Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2004, 11:09 pm

I suspect at least two of my classmates in a couple of my computer science classes this semester may have Asperger's syndrome or autism. One of them tends to have a flat affect and monotone voice and the other has a rather untidy appearance and tends to ask the professor a lot of questions (in a digital logic/circuit design class). The possibility that there may be fellow aspies in some of my classes is pretty exciting.

Do any of you have fellow aspies among your fellow classmates?

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2004, 11:49 pm

I don't have anyone in any of my classes that appear to be aspie.

I've indentified two guys who live in the large residence hall that is right next to my hall, that have all the outward physcial manifestations of aspergers, but I have yet to try and talk to any of them.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2004, 5:05 am

I think people with aspergers are more common than we think, the majority undiognosed.

Mum tutors kids, and knowing about aspergers because I have it, says at least half the kids she tutors have it. Their parents seem to think there's nothing wrong.

And alot of parents are neglectful.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2004, 6:22 am

There are people in my classes that seem to have aspie qualities. I think it's not an uncommon occurence at an art school. Many of my friends have AS qualities (but are not AS) as well, just because a lot of artists tend to "walk to the beat of a different drum."

Quote:
And alot of parents are neglectful.

I wouldn't say that, hale_bopp. They may simply just be unaware of the condition. If they are aware, they may be in denial of the fact.

My parents don't seem to think there is anything "wrong" with me, as far as I can tell. But that's because I don't tell them about all the problems that I have.

chook
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2004, 6:40 am

my son was diagnosed aspergers at nine. When I told the school, they had a special class running for aspergers children, my child went to one each day for one period to teach him social skills. I was amazed that they had enough aspergers children to warrant a program to be run at the school.
When my other child started the school four years later there was a young boy with aspergers in his class. that boy and my elder child are best friends as they have so much in common even though there is an age gap.
If you study people, you will find they all have some traits of aspergers however mild.

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2004, 9:22 pm

I go to a technology magnet school. My therapist personally says she knows 6 that go there. I strongly suspect there are more, and I think I've met a few. I had one flat out tell me when I asked. (I was a little bit socially oblivious that year...so I asked questions like that) In the library, a boy said hi. I said hi back; and he went on for half an hour to tell me about VW Beetles and his collection of them. I was polite, because I figured it seemed like AS to me.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2004, 4:18 am

Quote:
They may simply just be unaware of the condition. If they are aware, they may be in denial of the fact.

True. But some parents are just neglectful in general whether their child has AS or not..

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2004, 7:14 am

Yes, you have a point there. I didn't mean to say that parents are never neglectful, I just thought you were referring to parents who ignore the condition, specifically.

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2004, 6:44 pm

I had a friend in 7th grade who was diagnosed w/ AS during the last part of the year. it explained a lot, such as why we always got along :lol: . Unfortunately, I haven't heard from him since he started homeschoooling this year. My mother says that we'll start homeschooling when heck freezes over :lol: . she says that, since schools are forced to take money from their budget to assist children w/ special needs, that they try to fight it and drive them into homeschooling so they don't have to pay. That is something, according to her, that will never happen as long as i'm in school and she's alive. Such a great mom. Unfortunately, his mom doesn't have that fighting spirit, so now he's homeschooled. makes you want to hurt somebody on the Board of Education, doesn't it?

Also, he still hasn't returned my Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time strategy guide! I'm never going to get it back now!

See ya...
Archmage

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2004, 11:46 pm

I am not aware of anyone in my school that has actually been diagnosed, but I do see a lot of tendencies in some a lot of students and teachers. Most of my friends are either art geeks or computer nerds. I am also in Knowledge Bowl, so obviously see a lot of it there. I joke with one of my friends that I think she has it too, mostly because she is obsessive and a little anti-social (mainly by choice :lol: ).

I guess it depends on the student, but in some ways I think homeschooling may not be that great for people with AS. Going to school forces us to be social (somewhat). :wink:

Also I hope no one was offended by the 'art geek' or 'computer nerd' statement. I meant that in a loving way. They are my friends, after all.

Therblig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2005, 7:33 pm

One of my good friends has AS.

In junior high, our school had regular classes, pre advanced placement for all academic courses, and Gifted and Talented as a language arts/history lump. The GT kids were a group of about 15, who supposedly learned differently. A fast paced, more creative way of learning is what we were told. One kule thing (that's how I have come to spell "cool") was that all three years of junior high not only did we have the same students in the class, but also the same teacher for L.A. We weren't actually supposed to have the same teacher, but she kept moving up grade levels with our class. Now, that we're in high school she's applying for a job to teach us L.A. there too, even though they don't offer the GT program past ninth grade.

All of that was beside the point, but when I talk about something I elaborate A LOT.

Anyway, this guy speaks pretty monotone and is known as the music genius of the school. He plays any instrument he picks up with better style and ease than someone who has been playing it for years. However, little known to any save his teachers and closest friends, he is also the most amazing writer I have ever met. The teachers also say that I'm a very advanced writer. I'm not trying to brag that's just what they tell me. The point is, I totally have had a crush on him for years and had to get that off my chest. Aahh...feels good to let loose of that secret.

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2005, 8:55 am

As my wife has learned what these "aspie" traits are, she says she can see them in a lot of people.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2005, 5:05 am

Tekneek wrote:
As my wife has learned what these "aspie" traits are, she says she can see them in a lot of people.

That sounds exactly like my Mum. She does not have the condition, but she's had to live with people that have it (dad and myself), and she can see it eaily in other people, too.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2005, 11:11 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I suspect at least two of my classmates in a couple of my computer science classes this semester may have Asperger's syndrome or autism. One of them tends to have a flat affect and monotone voice and the other has a rather untidy appearance and tends to ask the professor a lot of questions (in a digital logic/circuit design class). The possibility that there may be fellow aspies in some of my classes is pretty exciting.

Do any of you have fellow aspies among your fellow classmates?

I'm pretty sure I have (I especially keep my eye out for aspie girls), but sometimes I think I'm stretching it just a little too much. There've been few if any obvious aspies and I usually end up kind of looking for shadow traits. Usually there are at least 1 or 2 girls and probably twice as many guys who'll have some traits.

Problem is, aside from humoring my desire to at least be able to spot people out, it really doesn't do much good. It's like the more mild and well consealed your AS is, the less common ground it really ammounts to.