Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Fixer_Girl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2010, 8:38 am

Hi all,

My sister in law (SIL) is Bipolar; however I think that she's actually suffering from a form of paranoid schizophrenia.

The thing is, I can't seem to get through to her; every time I open my mouth, she threatens me. If I try to speak to her about how she feels, she thinks I'm attacking her and that I'm trying to take "Everyone" away from her - that's how she puts it.

It's really quite scary, as she runs a child care facility for the US Air Force (at their biggest base) and has expressed in the past that she's been close to suicide.

She's for want of a better expression 'off her trolley'. I invited her to live with my husband and me; we also offered to put her through college again - as she constantly complains about how much she HATES her job and everyone she works with - and she interpreted the situation as her moving in as a kind of second wife to my husband. Now, take into account that my husband is her BIOLOGICAL brother! My hubby was totally freaked out by her actions - as was I.

What the heck do I do about that?

If she's suicidal, and she's running a child day facility on a military base - the ramifications could be massively disastrous.

I don't know what to do about the situation, and I don't think it's legal of me to approach her employer. I'm pretty sure that could be considered as defamation of character and slander - as she doesn't have a formal diagnosis of schizophrenia at this time, although she has been diagnosed as Bipolar.

She also has no idea how to take her medication, and doesn't adhere to her prescribed meds at the best of times. When she last visited, she didn't bring any meds with her - which I can only assume makes her situation worse.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2010, 12:15 pm

If she doesn't want help there is really nothing you can do. She will have to let something drastic make her want to take meds.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 6:38 am

I would be a bit careful and don't push things. I'm not a sufferer of schizophrenia or bi-polar but folks (here, IRL) have tried to 'help' me behind the back and 'that' ruined my social life almost completely. Maybe try talking to her directly, just friendly and open, not making any accusations (not saying you do ofc.) Um, don't know.. but I guess what I'm trying to say is.. that it is her life and the best of intentions can do quite a bit of harm.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2010, 9:42 am

Fixer_Girl wrote:
... every time I open my mouth, she threatens me. If I try to speak to her about how she feels ...

Stop using the word "You" whenever you talk with her. Talk with her about yourself or about whatever else, but never about her.

Fixer_Girl wrote:
It's really quite scary, as she runs a child care facility ... has expressed in the past that she's been close to suicide ...

If she's suicidal, and she's running a child day facility ... the ramifications could be massively disastrous.

I don't know what to do about the situation, and I don't think it's legal of me to approach her employer. I'm pretty sure that could be considered as defamation of character and slander - as she doesn't have a formal diagnosis of schizophrenia at this time, although she has been diagnosed as Bipolar.

She also has no idea how to take her medication, and doesn't adhere to her prescribed meds at the best of times. When she last visited, she didn't bring any meds with her - which I can only assume makes her situation worse.

Any suggestions?

Print this out and send it to the day-care facility ... and you do not need to fear any defamation or slander charge.