Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2005, 2:09 pm

I have been told that when other people hear my own thoughts, they consider them philosophical. I have a very involved thought process. Yet, when other people say something in an intelligent way, I tend to misunderstand it. Does anyone know why this is?

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2005, 11:59 pm

People say that about me, too. I find that if I cannot make an image of what the person is saying in my mind, it sometimes doesn't register or make sense to me.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2005, 12:14 am

larsenjw92286 wrote:
I have been told that when other people hear my own thoughts, they consider them philosophical. I have a very involved thought process. Yet, when other people say something in an intelligent way, I tend to misunderstand it.

I am the same way. I have no clue why. Sorry I don't have an answer.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2005, 11:08 am

Quote:
I have been told that when other people hear my own thoughts,

In what way do they hear your thoughts. I'm asking because I wanted to answer but I thought it might be unrelated. If question is answered I think I will share my thought.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2005, 4:20 pm

People hear my thoughts when they are face to face with me. When I tell them what is going on in my right mind, I understand it. However, when other people tell me what is going on in their right minds, I tend to misunderstand it. It's not that they have a smaller vocabulary, but I just think that I interpret their thoughts the wrong way. I don't think I understand what they mean sometimes.

cornince
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2005, 4:22 pm

I have the same problem, but I'm working on it. I'm trying to consider the different things people may be trying to say, rather than going with the first inclination.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2005, 10:21 am

Quote:
Yet, when other people say something in an intelligent way, I tend to misunderstand it. Does anyone know why this is?

Maybe 'our' communication method need complementary material.(what do I mean with this?)
<br><br>
Text and speech might not be enough to understand easily what someone is trying to say. If a person shows a picture that is related to what the person is saying it might be easier for me to understand what the person is trying to tell me. This is just a thought.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 11:29 am

I am not sure if that would help. As silly as it sounds, people have to speak "plain English" to me sometimes. This is proof that everyone learns differently.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2005, 10:25 am

larsenjw92286 wrote:
I have been told that when other people hear my own thoughts, they consider them philosophical. I have a very involved thought process. Yet, when other people say something in an intelligent way, I tend to misunderstand it. Does anyone know why this is?

When other people say something in an intelligent way do you not understand the words they are using?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2005, 6:47 pm

It depends on the context in which someone is speaking. If I have heard a certain context before, I understand it.