Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

I deal with disturbing lyrics in music I like by...
listen to it anyway 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
listen and psychologically tune out these lyrics 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
fast forward past the disturbing lyrics 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
listen to part of the song, then turn it off 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
edit the songs myself 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
buy/download the non-explicit version 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
not listen to the songs at all 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
I don't like songs if they have disturbing lyrics 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
I can't understand/process most lyrics anyways 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
other 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 9:03 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
My sensibilities aren't challenged easily. When something offends me, it only fascinates me.

I don't understand why you are saying that it only fascinates you immediately after saying that it also offends you. Seems contradictory.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

starkid wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
My sensibilities aren't challenged easily. When something offends me, it only fascinates me.

I don't understand why you are saying that it only fascinates you immediately after saying that it also offends you. Seems contradictory.

Because I don't object to it. I don't shun or ignore it because it contradicts my personal beliefs like most people in this thread seem content to do. But hey, thanks for arguing petty grammar while ignoring the actual points of my posts. Really strengthens your side of the issue.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 9:15 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
starkid wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:

Because I don't object to it. I don't shun or ignore it because it contradicts my personal beliefs like most people in this thread seem content to do.

I see most people in this thread agreeing with you, so I don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
But hey, thanks for arguing petty grammar while ignoring the actual points of my posts.

I didn't argue anything. To "argue" is to present a position on an issue, which I did not do. I stated that I didn't understand in hopes that you would clarify. Grammar isn't a petty issue when it causes people to not understand your posts.
Quote:
Really strengthens your side of the issue.

What "side"? We aren't having a debate.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 9:25 pm

starkid wrote:
I see most people in this thread agreeing with you, so I don't know what you are talking about.

"I voted that I stop listening to it entirely"? That's not in agreement with me. You're not in agreement with me. Your tone throughout this entire thread has been condescending, contentious and argumentative - maybe it's not intentional, but I can't help but interpret and respond to such in that way.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 9:35 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
"I voted that I stop listening to it entirely"? That's not in agreement with me.

No one is able to see how individual people voted in polls, so I wouldn't have known that.

I was talking about your comments being agreed with.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 9:43 pm

starkid wrote:
No one is able to see how individual people voted in polls, so I wouldn't have known that.

What are you talking about? That's a direct quote from a post in the thread: viewtopic.php?t=271784#p6381597

starkid wrote:
I was talking about your comments being agreed with.

What are you talking about? Who's agreeing with me? Only you, mr_bigmouth_502 and Janissy have directly responded to things I've said in this thread; you and Janissy are in disagreement with me and mr_bigmouth and I talked about a completely different topic.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 9:54 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
What are you talking about? That's a direct quote from a post in the thread: viewtopic.php?t=271784#p6381597

I misread and thought that you meant that you voted that way in the poll. However, that's only one person; four people have voted "listen to it anyway." On the other hand, whether or not somebody personally listens to such lyrics doesn't necessarily reflect whether or not they agree with you about the importance of confronting societal taboos in music. So it seems that only Xanthic~Rain explicitly agrees with you on that score.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 12:42 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
For the life of me, after several minutes of thorough Googling, I can't only not locate the Siouxsie song you're talking about but I can't even find any information on the supposed method of torture you're referencing. Siouxsie often talks at length about the meanings behind her usually cryptic lyrics, so it would be foolish to immediately dismiss anything she writes as merely "pushing boundaries". I can't speak conclusively on the matter, unfortunately.

I went back to my itunes library to look at the boxed set which is called Downside Up. It is short by that one song so I compared track listings with the itunes store and the song I deleted is The Execution (makes sense). Youtube has some videos for it which I won't link because.....sensibilities. But now you know the name so you can find it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 12:55 pm

Adding on to what I mentioned earlier on about rap, I do actually have a liking for some instrumental hip hop beats, though this is probably rooted more in my liking of industrial music.

Celtic Frost, of all bands actually did a song like this once, on the highly experimental "Into the Pandemonium" album:

Also, Nine Inch Nails did an awesome "industrial rap" on "Pretty Hate Machine":
(note, this video is kinda disturbing; at one point, the FBI even mistook it for a snuff film!)

On that note, Nine Inch Nails has quite a few songs with disturbing lyrics, some of the biggest ones that come to mind are "Big Man With a Gun", "Ruiner", and "Eraser", all off "The Downward Spiral". I LOVE that album, but it was a pretty unsettling listen for me when I was younger. Same with Slayer's album "Reign In Blood", another all time favorite of mine. The lead track "Angel of Death" in particular has been mistaken for a pro-Nazi song, when really it's actually condemning the actions of Josef Mengele.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 5:37 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Same with Slayer's album "Reign In Blood", another all time favorite of mine. The lead track "Angel of Death" in particular has been mistaken for a pro-Nazi song, when really it's actually condemning the actions of Josef Mengele.

That is a great album, but I don't understand how anyone can interpret that track as either for or against Nazism, as the lyrics don't portray a judgment one way or the other.