Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

hilarythebaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2004, 11:57 am

Does anyone else here know so many words that they often forget the definitions of the words and don't know how to explain them to people? That often happens to me, and I've been told it's very common for people with Aspergers.

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2004, 1:06 pm

It happens to me a lot. I have a good memory and remember words after hearing them but sometimes I did not understand the meaning and I look for it in the dictionnary later. But in the meantime, I sometimes use it in the same context.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2004, 1:23 pm

I have lots of big words in my vocabulary, but I almost never get to use them becasue I don't know the meaning of those words.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2004, 3:19 pm

Yes, I do the same thing. I know a lot of words that I can't explain, but can use them in context. Also, if someone mispronounces a word, I usually know the correct pronounciation and even how it's spelled, but don't always even know what the word means.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2004, 6:10 pm

I use a lot of big words as well. I started when I was Thirteen. I didn't want and still don't want people to make false judgements about my Intelligence Level, so I use big words whenever I can.

flamingjune
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Aug 2004, 6:11 pm

I have a large vocabulary and I know what the words mean but if asked I have a difficult time explaining in a way that people understand easily.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2004, 1:55 am

I have two vocabularies (rather large, I would like to think) and a collection of Latin phrases. (I also know 3 other languages, but I don't use them currently.) However, I tend to forget words, or remember them incorrectly, or mix up similar words. Because of that I have a habit of checking less used words in a dictionary. This of course can only be done while writing. It helps me that when I forget a word in one language, I usually remember it in the other. But when I am tired, I get so forgetful that I am sometimes unable to speak coherently.

I did not notice forgetting the meaning of a word. However, sometimes I remember the meaning incorrectly. This is compounded by the fact there are many words that sound similar in both languages, but mean slightly (or completely) different things.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2004, 3:14 pm

I have an Uncle who knew likew 70% of the words in the English dictionary. No joke, you could pull just about anything out of there and 3/4 of the time he'd nail the definition straight on.

I like to make up words, sometimes. I don't generally tend to forget words but sometimes I do use a word over and over and over... like "redundant" ;)

todayiamhuman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2004, 3:56 pm

hahahaha i love you guys and i love this forum!
i have had this problem all of my life. i just showed my mum this thread and she had a massive smile on her face, because she knows exactly about this problem i have.
but the wierd thing is, i stutter and mumble tons, so my vocab never gets shown at all. i do have a great collection of words i just never use them, at 13 or 14 my old school had done these tests and it came out had a spelling of a 17yr old, but reading of 15.
(my reading wasnt being tested, but my reading out was)
sometimes the internet forums and chatrooms are my only outlet.[/b]

ilster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2004, 2:58 am

I have a big vocabulary in my head - I just don't know how to pronounce a lot of the words. If I read the word in a book, I have no problem, but generally go into shock when the word is actually spoken - 'Is that how you say it?!'

todayiamhuman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2004, 3:06 am

i have the same problem ilster.

TenebraruM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2004, 7:55 pm

ilster wrote:
I have a big vocabulary in my head - I just don't know how to pronounce a lot of the words. If I read the word in a book, I have no problem, but generally go into shock when the word is actually spoken - 'Is that how you say it?!'

Heh, well, I think logically, hence I pronounce logically.

It's all Hyperlexia. It seems to be one of the defining attributes to Aspergers.