$147k/yr to move furniture and hang pictures etc

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 7:42 pm

True story.

I spent a couple days working on a film set last week and this one young woman who works in “Set Dec” (decoration/decorating) who’s job it is to dress a movie set with furniture, drapes, photos, props etc and whatever other random tasks and then tear it all down and put everything in the correct boxes to ship back to the specific prop houses they’re rented from, or move/sell/dispose of things etc lucked out and worked all union jobs for fairly big budget products often in Lead Set Dec roles throughout last year and with overtime pay earned $147k gross + gets fed catered meals and snacks so hardly ever pays for groceries.

Just saying.. there are jobs like this. Sure, starting pay is lucky to be 1/3rd that if you get enough jobs/hours in your first year, but so what? The potential is there.

A lot of artsy quirky possibly on the spectrum types in film, too. And people work such long hours it becomes their whole life and they don’t have significant social lives outside of their work breaks - pros and cons, could be the right fit for some on the spectrum who have the capacity to be workaholics.

Figured I’d pass this along here for anyone to consider. Lots of different roles in film and pretty well all of them pay better than their “civilian,” counterparts - especially due to the long hours if you work in any department that’s on location/on set vs prep work like I’m entering into. (Set Construction has the most normal/regular hours in the industry - 7am-5pm or 7am-7pm m-f for most jobs, sometimes weekend work too if there’s a project time crunch.)

My cousin described film as “It’s like carnies.. with money,” and she’s so right.