Page 15 of 15 [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Should eradicating Austism be considered a hate crime?
yes 51%  51%  [ 65 ]
no 19%  19%  [ 24 ]
maybe, given the right circumstances 23%  23%  [ 30 ]
I don't know 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 128

whitelightning777
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2009, 9:11 pm

morning_after wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
maybe, given the right circumstances

And which circumstances do you think it should be a hate crime?

Generally, a hate crime is either the destruction of property, intimidation (direct such as threats) or violence. In terms of a cure, we need to ask the following question(s). Does "the cure" increase a person's freedom and potentially prosperity or not? If more options are on the table for an autistic person to choose from, no problem. Another words 100% voluntarily should be the only way.

Frankly, I'm sick of NOT knowing what others are thinking, of being forced to earn far below what my IQ would otherwise limit me to earning, of not being able to afford my own home, of not being able to provide a future for my girlfriend because I'm broke, of debt and alienation.

Hell, I would love to have Deanna Troy's talent from Star Trek the Next generation. She was an empath who could read minds. This would solve all of my problems and give me a compitative edge such like much of the world has never seen.

Hell, drug addicts can choose to go to rehab or not or to work a program or not. Those with phobias can choose whether or not to face them with treatment and overcome them. Being constrained by a mental "illness" or let's say a trait which sets one apart is a bad thing. Just ask any homosexual, or transexual, or a paralized person or a dyslekic person if you don't believe me.

We need more research, not nonsense like Autism speaks which seeks to "cure" people even if they can learn to cope and find a safe self sufficient place in the world.

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jun 2009, 7:25 am

Should eradicating autism be a hate crame?

f**k. yes.

Some of the greatest thinkers have been thought to be gifted with autism/ aspergers.

We are perhaps one of the largest group of those mentally gifted but we have no protection from the stupid, inferior masses.

I ask...how many of us have already been killed off whether literally or figuratively in the manner of over-prescription?

I envision a world were Autistics are their own people, seperate from the foolish proletariot. The intelligentsia if you will, if I may borrow another communist term.

They have hate crimes labelled for attacks against Jews, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians...it just shows how shallow and stupid society is that they only consider the material and not the immaterial or rather the unseen.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:18 pm

Gifted-Monster wrote:
Should eradicating autism be a hate crame?

f**k. yes.

Some of the greatest thinkers have been thought to be gifted with autism/ aspergers.

We are perhaps one of the largest group of those mentally gifted but we have no protection from the stupid, inferior masses.

I envision a world were Autistics are their own people, seperate from the foolish proletariot. The intelligentsia if you will, if I may borrow another communist term.

They have hate crimes labelled for attacks against Jews, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians...it just shows how shallow and stupid society is that they only consider the material and not the immaterial or rather the unseen.

Yeah... that would be great, a culture full of people unable to function together, sounds like paradise. :lol:
Tones of people unable to contribute to their culture and the people growth and only do the things that interest them at the moment (and several major population shutdowns due to depression outbursts)... somehow I can't really see that work out very well. :D

Yes, it's a gift, but it still comes at a price, never forget that.

Quote:
I ask...how many of us have already been killed off whether literally or figuratively in the manner of over-prescription?

You are starting to sound like one of those self-apointed victims that suffers the collective pain whilst sitting safe and sound somewhere els.

No_Exit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2009, 4:53 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
Yeah... that would be great, a culture full of people unable to function together, sounds like paradise. :lol:
Tones of people unable to contribute to their culture and the people growth and only do the things that interest them at the moment (and several major population shutdowns due to depression outbursts)... somehow I can't really see that work out very well. :D

Are you describing the non-AS population we live amongst? Or is there something distinctly different about non-AS folks overseas? 8O

Perhaps it's different overseas. But, in the US, non-AS folks also exhibit a great deal of dysfunction, tend to do only those things that interest them, and to be depressed.

Silvervarg wrote:

Is there anything that does not come with a price?

That said, your observation goes to the point of the post/poll. The point, as I see it, is to do something to reduce that price by encouraging non-AS people to learn more about AS, rather than blindly endeavoring to eradicate a very important segment of the population. Without AS tendencies (whether clinically significant or not), I would be willing to bet that much of the technology that you rely on for your day-to-day existence would likely not exist. Further, the technologies required to better the world going forward would also be much more difficult to acquire without the talents afforded by AS.

"Benefitting from a Logical Spectrum Equilibrium"

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 6:19 am

No_Exit wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:

Are you describing the non-AS population we live amongst? Or is there something distinctly different about non-AS folks overseas? 8O

Perhaps it's different overseas. But, in the US, non-AS folks also exhibit a great deal of dysfunction, tend to do only those things that interest them, and to be depressed.

I have to say, (atleast here) the NTs are functioning rather well thogether and seems pretty content with their lives. Better than we would I would guess. ^^

Quote:
Silvervarg wrote:

Is there anything that does not come with a price?

That said, your observation goes to the point of the post/poll. The point, as I see it, is to do something to reduce that price by encouraging non-AS people to learn more about AS, rather than blindly endeavoring to eradicate a very important segment of the population. Without AS tendencies (whether clinically significant or not), I would be willing to bet that much of the technology that you rely on for your day-to-day existence would likely not exist. Further, the technologies required to better the world going forward would also be much more difficult to acquire without the talents afforded by AS.

No, but people tend to forget that when they are reviewing the good sides.

Indeed, I often see NTs as switze army knife, and AS as a more specific tool. The first one is handy in the everyday situations, but we are made for a more specified purpose.
Sadly, we are the most unappriciated tool ever...

Gifted-Monster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2009, 6:31 am

I find it amusing you judge me so Silver.

I have suffered, as has everyone else. And it is a fair point. Medications like zoloft for instance reduce sensitivity. Now whilst useful for occasians such as big events...it also dims us. Our sensitivity makes us who we are.

Over-prescription has basically taught an entire generation of autistics to rely on medication instead of working through their gift.

*Shrugs*

And I am far from safe and sound.

And who says autistics/ aspies cannot function together? Has it ever been tried?

No_Exit

17 Jun 2009, 11:08 am

Gifted-Monster wrote:

I have suffered, as has everyone else. And it is a fair point. Medications like zoloft for instance reduce sensitivity. Now whilst useful for occasians such as big events...it also dims us. Our sensitivity makes us who we are.

Over-prescription has basically taught an entire generation of autistics to rely on medication instead of working through their gift.

I dunno. I lived the first 40 years of life without meds. I find the meds help me cope better with an NT driven world, without dimming the intellectual capabilities that come with the AS. I think each person needs to make their own choice with respect to meds.

Gifted-Monster wrote:
And who says autistics/ aspies cannot function together? Has it ever been tried?

I think we do quite well together... My son and I get along great, though we struggle from time-to-time with non-AS folks ... like his poor mom (my poor wife). :) While we purportedly lack empathy, I know exactly what he is thinking, feeling, etc without him even saying a word.

I also notice that people in high tech environments tend to get along very well, and these are places where AS appears more frequent. It's not exactly empirical evidence. But, I would bet that if you did test this notion empirically, you'd find that AS people get along famously with other AS people... perhaps even better than non-AS people get along with other non-AS people.

(Note I did not say NT people, as there is no such thing. We all have strengths and weaknesses which are hard wired into our brains at birth and/or over time through conditioning. It just so happens that AS people, on average, differ more than non-AS people on the social dimension, which makes us stand out a bit more.)

"Benefitting from a Logical Spectrum Equilibrium"

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 6:05 am

Gifted-Monster wrote:

From my point of view, most people here hasn't suffered. I can agree that everyone has their rough periods in life when they were unhappy, but that is not the same thing as suffering.

Quote:

Everyone choses their own path.

Quote:
And I am far from safe and sound.

Since I have no idea how your living conditions are and why, I can't make any statement on the matter.

Quote:

Most likley no it haven't, but look at the basis for cooperation for a moment, it's based on the welfare of the group, not the individual, the best ones are insects, the more insect you are, the better teamplayer you are, since "we" (atleast you) consider us very gifted, I recon you lack a lot of this "insect thinking".

And remeber, we're not talking about an isolated area within a NT-county (as we are now) but an entire nation without NTs.
No, I don't think that would work at all.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 8:34 am

We could try. :lol: