Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2010, 1:54 pm

I have a tiny amount of a brain disorder called aphasia, which parts of the brain don't process information a lot and I have to have someone repeat it over until I understand it completely. I was able to work around it. I don't know how but I was successful at it. It's mostly related to strokes and my mom doesn't know how I got it but I was born with it. Because I have Asperger's as well, I had a hard time with talking to people growing up.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:55 am

I don't know if I have aphasia, but I've always had trouble finding the proper way to express what I want to say. I've never met anyone else who has the problem to my extent either. I often record what others say, because I like how they express it better than how I would. This can be part of a schizo spectrum disorder, where thoughts and ideas are disorganized, and communication is difficult.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 6:04 am

more and more often as i age, i seem to lose the power of speech at critical moments. this is disquieting and embarrassing.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:36 pm

When I am very stressed I get disorganized speech and at its worst it does appear to be like Aphasia where I literally can't even form words. When I am having a psychotic break this happens more often and yes that is why I get stressed. I do enjoy the positive psychotic breaks where I think I am going to change the world for the positive and make hundreds of millions of dollars!! I love it but when reality sets in the crash like in the stock market happens. Everything's great says someone I know.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 5:15 pm

Maybe it's related to "central auditory processing disorder"? That's not uncommon in people on the spectrum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_au ... g_disorder

I relate to having to have spoken things repeated, though in I found I could loop the sound in my head until it 'clicked.' The downside is the processing delay, though. I have people walk away because of that at times. And as I get older I just don't have the energy to push my brain every second (of interaction) to go faster.

As far as speaking, when I get really sleep deprived I start stuttering, and have a lot of word finding problems. And a few times couldn't seem to recall how to say any words at all (for a short time), which was weird.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2010, 8:16 am

It's a good theory, but there's more to my situation.

Here's the link,

sallyfisher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2010, 7:55 pm

i suspect my son has this,he has quite severe dyspraxia which has been diagnosed but hes also got the diagnosis of speech and language disorder. with my son he can say single words perfectly and can also sound every letter but within a sentence it somehow gets jumbled and he either misses the front or end letters off words. with my sons dyspraxia it really effects his memory and i believe this then impacts on his speech.

swiftlorain
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2010, 12:50 pm

I too suspect my Aspie son has this language disorder. It's what clued us in to his diagnosis, yet, the psychologist that evaluated him missed this part of his disability.He has difficulty writing papers for as long as he's been in school (since first grade). He's gotten worse over the years despite his achivements in college. I don't see how he can be a functioning member of society if he continues to be this way. Does speech therapy help? We're looking into having him see one, but I'm not sure where to find a therapist who specializes in this disorder, and how long before he's able to communicate enough to go back to college to complete his degree in engineering.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2010, 9:51 am

sallyfisher wrote:
i suspect my son has this,he has quite severe dyspraxia which has been diagnosed but hes also got the diagnosis of speech and language disorder. with my son he can say single words perfectly and can also sound every letter but within a sentence it somehow gets jumbled and he either misses the front or end letters off words. with my sons dyspraxia it really effects his memory and i believe this then impacts on his speech.

You should look into finding a speech and language therapist for your son to see if your son's situation can be corrected. It seems that the understanding part of his brain doesn't translate sentences well. That's all I can tell you for now. Good luck.

Hyperreal_Logic
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2010, 8:24 pm

I also have an aphasic condition. However, mine is due to the thought disorder of schizoaffective disorder. When I try to speak, my thoughts become disorganized due to anxiety, and it becomes difficult to express my thoughts verbally and vocally. I am much better when typing or writing because I have time to think about what to say, and to make sure it makes sense and expresses my ideas clearly.