Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 12:15 am

Back on Monday, I had a near embarrasment in one of my classes. Instead of previous times where people pointed me out for amusment, this time the wonders of sensory intergration dysfunction would be the instigator.

I was in my lab session for my science class, I had my seat near the door and the door was open to the room.

About 30 minutes into class while my instructor was giving the demo for what we were to be doing, somebody came down the hall pushing cart. Inside that cart was some kind of metal stuff. The wheels must have covered with grime since what ever in was that cart was making a god-awful rattling racket.

For about 15 seconds I was taken back 20 years in time when I would have rather been dead then have to listen to certain things. I began to shake/shudder really bad as I tried my best to tolerate the noise assult on my ears. I was about to cover my ears an scream in agony when the cart moved past the room and the noise began to quickly subside.

Amazingly during my laspe, no noticed the agony I was in, including my lab instructor who was standing three feet from me the whole time.

Whewww.... I dodged on there.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 2:16 am

Do you have musican's ear plugs? Thats what my friend had her son wear so that he can be around people when they were eating. Worked really well for him. Also I read in Readers Digest years ago, that a child diagnosed with severe autism...turned out her hearing was out of wack, they gave her some kind of ear plugs and it corrected the problem. These ear plugs actually train the ears some how to hear properly, and the problem gets corrected. My friend's son dosn't need them anymore. As for my friends son, they didn't know he had asperger's, it was a musician friend who gave him the plugs, I don't know what kind you would get. hope this helps.

tweedee5
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Mar 2005, 7:57 am

how are musician's earplugs different from the orange spongy ones i get at riteaid?

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2005, 10:49 am

What are musician's earplugs and how are they specific ? How do you get them ?

Faraquet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2005, 12:50 pm

Those earplugs are called "Hear-os." Thats the brand anyway. They are segmented and you can buy them at the music store. At least in the US.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 6:40 pm

I used ear plugs at the start of last semester to get to sleep at night becasue there was just too much noise going on at night for me to feel at ease, plus my roomate snored very loud.

However I don't want to wear them during the day since I would be able to hear others. Are these "musician earplugs" selective in what they block out?

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2005, 2:48 pm

Faraquet wrote:
Those earplugs are called "Hear-os." Thats the brand anyway. They are segmented and you can buy them at the music store. At least in the US.

Depending on who your drugstore is, you should also be able to find them there. Here's the http://www.hearos.com/retailers.htm list.