Rating my job: hotel housekeeper (rate yours too)

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2023, 2:15 pm

Note: this is all subjective and may also vary depending on the hotel. Also, I'm basing my ratings on comparisons with other jobs I've had, which are all "starter" jobs (retail, food service, warehousing) so this won't compare with, for example, an office job

Social:
4/5
I work alone and barely have to talk to anyone. Social skills beyond basic manners aren't a requirement, and you don't even need to be able to speak English. This would be a five out of five if it weren't for the fact that there is a daily morning meeting wherein I have to sit amongst a crowd of people, and we have to cram into a full elevator to get to our floors.

Sensory:
5/5
This is surprisingly where this job shines. I thought that I would encounter more gross stuff, but the worst I get is usually leftover food. I love being able to go into a quiet room with dim lighting, open the window and adjust the temperature as I please, and sing to myself or make whatever other weird sounds I want as I work. Handling the soft, clean linens is also a bonus.

Difficulty/general stress:
3/5
The tasks are very straightforward and repetitive, so this would have gotten a better rating if it weren't for the fact that there is a lot of pressure to work very quickly. Most days I can't keep up with the expected speed, and it makes me worry about being able to keep my job.

Enjoyment:
3/5
It's alright. I like being able to daydream while I work, and it's kind of satisfying seeing the difference in each room after I finish cleaning them. At the same time, I'm not using my skills to their fullest and I don't feel like I'm adding a lot to the world.

Feel free to rate your own job in the comments, using whatever metrics you like. I figure this might be useful for people on here trying to figure out what kinds of jobs to apply to

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 3:02 pm

Great thread. :)

Social:
I clean coaches, and during the day I'm the only one there who does the cleaning but there are other workers there like mechanics. I have a good employee relationship with them and so although I'm the only one cleaning I'm still not the only one there so I have people to talk to. Sometimes I get distracted and find myself abandoning my coach to talk to someone but I always get my work done in the end, and the coach goes out that evening nice and clean. I don't deal with the public, which I'm glad about, as the public can be scary.

Sensory:
The dirtier the coach, the more satisfaction I get cleaning it. It's actually quite therapeutic, even though it can actually be a challenge sometimes, but I like a challenge, as it's not as repetitive as what the night cleaners do (which I used to do), which is just sweeping the coaches. Way too repetitive, especially knowing that the trash is just going to be back on the coaches the next day. But with my type of job, I make the coach dirt-free and it stays clean in that way for a couple of weeks until I next see it.
Back to sensory stuff, the only sensory things I'm sometimes affected by is when the mechanics blast the horn when reversing a coach out of the garage. It echoes around the garage and startles me. But it's only a minor thing and I would rather have that than have kids screaming in supermarkets.

I get stressed when there isn't a coach available for me to clean, because of ADHD I need to be busy and I get restless just sitting about waiting for something to do. I can't really talk to people either during that time because they're all working so I don't like to distract them from their work.
Also I don't like it when more than one evening staff aren't in so I have to go and clean another building ran by the same company, which involves having to go into the public and having people giving me weird looks because I'm a girl more or less dressed like a guy with dirty arms and legs, even though you could see I'm at work by my florescent overalls. So I get anxiety over doing this task.

Enjoyment:
3/5
I must say I am lucky to have this job with these hours though, because I'm not really under any pressure and I have a nice, laid-back boss who lets me use my initiative, which I like. I tend to work harder when I'm happy and relaxed, as I don't like too many rules. We're allowed to play on our phones at work as long as we get the work done by the end of our shifts. Also I can take vacation days off whenever I like, as in without having to tie it around other people's vacation days.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 3:07 pm

when i was in the rat race, it was with the uncivil service, IOW working for uncle sam at a military hospital on a military base. they were penny-wise which meant i had to do several people's jobs. so it is hard to rate in this capacity other than in general terms. i was run ragged at work, the working conditions were dangerous [biohazard-infected sharps and aerosolization of sick people's diseased respiratory output/GI aspirations et al], floors slippery from body fluids, being made to do too many things at once too quickly, having to deal with foul-tempered military officers that had higher officers breathing down their necks, long irregular hours [several times i had to work 24 hours straight]. i'm damned glad i'm out from under all that.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2023, 4:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Great thread. :)

Social:
I clean coaches, and during the day I'm the only one there who does the cleaning but there are other workers there like mechanics. I have a good employee relationship with them and so although I'm the only one cleaning I'm still not the only one there so I have people to talk to. Sometimes I get distracted and find myself abandoning my coach to talk to someone but I always get my work done in the end, and the coach goes out that evening nice and clean. I don't deal with the public, which I'm glad about, as the public can be scary.

Sensory:
The dirtier the coach, the more satisfaction I get cleaning it. It's actually quite therapeutic, even though it can actually be a challenge sometimes, but I like a challenge, as it's not as repetitive as what the night cleaners do (which I used to do), which is just sweeping the coaches. Way too repetitive, especially knowing that the trash is just going to be back on the coaches the next day. But with my type of job, I make the coach dirt-free and it stays clean in that way for a couple of weeks until I next see it.
Back to sensory stuff, the only sensory things I'm sometimes affected by is when the mechanics blast the horn when reversing a coach out of the garage. It echoes around the garage and startles me. But it's only a minor thing and I would rather have that than have kids screaming in supermarkets.

I get stressed when there isn't a coach available for me to clean, because of ADHD I need to be busy and I get restless just sitting about waiting for something to do. I can't really talk to people either during that time because they're all working so I don't like to distract them from their work.
Also I don't like it when more than one evening staff aren't in so I have to go and clean another building ran by the same company, which involves having to go into the public and having people giving me weird looks because I'm a girl more or less dressed like a guy with dirty arms and legs, even though you could see I'm at work by my florescent overalls. So I get anxiety over doing this task.

Enjoyment:
3/5
I must say I am lucky to have this job with these hours though, because I'm not really under any pressure and I have a nice, laid-back boss who lets me use my initiative, which I like. I tend to work harder when I'm happy and relaxed, as I don't like too many rules. We're allowed to play on our phones at work as long as we get the work done by the end of our shifts. Also I can take vacation days off whenever I like, as in without having to tie it around other people's vacation days.

Are coaches like busses? I've never heard the word in this context before (Canadian, sorry)

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2023, 4:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
when i was in the rat race, it was with the uncivil service, IOW working for uncle sam at a military hospital on a military base. they were penny-wise which meant i had to do several people's jobs. so it is hard to rate in this capacity other than in general terms. i was run ragged at work, the working conditions were dangerous [biohazard-infected sharps and aerosolization of sick people's diseased respiratory output/GI aspirations et al], floors slippery from body fluids, being made to do too many things at once too quickly, having to deal with foul-tempered military officers that had higher officers breathing down their necks, long irregular hours [several times i had to work 24 hours straight]. i'm damned glad i'm out from under all that.

That sounds like one of the worst jobs in the world

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 4:26 pm

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That sounds like one of the worst jobs in the world

but it was better than sackin' out under a bridge or living in the back of my ford pinto [among what i've done]. it paid fairly well for somebody with no edumacation.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 4:28 pm

i think we can all be glad that we never were in jobs like what mike rowe talked about-

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 2:31 am

Yes, a coach is a larger version of a bus, used more to take people on tours or take kids to school or on field trips.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 3:28 am

Social: 4/5.  Most of my days are spent away from people.

Sensory: 4/5. The only sensory issues I have involve the neighbors' barking dogs, the smell of cooked fish, and the biting/stinging insects from the jungle out back.

Difficulty/general stress: 1/5. Stress is minimal, but not zero.

Enjoyment: 4/5. Most of the time, life is good -- not perfect, but good.  A lightning strike took out our power and Internet for a couple of days, and the cicadas were a nuisance for a while, and there always seems to be a problem with at least one of the workers; but overall, life is good.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 4:25 am

my job as a bus driver is also my special interest

social
i do have to serve passengers their ticket but i know how to do all that and what to say and also im not shy or timid with the public so its not nerve wracking or anything but some of the elderly ladies like to chat to me they dont seem to recognise that i lack those social skills

sensory
babies screaming on my bus can be stressful but i still feel untouchable by bad sensory things when in my drivers cab and but when im driving im happy as i feel its just me and the bus and i can emotionally understand the bus better than i can people

get stressful when the bus breaks down as it messes up my routine but the boss understands if i get too overwhelmed and sometimes comes to wait with the bus if i feel like im going to have a meltdown
also despite liking my job i can get stressed out from masking and so need a day off every couple of days to recharge so my shift goes 2 days on 2 days off

Enjoyment:
i enjoy it and i love the repetition of driving on the same route

Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 6:36 am

Work as an architect, although currently mostly with CG as that's the box The Corporation has put me in for now. I also work as a consultant on projects abroad (Sweden and Mexico currently).

Social:
3/5

Not so hard to deal with the people themselves, but I have to do it in Japanese only. The bosses can be intimidating at times.

Sensory:
3/5

Lots of bright lights. People talking all the time around you, as there are no individual rooms or cubicles. The indoor temperature is set to 28*C in the summer.

Difficulty/Stress
2/5

Too easy most of the time, not enough challenge. Work week ranges from 38 to 50 hours (I've done 16 hour days for weeks in the past, sometimes 40+ hours straight). But it's good for your health.

Enjoyment
3.5/5

Could be a lot more fun, but until my toddler starts preschool I have to do this job for the money and the comparatively short working hours.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 6:54 am

I'm a freelance writer. I write mainly informational stuff for corporate clients, some promotional bits. Mostly about business technology and finance, some governmental stuff, but can be anything. My skill is basically reading a ton of material about obscure, complicated things and reducing it to something a lay-person can read and understand.

Social: 0/5

Freelance so nothing doing. I speak to people when it's to do with work.

Sensory: 5/5

I work from home so have complete control over my environment. Perfect.

Difficulty/Stress: Between 1/5 and 5/5

It can be seriously stressful. I never know when work is coming so what tends to happen is that I get periods of intense activity and then periods where I literally have no work for weeks. Which is nice until you start to worry that it will never pick up again. My general psychological state has a lot to do with how difficult/stressful I find it.

Enjoyment: 3/5

Depends on the project. If it interests me then it's good. I get to learn about something new in-depth really quickly which is good. I also don't work many hours which is good too.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 4:44 pm

I didn't use numbers to rate things because I'm not sure, like is 5 good or bad? If I say 4 out of 5 for social, would that mean I'm happy socially or unhappy socially, in my job?

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2023, 5:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I didn't use numbers to rate things because I'm not sure, like is 5 good or bad? If I say 4 out of 5 for social, would that mean I'm happy socially or unhappy socially, in my job?

My rating system was using higher numbers to indicate a more positive score, and lower to indicate more negative (I realize this is confusing for categories such as "difficulty/stress" since higher implies more difficulty and stress- I noticed from context at least one person expressed that category with the opposite rating system. Maybe I should have called it "easiness" instead). People can use whatever metrics they like though

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 6:07 pm

after thinking about it some more, i can give a more intelligent answer-
Social:
1/5
i worked around people but might as well have been alone due to the lack of common ground, i was an outlier there, not on their frequency or vibrational level. my coworkers by and large were professionals and they trended republican and very much ableist and smug in their philosophies, as well as being very materialist.
Sensory:
1/5
harsh bright lighting [fluorescent], bright decor/walls/floor/ceilings to reflect all that gross harsh fluorescent illumination, walls reflected/reverberated sounds harshly, clanging and banging of pans and carts, people yelling more than talking, patients screaming and yelling, humid and hot working environment with inadequate ventilation, body aroma smells from patients, body fluid smells, harsh cleaning solution smells. i'd sneak outside now and then and breathe a great "PHEW!" sigh of relief. due to it being a neonatal intensive care unit as well as a level 3 labor and delivery unit [akin to a "shock trauma unit" in an ER] they kept the temperature in the 80s so i sweat gobs, which i was castigated for, being asked if i was ill all the time when i merely was sweating in an expected way in such a hot humid environment. on top of this, being gowned and gloved and standing in one spot [during surgeries] for hours, in even more harsh lighting.
1/5 [to clarify here, the worst stress]
long unpredictable hours, all the other nasties mentioned in Social and Sensory. being encouraged [nice way of putting it] to be two places at once yesterday, rush rush hurry hurry. people breathing down my neck wondering why i can't be faster, and although it is generally hard to fire civil servants, still worrying about how long i can keep up and persevere. a lot of people quit.
Enjoyment:
1/5
only when i was on break [and not interrupted in said break]. stress from the time i woke up on a workday, to when i finally pulled into the garage back home. i am SOOOOO THANKFUL that is in the past!! :heart: :D