Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Sep 2006, 5:09 pm

Hi,

Can anyone explain why something I sugguested was termed unacceptable by the women in my project team and a really good idea by the men?

I am doing human factors testing at a convention and interview space is very tight - not enough space for all the interviews. So I sugguested that we use the bedroom area in the hospitality suites my company is renting for extra room (they have a desk and chairs in an office like corner the would work well).

The three women on my team said the idea was shocking. The four guys thought it was reasonable so long as we made sure the room looked neat.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2006, 5:48 pm

I think it's a very good idea provided an air of formality is maintained.

Bedrooms are often associated with intimacy. From a business point of view, the informal atmosphere created in such an environment could be seen as a psychological 'weakness' to be exploited. I don't believe anyone would be stupid enough to read anything overtly sexual into it, although care would have to be taken not to use suggestive phrases ("come back to my room") when talking to members of the opposite sex. Perhaps this risk of misinterpretation is what bothers your colleagues?

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 11:51 pm

knock knock ...

can I come in....?

I once was part of a market research focus group which was conducted in a 5star hotel room, so others have done it. The room was set up with a whyte board, and chairs around a small table for discussions etc, and looked professional. I think its ok.

(quietly exit women's discussion).

ryansjoy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2006, 4:04 pm

ok is a female doing the interview or is it a male? turthfully I think I might be a little uncomfortable if i went for a job interview in a hotel room by a man.. it would make me feel more than a little uncomfortable...

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2006, 6:13 am

Could you ask hotel maintenace to remove the bed, anyway it should be fine put lots of stuff on the bed so its not on the interviewees mind!

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 8:47 am

The women were probably jealous that you came up with the idea before they did. I have heard of job interviews being conducted in a hotel room so it should be okay if both people sat on chairs.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

cheesecheese
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Dec 2006, 10:00 am

The presence of a bed makes it an un-professional setting.
Remove the bed (or flip it up against a wall and put a white board in front of it) and it is then just a room (with very handy bathroom!)