Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2005, 8:25 am

Please underline, colour, or otherwise mark all links. Sometimes I see a short answer to a question and don't even notice the answer was actually a link because the text looks the same. I like the way they do it on slashdot -- any time there's a link in the text they automatically add [domain.name] after the link so you not only know it's a link but can see what site it links to without having to mouse over it and check the status bar. They added that feature to stop people from posting links to goatse.cx with innocuous link text.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2005, 1:47 am

I think the links text is slightly smaller than the plain, but I agree, it is annoying.

codeman38
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2005, 11:23 am

I'm 'upping' this post because I still have trouble sometimes telling whether text is a link or not. I realize there's a *slight* font size difference, but it can sometimes really be hard to tell, especially when the link is on a line by itself.

Just underlining the links would make things about ten times better.

Also, why are links created by typing the URL directly -- like http://www.zone38.net/ -- underlined, while links created with the URL tag like this not? Inconsistencies like that bug me to no end.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2005, 2:42 pm

codeman38 wrote:
Also, why are links created by typing the URL directly -- like http://www.zone38.net/ -- underlined, while links created with the URL tag like this not? Inconsistencies like that bug me to no end.

The difference there is that when the URL tags are used WP specifies the format for the link (presumably using CSS) and that format turns off the underline. When the link is just entered as text WP doesn't send any formatting, and some browsers (namely FireFox) convert the text into a link based on pattern matching and you get the browser's default link format.