Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2010, 6:16 am

Hi everyone. I'm being referred to a mental health team by my school counsellor for people aged 16-18. She suggested it to me and after a few weeks of thought I decided to accept the proposition. It's likely that I won't start being assessed for another 2 months or so, but I've been on the website for the group and I'm feeling pretty anxious because I don't even understand all of the things it's talking about. I also mentioned to my counsellor last week that I seriously think I might have Asperger's Syndrome and she said she was going to look into what we can do about that too because I want to seek a diagnosis.

So, can anyone help calm me down a bit with some information about the things here that I don't understand? The quotes are from the website for the mental health team.

Quote:
We offer a detailed assessment where we work with young people to find out exactly what their emotional/psychological difficulties and needs are. We then think together with young people to make a plan of intervention. This can include one, some or all of the list below:
• Cognitive and behavioural interventions
• Psychotherapy (psychodynamic, narrative, interpersonal or supportive)
• Family work and consultation

That is all very well. Apart from the 'family work and consultation'. I can't have my family knowing about any of this but I'm sure they will respect that wish if I'm not in any immediate danger.

Quote:
• Psychosocial interventions, e.g.
o Problem solving
o Coping strategy enhancement
o Psycho-education

What is a 'psychosocial intervention'? What is 'psycho-education'?!

Quote:
• Neuropsychological assessment
• Neuro-psychiatric/developmental assessment

...what? Would this include a chance to be assessed for AS?

Quote:
• Home based interventions, outreach and social support for highly anxious and vulnerable young people
• Care planning, co-ordination and review (including enhanced CPA/ECC)

This might sound stupid, but what is 'care planning', and does anybody know what 'CPA/ECC' is?

Quote:
• Psychiatric and psychological treatment of mental health disorders (e.g. depression)
• Assessment, prescribing and monitoring for pharmacological treatment
• School/education liaison/advice
• Professional and parent consultation

I understand this part, at least. Although again, I really can't have my parents notified about any of this.

Quote:
• Mental Health Act assessment
• Risk assessment and management

What is a 'Mental Health Act assessment' and how is it different from a 'normal' assessment? :S

Quote:
• Supported transition to other services when required

What are examples of other services...does this mean other mental health services?

Thanks for your time; I know it might seem silly picking everything apart this way but I can't help it. It's getting me really stressed out how I don't understand half of it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 9:15 am

Quote:
We offer a detailed assessment where we work with young people to find out exactly what their emotional/psychological difficulties and needs are. We then think together with young people to make a plan of intervention. This can include one, some or all of the list below:
• Cognitive and behavioural interventions
• Psychotherapy (psychodynamic, narrative, interpersonal or supportive)
• Family work and consultation

Intervention means disruption, psychotherapy means trying to change your mind, and family work and consultation means possibly doing the same with others while trying to get them to help.

Like you, I would be skeptical, but I would still go to at least a few sessions to see how those people actually act ... and I would continue for just as long as they allowed me to just be myself while truly trying to help me sort things out and understand.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 11:47 am

First things first... don't worry. I was referred to a mental health team earlier this year, and they've been nothing but helpful.

They won't talk to your family without your permission... unless you were in immediate danger (suicidal, or psychotic and needing to be hospitalised, for example.) But short of that kind of emergency you don't have to worry about them contacting your family.

'Psychosocial intervention' and 'psycho-education' are just tech speak. The psychosocial intervention is to help you integrate into society more easily, and reduce stress. The psycho education is teaching you about how to understand your condition and manage it more easily.

Quote:
• Neuropsychological assessment
• Neuro-psychiatric/developmental assessment

...what? Would this include a chance to be assessed for AS? [/quote]Yes, they will be looking to see what condition, or conditions, you are suffering from. This could be AS or any other condition affecting you.

Quote:
This might sound stupid, but what is 'care planning', and does anybody know what 'CPA/ECC' is?
This happened to me. A care plan is when a mental health professional sits with you, talks to you about how you feel, think and function, and ascertains what your stressors and triggers are, and how to reduce stress, and avoid problems. In my case, for example, I was able to pinpoint symptoms that show I'm becoming anxious, and at risk of becoming ill. For example, if I stop leaving the house, cooking and cleaning, order in takeaway so I don't have to shop, that's a definite sign that I'm on a decline. Also, in my case, if I exhibiting psychotic behaviour, thinking the phone is bugged, or that I'm picking up on other people's thoughts. If I spot these early enough the care plan has protocols to stop me getting ill. As I get very stressed about money, I have a budget plan, for example, and someone who helps me when it gets overwhelming. The care plan is individually tailored, and can help with things like budgeting, help shopping, keeping house, etc. They also work out ways to help you set and achieve goals... we're about to start working on getting me back to work, for example, or back into education.

A mental health act assessment is basically them assessing whether you are in any danger of suicide, substance abuse, or violent illegal behaviour that might get you into trouble with the law.

Quote:
What are examples of other services...does this mean other mental health services?
It could do, but it most likely means that, as your situation stabilises, and you've got protocols in place to help you cope, they will be able to help you with things like housing, job seeking (only if you're ready for it) and... if you do have asperger's syndrome, support groups. My mental health team put me in touch with a housing association that have helped me stay in my current address, and increased my income by helping me access benefits.

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2010, 11:59 am

Thank you for your help! I was just freaking out at all the long words that I didn't understand, hah. My counsellor e-mailed me this morning to say that she would start working on my referral. I have no idea how long that will take but I know that it takes about 6-8 weeks after that until I get to be assessed by a professional. Would different assessments be carried out by different professionals? For example, I know there is both a clinical psychologist and a psychiatrist on the team; is it likely that I would be assessed separately by both of these people? Also, this will probably sound really stupid too, but what would a mental health nurse's role in this team be? Thanks so much for your replies :)

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 9:24 pm

Mental health nurse would probably be your first person to contact over any issues that are concerning you. The different professionals will probably assess you for your different issues. For example, the psychiatrist would look at things from an emotional point of view, while the psychologist would look at whether your issues had an underlying biological cause.

maddycakes__
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2010, 8:45 am

Thank you for your help :)