Favorite Shakespeare play and/or character

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 12:53 am

I just recieved the greatest gift in the entire world: the complete, unabridged works of William Shakespeare! I am in heaven! Anyway...

My most favorite of all his plays is Hamlet. I fell in love with the story when I was ten, and I've never grown out of it. I have six different copies of Hamlet (well, seven now), and the Hamlet movies done by Mel Gibson, Ethan Hawke, and Kenneth Branagh, respectively. (I am waiting for Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET to come out on DVD so I can retire my old VHS, which is getting fuzzy. :cry:)

Does anyone else have a favorite Shakespeare play or character?

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 2:06 am

For a whole play, probably 12th Night.

Close run by Henry V and A Midsummer Night's Dream, prhps for particular scenes and speeches.

Favourite character? In a bad mood, it's got to be Macbeth. Wonderful dark quotes.

"Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 9:13 am

Yay for Hamlet lovers! I love Hamlet, A Midsummer Night's Dream and I like Romeo and Juliet, as well. Without a doubt, Hamlet is Shakespeare's best play, in my opinion, and I think it is quite hilarious to listen to Hamlet make fun of Polonius without the advisor even realising it.

As for character, I'd have to say either Mercutio (Romeo and Juliet) because he is a fun character to read and Puck/Robin Goodfellow (A Midsummer Night's Dream).

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2006, 11:56 pm

A Midnight Summer's Dream is my absolute favorite. When it comes to characters I loved Puck and poor Titania. I really loved that part where the two men are given the potion and start liking Titania (read the story and you'll understand what I'm talking about.)

These lines play over and over in my head. I just love how softly it was ended.

Puck: "If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. Gentles, do not reprehend. If you pardon, we will mend. Else the Puck a liar call. And so good night unto you all. Give me your hands, if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends."

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you