Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 9:03 pm

The noise has started back up next door, after I sent my letter discussing the noise.

I expected it, anyway. Most people are dull and lose persistence when they have to do anything uncomfortable.

I didn't expect them to not play any music the week after I put my letter on their door.

But they did, spoiling me.

Two days ago there was a gathering at the place next door. Not about my letter alone. But words were exchanged, I'm sure. My letter was probably a topic of a conversation.

No surprise that the music started up after the gathering. Friends bring you down.

Now, music is starting up again. If music continues past 10am, it is in direct violation of policy, and therefore I will take legal action.

The sound is equivalent to several people beating on the wall. It's equivelant to a machine beating on the wall. It is a machine. A giant subwoofer against my wall.

Damn this noise!

alex
Developer
Developer

13 Feb 2007, 9:09 pm

can't you call the police ??

alex
Developer
Developer

13 Feb 2007, 9:15 pm

xon wrote:

Now, music is starting up again. If music continues past 10am, it is in direct violation of policy, and therefore I will take legal action.

what policy is this? Sounds kind of like it would a better policy to prohibit music past 10PM. Most people sleep at night, not during the day.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 9:18 pm

If the music continues past 10am, and the folks at the front desk don't handle the problem, I will get legal advice. If legal advice tells me to, I'll call the police.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 9:20 pm

I was fired up in my rant, so I accidentally put "am" instead of "pm".

I don't like the noise in the daytime, either. But that is not when I sleep. I can study in the library. Sleeping is a legal right. Or should be.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 9:37 pm

I sleep during the day time and although this may be considered a "choice",our current society needs over night workers and should be resepectful of their neighbors.If you want to blare the music,put on head phones.If you want to blare it all the time....buy a house.If I live next door and know what you are listening to then it is to loud.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 11:03 pm

It just turned 10 PM.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 11:05 pm

And the music has started up. Right at the time the dorm policy says that there be strictly no noise.

I knocked on the person's door. Nobody answered. Figures. Too loud. Can't hear me. So I'm filing a noise complaint with the front desk now.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2007, 12:07 pm

That's good you filed a noise complaint. Let us know how that goods.

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Feb 2007, 12:12 pm

are you in college?

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2007, 11:35 pm

alex, I am in college.

lkonantz, it's funny, but just after I wrote, "I'm filing a noise complaint," the noise stopped, and, thankfully, didn't return for the rest of the night. :D Since I was so sleepy that night, and the noise did stop, I decided to not file a noise complaint. (I have filed a noise complaint before. Last semester. Several, in fact. Those noise complaints were not particularly successful in achieving a reduction in the noise. But that is another story, the results of which I have discussed before on these forums.)

UPDATE: Though there was the exception that caused me to angrily post this rant thread, the noise from the dorm next door, has, in general, noticeably reduced since I posted my letter to the door. In fact, I now believe, based on my past experiences with filing noise complaints, it may have been a more effective thing to do than actually filing a noise complaint. But in the case that the noise does start up again, as it did to cause me to start this thread, I am still prepared to file a noise complaint. A noise complaint may be effective. Even if not, at least I would have covered my bases if I ever have to make a legal argument about the noise because I would have both a.) contacted the noise offender personally and b.) filed a noise complaint (though to no avail.)

Now here is a new noise problem, one which has not been a problem before: since my original post in this thread, people (from a different dorm) have started hanging out in the hall just outside my door and making noise late into the night. I just can't understand why the hall is a better place to congregate and talk very loudly than in a dorm or in the so-called study room that is usually available.

paranoid_android
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2007, 12:07 am

xon wrote:
Now here is a new noise problem, one which has not been a problem before: since my original post in this thread, people (from a different dorm) have started hanging out in the hall just outside my door and making noise late into the night. I just can't understand why the hall is a better place to congregate and talk very loudly than in a dorm or in the so-called study room that is usually available.

I have that problem too though it's mostly just people on my floor. They're perfectly quiet in the evening when I could care less how loud they are but once it's midnight they all seem to have something exciting that they need to tell everyone else. That or they're playing video games with their door wide open when it would be perfectly quiet if they closed it. The worst time was when some people were discussing whether or not some girl should go sleep with someone right outside my door at 3 in the morning. That's the only time I've actually done anything about the noise; I kicked on my door a few times and they moved a few metres down the hall where I could still hear them. *rant over*