politics, MAPS?? woo yay!), have you got any links?

Dunc (planning his next project, heh)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Dan
Raven
Raven

30 Jan 2005, 6:51 am

midge wrote:
I like a lot of different subjects as well, so I find college in general to be a great place to pursue my interests. The nice thing is, even if you focus on one particular subject-your major that is-many colleges require you to take a lot of electives in a wide variety of subjects and there is usually a lot of freedom in terms of which ones you can choose :)

Unless you're a Computer Engineering major (like I was as an undergrad), in which case you have limited class choices and no free electives. (That's changed recently; current freshman may now take a whopping 3 hours of free electives.)

I wish I had done CPSC intead of CECN. I'd have had more flexibility about courses (and would probably have graduated on time), and more importantly, no senior design project!

TaliDaRadical
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2005, 10:23 pm

I was going to major in music, but then I got my rejection slip from Julliard (a music school around these partz). Anyways, I don't think they take very many women in rap.

One good major is architecture because it's a slackass job. I am probably gonna major in it because, dude, you get to draw all day and get good grades and get paid! That's like so easy and stupid and it's an untapped well of opportunity. You also get to yell at as*hole construction workers who are legally barred from sexually harassing you.
Another good major is cosmetology. You get to fix people's hair and get paid for it, that's like a dream job, man! No more getting in trouble for cornrowing kids' hair in class.