Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2004, 11:40 am

The most important lesson that I've learned is to let people come to me instead of me going to them. I've learned that lesson ten years ago when I tried to bring a timmid man out of his shell.

ilster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2004, 5:15 pm

You learnt that one quickly! I've been making a mess out of trying to know people and completely misunderstanding the whole situation for years! I'm a bit like a gold fish - I just keep going around in my bowl, coming across the same situation and thinking - 'ooh! that person needs my help!' each time. Still, I've met some interesting people, that have made me see all sorts of different points of view! You're absolutely right about waiting for them to come to you - but I'm such an impatient know-it-all!

monastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2004, 2:17 pm

Even with all of my many collections, the one lesson I have learned is that "The Best Things in Life aren't Things" - I have to remind myself of this every now and then.

This is something I learned when I was just a child. When I am really stressed out, I run this song through my mind just to remind myself not to take everything so seriously.

"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily.....life is but a dream."

Another lesson I've learned is that NT's have very short attention spans. They don't want to know facts or hear an answer that is longer than a sentence. I try to "cut to the chase" because I know I'll get :roll: "the eye roll" if I go into too much detail.
- Patti -

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2004, 6:56 pm

My number one mantra: "There's always time for what's important" (tells ya a lot about people)
and as a corollary:
"People are always more important than things" (subtitled: kids come first, housework can wait). :wink:

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2004, 11:44 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
The most important lesson that I've learned is to let people come to me instead of me going to them. I've learned that lesson ten years ago when I tried to bring a timmid man out of his shell.

You know what? That is important. I do that, and I do the inverse too. Because if no one reaches out, who's going to be helped? I learned much through the approach of daring females and had some awkwardly (at the time) giddy times in the process. It got me to be more social and have a greater understanding of human behavior. And let's face it, I just felt good that someone cared! :)