Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 7:12 am

skafather84 wrote:
Flagg wrote:
What do you think of Egotheism?

Egotheism is deification of self. Basically "I am my own God."

Egotheism is a form of Atheism since it denies the existence of outside deities. They are not to be confused with Autotheists, who bear similarities to Egotheists but are something else entirely.

I myself am an Egotheist. I believe myself to be my own God because I can learn and adapt myself to the situation - hence, I am my own God.

This is not narsicism. A narcissist would believe themselves to be God to all men. I acknowledge I may help others but in the end they are their own Gods.

Thoughts?

you just describe the church of satan.

I consider myself to be an altruistic hedonist. I enjoy pleasure, but rarely at anyone's expense, and certainly want to help others.

On sabbatical...

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 7:41 pm

Quatermass wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Egotheism is a form of Atheism since it denies the existence of outside deities. They are not to be confused with Autotheists, who bear similarities to Egotheists but are something else entirely.

I myself am an Egotheist. I believe myself to be my own God because I can learn and adapt myself to the situation - hence, I am my own God.

This is not narsicism. A narcissist would believe themselves to be God to all men. I acknowledge I may help others but in the end they are their own Gods.

Thoughts?

I consider myself to be an altruistic hedonist. I enjoy pleasure, but rarely at anyone's expense, and certainly want to help others.

Interesting, though I would have though pleasure by definition was enjoyed (it would not be pleasurable otherwise). I thought a hedonist was more someone for whom pleasure was the highest good (of course this could be your position and you could still be an altruist if you desired to help others - there could be pleasure there anyway, though of course suffering would sometimes be involved)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 7:50 pm

Quatermass wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Flagg wrote:

Thoughts?

i consider myself an agnostic altruistic atheist. agnostic because most likely the catholic upbringing i had has brainwashed me from ever being able to fully accept a concept of no god despite my constant moving to this point. altruistic because i don't need a god to tell me to do the right thing and care about what's best for society.

Skyknight
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2007, 9:55 pm

The Amon in question might actually be the Canaanite baal Ammon, rather than the Egyptian neter.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 3:18 am

Skyknight wrote:
The Amon in question might actually be the Canaanite baal Ammon, rather than the Egyptian neter.

Thank you for this suggestion.