Page 5 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

SquanderedPotential
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2005, 6:19 am

*raises hand* i skim too. and it's not because i have ADD, it's because i don't need to listen to that negative crap over and over again.

in my mind

"If you fit the mold of a chipmunk, you probably aren't a kangaroo." - DeepThought

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 6:51 am

chamoisee wrote:
<sigh> Well, I'm sorry, but....why should I read something that is going to make me all wound up and upset/angry when the person who wrote it is obviously closeminded to any other viewpoints other than his own? To try and refute him is a total waste of time and angst.

It was a compliment!

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 11:20 am

Oh, LOL. Then, thanks! :wink: I guess what I meant is, I don't *want* to be cruel or harsh...but neither do I want to read it.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 12:33 pm

tom wrote:
chamoisee wrote:
<sigh> Well, I'm sorry, but....why should I read something that is going to make me all wound up and upset/angry when the person who wrote it is obviously closeminded to any other viewpoints other than his own? To try and refute him is a total waste of time and angst.

It was a compliment!

If you want to figure me out, listen to Tom. He's not quite on track, but he's closer than anybody else's theories on this thread so far.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 12:10 am

LMAO.....

Sean...you don't understand.

I used to be almost exactly like you in my viewpoints.....that is precisely why I find it so intolerable now. It took me a very long time to mature past that point and to realize that other people have valid points of view as well, even if I don't always agree with them, and to respect that.

Katze
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2005, 12:13 am

chamoisee wrote:

fascinating,.. It seems to me that by skipping somone else post does that not make you also closeminded to someone else viewpoint other than your own?.

think about it..........

Katze

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2005, 12:56 am

Sean wrote:
If you want to figure me out, listen to Tom. He's not quite on track, but he's closer than anybody else's theories on this thread so far.

You want people to hate you so much they ignore you? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

-Pyraxis (most definitely not as mod)

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2005, 4:04 am

lol at both Katze and pyraxis :)

yep - i don't ignore people, cos i want to listen to them, to hear WHY they're saying what they say, even if i find it offensive. i believe that's the way to learn, on both sides. i always try to go to where people are, rather than shouting at them from a soapbox (am thinking very hard about this, at the moment, for some reason... ;))

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2005, 11:02 am

pyraxis wrote:
You want people to hate you so much they ignore you? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

-Pyraxis (most definitely not as mod)

No, but I've learned not to lose sleep over it either.

Katze
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Aug 2005, 5:52 pm

chamoisee wrote:
Sean, you are very invested in your freedom to speak your own mind, however offensive it may be to those around you. (Don't be surprised if this doesn't go over well with the ladies.... :roll: )

I wonder what your reaction would be if there were a black, homosexual flamign liberal from some other country who was continually bashing and advocating death sentences for anyone white (or not black), straight, Republican or American? What if he were some other religion that hated Christians and just couldn't seem to shut up about how he felt that all Christians were going straight to hell? Would you be as invested in defending his freedom of speech as you are your own?

Personally that would not disturb me, I have no agenda on that, it's talk and its up to me whether I let it influence my thinking or not. . However I think that some of you are on a similar bandwagon, it's called 'Sean Bashing', same thing, different target. I think Sean's mind is refreshing, I may not agree with what he says but he stands up for his points of view and I Respect that.

Katze

'Pleasantly and well suited I walk,
Whither I walk I cannot define, but I know it is good,
The whole Universe indicates that it is good,
The past and present indicate that it is good.'

Walt Whitman 'To Think of Time'

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2005, 6:22 pm

ROFLMAO!! ! Oh, the sheer and profound irony of quoting Walt Whitman as a sig in a post to Sean's defense!! Too funny!!

No, I don't hate him. Neither is it that I'm closeminded...it's more that I've already been there, done that, gone past it, and it's boring and pedantic to me now. :shrug: I also have a dislike for outright condemnation of groups that differ in religion, race, sexual preference, political leanings, or ideology.

See, it's like this: I didn't vote for Bush. I hate the fact that he's our president. But do I go out and blast every Republican I encounter even though they might have other worthwhile things to say to me that are unrelated to their political standing? It'd be unproductive and a waste of energy. I'm agnostic, but I don't waste a lot of time trying to reason with and convert Christians to my way of thinking. I might engage in a discussion regarding the topic, but since neither side is likely to change their viewpoint, a lot of vitriol could only aggravate matters.