Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

toffee
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2005, 6:48 am

I get on quite well with my family because my mother is very kind to me and my brother is very friendly.
I feel very comfortable with my family whether I am with my mother or my brother or my father.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 10:01 am

I get along with my family also. I get along with my parents and my sister.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 10:04 am

I get along with my family very well too...

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 12:14 pm

I love my family dearly, although sometimes they can be a little unsensitive or non-understanding. Three teenage sisters are hard to live with... there is always a lot of shouting and stuff going on...

Therblig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2005, 2:57 pm

I get on very well with my mother and my brother and I are best friends. All of my extended family is on good terms with me. The ony two I don't have good relations with are my dad and his dad (my grandfather). Then again, no one in the entire family gets along with those two.

ManureMental
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2005, 3:12 pm

I get on with my family quite well their, is often a little conflict due to the mood swings the males in the family (dad and son) are AS and often friction can occur during times of persuing our obbsessional interests and again during sensory overload, although sometimes they can be a little insensitive or non-understanding. teenage daughters -sisters are hard to live with... there is always a lot of shouting and stuff going on but that can be said for most NT households...and yes they can appear insensitve and none understanding, however i have found through past experience, and even now because we are AS we assume that what we are talking about is understood by the NT family member just because we have thought it, we assume that they know exactly what we mean apparently this is not the case, i have got worked up and upset very often and actually still do but not as often but when it happens now, it is actually pointed out to me which i then accept and attempt to move on but sometimes arguing or not backing down(aspie thing). i think the females of my household put up with quite a lot considering i understand that having AS can be quite tiresome for other family members who do not have the condition.

Aspies rock................

ashkelon
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2005, 3:24 pm

Ah, I am so jealous of you with close families. My NT mother and very bright NT brother managed to isolate me very well from the rest of my family. I have very little contact with any of them now. My Aspie father was very invested in "normalcy" also, so I hid from them as much as possible. They brought more pressure on me to "behave myself" than outsiders, and told me that I "earned" the bullying I got at school.

I still feel responsible to look after them, but I don't much like them.

Too bad, but whatever...

Now my husband, in-laws, grown kids and their families are another wonderful story! They value me just the way I am. And they are pure delights. So the original family I got just proved I could build a better one of my own later. I just wish I'd known at the time it would work out that way.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 4:02 pm

I have excellent relationships with my mother and father, who are both very NT and happen to be quite forgiving of my eccentricies. Relations are quite strained with my extremly NT brother who thinks and tells me sometimes that I am a superfreak and tries to change me, but there are times when we both get over it and have some fun together. My sister is probably ghost AS and although we like each other, a relationship is largely nonexsistent.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 4:28 pm

I usually get along with my family pretty well, except for the very rare squabble or minor conflict. However, I'm not the sort of person who likes both parents equally. I actually like my mum better, namely because she's a much better role model than dad, who has a habit of unintentionally offending me at times. I also have a younger brother whom I try to ignore, because when I don't he really irritates me.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 4:33 pm

I get along with my family pretty well. My mum and I are good friends, but there is some tension between my dad and I.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 8:58 pm

My mother has unpredictable mood swings and a superiority complex, and my father is a racist hippie. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

My older brother and I find ways to coexist with them, even if they occasionally flip out over nothing. And they're by no means uncaring, so that makes things easier. As for my brother, we have an unbreakable friendship. He's a lot like who I would be if I didn't have AS. And even though he is four years older, he's always treated me like an equal, which is the best thing I could ask for in a brother.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2005, 9:18 pm

My parents are both ADD in their own special way, and they're also divorced. My dad...does anyone here really want to hear me rant about family, it might go on for a long time?

On to the question. I don't get along with my mother very often, she's not very understanding of my personality and gets pissed off at my argumentive (yet better) logic. My brother is a greedy liar who I can get along with as long as my mom's not around and he's taken his ADHD medication. Without medication... :cry: :evil: 8O