Do you socialize better 1 on 1 or in groups of people

Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CreamOfConnor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Nov 2014, 10:57 pm

One on one is easiest for me. Being in big groups is crazy stressful and hard for me.

-Edmund Spenser

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 12:19 am

I prefer groups.

A typical one-on-one conversation for me involves the other person saying things, me responding with silence or single word answers, followed by the other person awkwardly walking away thirty seconds later. In groups I can sit by as the other people handle all of the hard work and occasionally interject if I actually have something to say.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:03 pm

Definitely do better 1 on 1, or in groups of 4 or less.
I find myself shrinking into the background and unable to know who to talk to, or how to actually include myself in conversations when I am in a larger group, and that has been quite an issue now I am trying to get myself involved in a fairly large circle of people. I find myself overwhelmed by the different conversations going on, and my eyes darting everywhere, at a loss for what to do.

Crazypandalady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2014, 6:20 pm

I prefer one to one. Even in a big group (like a conference) although I can do groups I prefer one to one. Although I can do small groups of three to four at a conference. I love listening to the guest speaker speak and I've learned to take part in group discussions. In group discussions it's hard not to monopolise the talking.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 12:28 am

I tend to get left behind in group settings, but I can shine one-on-one. When there's a lot of people I tend to let the natural talkers take over because I don't really know where to go with everyone.

MetalFist
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2014, 9:31 pm

I socialize One on One way better than in groups of people because i tend to get left behind easily, but one on one conversations i don't feel like i'm left behind and less distractions.

BlueAbyss
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2014, 9:37 pm

MightyMorphin wrote:
When there are 2 other people, 3 including me. There's no awkward silence then. Happens to me a lot ><

I can relate to this.

If I'm with one of the two people I'm really close to, then 1 on 1 works. But with others, I prefer 3 or 4. No large group, but enough people to keep the conversation going when I'm being quiet. Otherwise there may be many awkward silences.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

06 Dec 2014, 9:51 pm

In a large group, I might as well be shining a flashlight on the person I am paying attention too. If I can relate, things can go pritty smoothly.

Those T.V. shows that bounce around from person to person seven ways from sideways, and change up, and move around the plot all in 17 minutes with 13 minutes of commercials. No idea what the heck is going on. :evil:

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2014, 11:02 am

1 on 1 works best for me as I find that I get interrupted if I try to contribute to a conversation in a large group. A small group of 3 or 4 could also work, it depends on the type of people in the group.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

Yes, but most people don't like to be socialized 1 on 1 from what i've witnessed, comes across as needy.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 5:37 pm

I socialize best in small groups (3-4 people total). I do pretty well one-on-one, but I often have trouble keeping the conversation flowing. Strangely, I find that I have this issue more with people I know well than with complete strangers. With strangers, there is so much you don't know about each other that there are tons of topics to discuss. With people you see daily, you've already covered all of those topics, so it can be harder to think of new material.

In smaller groups that isn't as much of an issue since the burden is shared amongst more people, so it makes it easier. The group is also still small enough that you can contribute significantly to the conversation without much effort.

In larger groups, I find that it's just too hard to get a word in. One person will talk, then another will start as soon as they finish. Unless I basically interrupt someone, I find it tough to butt in.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm

1-1, or sometimes a group of 3 to fill in the awkward silences. :P

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2014, 12:01 am

Small groups. (3-5)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2014, 9:27 pm

Individually. If just one person is there than 50% of hope is lost. More people is ungodly for me.

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 4:34 pm

More then one person- being around one person means 100% attention towards me which is much more daunting in my opinion.

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28

infilove
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 4:38 pm

I don't know how the majority of you find one on one to be easier. In fact I find it to not make sense. Being around one person means that one person is paying attention to you- every move- every word- every quirk- every social mistake. I find that to be very hard. When it's severial people, that means the spot light isn't always on you, and you can let your guard down. In addition, it gives you breaks when socializing, and other people can fill in times during conversations where you can have awkward pauses, ect. I often wonder if many people who say they prefer one on one, actually had situations where they were one on one. In my opinion, I find it not easy at all!

aspie quiz results; http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly12c.php?p1= ... =80&p12=28