Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 2:23 pm

Clueless2017 wrote:
I will try to shed some light on this sensitive topic from a third-party's perspective...First of all, WE MUST BE CAREFUL WITH WORDS, because they have CONNOTATIONS or hidden meanings...Allow me to share with you all a fun example: In mainstream media, BEAUTIFUL really means tall and blond; CUTE really means pretty and short; GORGEOUS really means pretty and old, SEXY really means pretty and easy...and the list goes on and on...Because of these hidden and sometimes NEGATIVE connotations associated with a word, one must be very careful NOT to use TANTRUM and MELTDOWN interchangeably, especially when discussing AUTISM...It's like stating that CHILDISH and CHILDLIKE are synonymous...Far from the truth (Please look-up in dictionary)...Having said all of the above, please allow me to clarify the difference between a tantrum and a meltdown...A tantrum is typically associated with a toddler's immature behavior, understandably so as they have yet to learn to express their discontent in a proper, civil manner...A tantrum, however, is not exclusive to children...I once witnessed a teenager at a middle school who threw a fit at the discipline office, because she was referred there for a dress-code violation...Suffice to say, she got her way by calling her attorney-father who threatened to suit the school district...This, to me, is an example of a tantrum wherein the ILL-INTENT in the form of MANIPULATION is clear...And although i have NOT witnessed an adult's tantrum, i suspect that most cases of road-rage, especially those involving the use of a firearm, are adult-tantrums, definitely INTENTIONAL...Contrary to a MELTDOWN which is NOT DELIBERATE...How do i know this with certainty?...Sadly, i have witnessed my beloved (Aspie) husband's meltdowns...In a period of abrupt changes, frequent misunderstandings leading to conflict, and an uncertain future, my poor husband experienced a series of meltdowns to the breaking point...At one time, his body trembled uncontrollably...At other time, he was unable to open his eye lids...At other time, he space-out and forcefully collapsed to the ground, apparently losing concieousness, similar to a seizure...Above, i specified, "to the breaking-point", because he experienced an episode of psychosis, wherein he apparently lost touch with reality for what i estimate to have been 4 hours...I am beyond happy to report to you all here that it has been close to two years without any such incidents...Marriage has been very beneficial health-wise for him...If you have read this far, thank you...You are now better able to appreciate the clear difference between a tantrum and a meltdown...A MELTDOWN IS NOT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE CONTROLLED AND THEREFORE THERE IS NO ILL-INTENT, NO FORM OF MANIPULATION...And last but not least, any human being can experience a breakdown at a certain point in their life due to extreme emotional distress...I suppose--and i do not know for sure, because i did not go to medical school--breakdowns differ in that these last much longer...To the extent that the patient may end-up in a psychiatric clinic for months or years...I sincerely hope that i have contributed to this sensitive topic in a non-biased and meaningful way...Forever in love with my beloved husband who just happens to be the most handsome Aspie... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thanks for this.

I think it's potentially (ironically) something only an NT with experience around autistic people they love and understand deeply (like you), NTs who are very sensitive or hyperlexic aspies like me would care about.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 3:30 pm

Pieplup wrote:
KT67 wrote:
A sensory meltdown and a tantrum are different things.

What is the difference between 'circumstances overwhelming you' and having a tantrum?

Children tantrum when they can't get their own way.

Are you talking about mental illness or healthy, NT people? Because what I define as a 'breakdown' might be what you define as a 'meltdown'.

I think it is unhelpful to use such language when describing mentally healthy, NT people acting badly. It lessens the sympathy towards people who are genuinely in physical or mental distress.

See this is just factually incorrect. If you knew anything about tantrums you'd know that that's not the case. You are confused because there are two types of tantrums the ones that come from distress of being overwhelmed with emotions and the one that children use in attempt to manipulate their parents. There's a difference. It's not something that doesn't exist. You also seem to be under the misconception that only autistic people can have tantrums ro uhh meltdowns that are caused by said distress when that simply isn't the case. Anyone can of any age. I agree there is a problem with the dilution of words. Like triggered was originally supposed to mean something that triggers ptsd. Now it just means something that people might find upsetting that being said the word has changed and its' stupid to use it to describe that because people aren't gonna think you are talking about a ptsd trigger.
A person who is overwhelmed with emotions and having distress is having a meltdown not a tantrum.

Wreck It Ralph

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 3:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Clueless2017 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
NTs often use the term 'meltdowns' to mean crying or breaking down. I remember an NT colleague at a previous job sat and cried because she got too stressed at work, and the next day she was telling everyone that she had a meltdown yesterday.

Tantrums aren't the only expression of communication a toddler can do. Every time I enter a supermarket there is always at least one toddler crying loudly, and it's not always because they want a toy or candy that they can't have. Sometimes the cry means "I am bored or overwhelmed in this place, so I'm just going to misbehave for my parents, for no particular reason". Sometimes toddlers can get grizzly if they are in a low mood, and can just totally melt down without actually wanting anything.

... ... ...
NT, here, totally agrees with you...A baby crying could mean he or she is hungry, or that her stomach hurts...This is not to be confused with a tantrum which is manipulative in nature...And a meltdown in the case of an NT is nowhere close to the way an Autistic would experience it...We should definitely make this distinction...Thank you for your insight :heart: :heart: :heart:

Clueless2017, so glad you're still around! :) :) :heart:

Sometimes toddlers carry on crying even after they have got what they wanted. When I was a teenager and my (NT) cousin was 3 I was in the supermarket with him and my aunt, and he kept being naughty so his mum said "right, you're not having any candy!" He threw himself on the floor and cried. In the end his mum did buy him some candy, but it didn't stop his crying. It seemed that he got himself into that bad-tempered sort of mood even though he had got what he was crying for in the first place. His mum even said, "you've got your candy, so what do you want?" But he wouldn't say, he just kept whining and crying at nothing.
It's what we call "the terrible two's", which can typically occur around 1-4 years old. Some children grow out of it by age 4 but others don't until they reach 5 or 6. It's not so normal for a child over 7 to still be in the terrible two's phase, but children with developmental disorders such as autism, ADHD, learning difficulties or Fragile-X can still be in the terrible two's phase (I'm not talking about autism meltdowns, just general tantrumish behaviour). Or children that aren't brought up properly or are suffering a physical illness like cancer. But that's different.

... ... ...

Have a blessed Sunday you all...Greetings from California, where the sun spends the winter... :D :heart:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 3:52 pm

Clueless2017 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Clueless2017 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
NTs often use the term 'meltdowns' to mean crying or breaking down. I remember an NT colleague at a previous job sat and cried because she got too stressed at work, and the next day she was telling everyone that she had a meltdown yesterday.

Tantrums aren't the only expression of communication a toddler can do. Every time I enter a supermarket there is always at least one toddler crying loudly, and it's not always because they want a toy or candy that they can't have. Sometimes the cry means "I am bored or overwhelmed in this place, so I'm just going to misbehave for my parents, for no particular reason". Sometimes toddlers can get grizzly if they are in a low mood, and can just totally melt down without actually wanting anything.

... ... ...
NT, here, totally agrees with you...A baby crying could mean he or she is hungry, or that her stomach hurts...This is not to be confused with a tantrum which is manipulative in nature...And a meltdown in the case of an NT is nowhere close to the way an Autistic would experience it...We should definitely make this distinction...Thank you for your insight :heart: :heart: :heart:

Clueless2017, so glad you're still around! :) :) :heart:

Sometimes toddlers carry on crying even after they have got what they wanted. When I was a teenager and my (NT) cousin was 3 I was in the supermarket with him and my aunt, and he kept being naughty so his mum said "right, you're not having any candy!" He threw himself on the floor and cried. In the end his mum did buy him some candy, but it didn't stop his crying. It seemed that he got himself into that bad-tempered sort of mood even though he had got what he was crying for in the first place. His mum even said, "you've got your candy, so what do you want?" But he wouldn't say, he just kept whining and crying at nothing.
It's what we call "the terrible two's", which can typically occur around 1-4 years old. Some children grow out of it by age 4 but others don't until they reach 5 or 6. It's not so normal for a child over 7 to still be in the terrible two's phase, but children with developmental disorders such as autism, ADHD, learning difficulties or Fragile-X can still be in the terrible two's phase (I'm not talking about autism meltdowns, just general tantrumish behaviour). Or children that aren't brought up properly or are suffering a physical illness like cancer. But that's different.

... ... ...

Have a blessed Sunday you all...Greetings from California, where the sun spends the winter... :D :heart:
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 5:27 pm

KT67 wrote:
Clueless2017 wrote:
I will try to shed some light on this sensitive topic from a third-party's perspective...First of all, WE MUST BE CAREFUL WITH WORDS, because they have CONNOTATIONS or hidden meanings...Allow me to share with you all a fun example: In mainstream media, BEAUTIFUL really means tall and blond; CUTE really means pretty and short; GORGEOUS really means pretty and old, SEXY really means pretty and easy...and the list goes on and on...Because of these hidden and sometimes NEGATIVE connotations associated with a word, one must be very careful NOT to use TANTRUM and MELTDOWN interchangeably, especially when discussing AUTISM...It's like stating that CHILDISH and CHILDLIKE are synonymous...Far from the truth (Please look-up in dictionary)...Having said all of the above, please allow me to clarify the difference between a tantrum and a meltdown...A tantrum is typically associated with a toddler's immature behavior, understandably so as they have yet to learn to express their discontent in a proper, civil manner...A tantrum, however, is not exclusive to children...I once witnessed a teenager at a middle school who threw a fit at the discipline office, because she was referred there for a dress-code violation...Suffice to say, she got her way by calling her attorney-father who threatened to suit the school district...This, to me, is an example of a tantrum wherein the ILL-INTENT in the form of MANIPULATION is clear...And although i have NOT witnessed an adult's tantrum, i suspect that most cases of road-rage, especially those involving the use of a firearm, are adult-tantrums, definitely INTENTIONAL...Contrary to a MELTDOWN which is NOT DELIBERATE...How do i know this with certainty?...Sadly, i have witnessed my beloved (Aspie) husband's meltdowns...In a period of abrupt changes, frequent misunderstandings leading to conflict, and an uncertain future, my poor husband experienced a series of meltdowns to the breaking point...At one time, his body trembled uncontrollably...At other time, he was unable to open his eye lids...At other time, he space-out and forcefully collapsed to the ground, apparently losing concieousness, similar to a seizure...Above, i specified, "to the breaking-point", because he experienced an episode of psychosis, wherein he apparently lost touch with reality for what i estimate to have been 4 hours...I am beyond happy to report to you all here that it has been close to two years without any such incidents...Marriage has been very beneficial health-wise for him...If you have read this far, thank you...You are now better able to appreciate the clear difference between a tantrum and a meltdown...A MELTDOWN IS NOT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE CONTROLLED AND THEREFORE THERE IS NO ILL-INTENT, NO FORM OF MANIPULATION...And last but not least, any human being can experience a breakdown at a certain point in their life due to extreme emotional distress...I suppose--and i do not know for sure, because i did not go to medical school--breakdowns differ in that these last much longer...To the extent that the patient may end-up in a psychiatric clinic for months or years...I sincerely hope that i have contributed to this sensitive topic in a non-biased and meaningful way...Forever in love with my beloved husband who just happens to be the most handsome Aspie... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thanks for this.

I think it's potentially (ironically) something only an NT with experience around autistic people they love and understand deeply (like you), NTs who are very sensitive or hyperlexic aspies like me would care about.

Quite the contrary, THANK YOU!! !... :D :heart:

bmasters1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2020, 6:21 am

skibum wrote:
Yes, it really does matter. I was really angry beyond comprehension when I saw that Autism Speaks had replaced the word Meltdown and started using tantrum instead. Just another thing to add to the list of why I hate them. The damage that does to us is really massive.

So Autism Speaks is basically acting like any time you have a stress response to any kind of stress, it's the same as acting out and trying to get your way?! Outrageous!

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 11:11 am

bmasters1981 wrote:
skibum wrote:
Yes, it really does matter. I was really angry beyond comprehension when I saw that Autism Speaks had replaced the word Meltdown and started using tantrum instead. Just another thing to add to the list of why I hate them. The damage that does to us is really massive.

So Autism Speaks is basically acting like any time you have a stress response to any kind of stress, it's the same as acting out and trying to get your way?! Outrageous!

Truly OUTRAGEOUS!! !...And irresponsible... :cry:

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 6:29 pm

Yeah It is immensely painful and it is very hard to explain when you don't know what words to use whilst trying to be polite as possible to lessen the domino effect, my usual is going to self harm rather than a huge outburst verbally as i'm fearful of being arrested by police from my actions as others don't understand what one goes through during a complete meltdown though they can't be expected to know so self harm is a safer option. I am pretty good at knowing when one is coming if it's from doing too much or from a build up but sometimes I get caught off guard ( i refer to it as caught sleeping ) like few weeks back offloading at the psychologist and didn't for see the effect emotionally this would have on me, then got drunk and a meltdown came. knifed myself in the head and abused people :( which drinking is why i abused people. i would have still self harmed

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2020, 8:22 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
Yeah It is immensely painful and it is very hard to explain when you don't know what words to use whilst trying to be polite as possible to lessen the domino effect, my usual is going to self harm rather than a huge outburst verbally as i'm fearful of being arrested by police from my actions as others don't understand what one goes through during a complete meltdown though they can't be expected to know so self harm is a safer option. I am pretty good at knowing when one is coming if it's from doing too much or from a build up but sometimes I get caught off guard ( i refer to it as caught sleeping ) like few weeks back offloading at the psychologist and didn't for see the effect emotionally this would have on me, then got drunk and a meltdown came. knifed myself in the head and abused people :( which drinking is why i abused people. i would have still self harmed

... ... ...
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Do not abuse alcohol...In small doses is medicine; but in large quantity it is poison...Please learn to listen to your brain and your body... :heart: :heart: :heart:

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 1:01 pm

I don't think I ever had a meltdown before nor do I know what that means really ... My guess is anyone could probably have it no matter how old but it probably varies depending on how old someone is

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:20 pm

skibum wrote:

Another reason for me to hate Autism Speaks to pieces. I never liked that organization. Now, autism parents who worship Autism Speaks are going to start smacking their autistic children around and shouting at them. for having meltdowns.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:22 pm

bmasters1981 wrote:
skibum wrote:

It's pretty sickening, isn't it?

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:43 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
skibum wrote:

Another reason for me to hate Autism Speaks to pieces. I never liked that organization. Now, autism parents who worship Autism Speaks are going to start smacking their autistic children around and shouting at them. for having meltdowns.

... ... ...
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 5:01 pm

These definitions and redefinitions are really messed up ....... when you try to interchange meltdown in a aspie
Situation and then interchange the word tantrum , it is time to look this up in the dictionary.....
Then someone wants to dilute or change the PTSD definition in regards to triggers, This thread with these interchanges , Causes me to wonder if the people refining word usage have had personal experience of the effects.
That others are referring to ? Compare severe anxiety to a Complete nervous breakdown . Or a broken arm to a complete crushing of the human body and the degree of recover required for each . But I only speak from some degree of personal experience . Persons need to be entitled to their own interpretations of the English language
With perhaps some discussions on what the intended meaning , was meant to be . Just my own opinion . :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 1:46 am

Clueless2017 wrote:
I will try to shed some light on this sensitive topic from a third-party's perspective...First of all, WE MUST BE CAREFUL WITH WORDS, because they have CONNOTATIONS or hidden meanings...Allow me to share with you all a fun example: In mainstream media, BEAUTIFUL really means tall and blond; CUTE really means pretty and short; GORGEOUS really means pretty and old, SEXY really means pretty and easy...and the list goes on and on...Because of these hidden and sometimes NEGATIVE connotations associated with a word, one must be very careful NOT to use TANTRUM and MELTDOWN interchangeably, especially when discussing AUTISM...It's like stating that CHILDISH and CHILDLIKE are synonymous...Far from the truth (Please look-up in dictionary)...

Having said all of the above, please allow me to clarify the difference between a tantrum and a meltdown...A tantrum is typically associated with a toddler's immature behavior, understandably so as they have yet to learn to express their discontent in a proper, civil manner...A tantrum, however, is not exclusive to children...I once witnessed a teenager at a middle school who threw a fit at the discipline office, because she was referred there for a dress-code violation...Suffice to say, she got her way by calling her attorney-father who threatened to suit the school district...This, to me, is an example of a tantrum wherein the ILL-INTENT in the form of MANIPULATION is clear...And although i have NOT witnessed an adult's tantrum, i suspect that most cases of road-rage, especially those involving the use of a firearm, are adult-tantrums, definitely INTENTIONAL...Contrary to a MELTDOWN which is NOT DELIBERATE...How do i know this with certainty?...

Sadly, i have witnessed my beloved (Aspie) husband's meltdowns...In a period of abrupt changes, frequent misunderstandings leading to conflict, and an uncertain future, my poor husband experienced a series of meltdowns to the breaking point...At one time, his body trembled uncontrollably...At other time, he was unable to open his eye lids...At other time, he space-out and forcefully collapsed to the ground, apparently losing concieousness, similar to a seizure...Above, i specified, "to the breaking-point", because he experienced an episode of psychosis, wherein he apparently lost touch with reality for what i estimate to have been 4 hours...I am beyond happy to report to you all here that it has been close to two years without any such incidents...Marriage has been very beneficial health-wise for him...If you have read this far, thank you...

You are now better able to appreciate the clear difference between a tantrum and a meltdown...A MELTDOWN IS NOT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE CONTROLLED AND THEREFORE THERE IS NO ILL-INTENT, NO FORM OF MANIPULATION...And last but not least, any human being can experience a breakdown at a certain point in their life due to extreme emotional distress...I suppose--and i do not know for sure, because i did not go to medical school--breakdowns differ in that these last much longer...To the extent that the patient may end-up in a psychiatric clinic for months or years...I sincerely hope that i have contributed to this sensitive topic in a non-biased and meaningful way...Forever in love with my beloved husband who just happens to be the most handsome Aspie... :heart: :heart: :heart:

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 4:59 am

@Clueless:

Does your husband agree with your assumption and insistence that he is an "undiagnosed Aspie"? How does he feel about your doing so?