Is it OK to go one day without brushing your teeth?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 6:35 pm

I am staying overnight in a hotel just for tonight, and I brought my toothbrush with me but for some reason forgot to bring toothpaste, which I only just noticed before getting into bed so it was too late to go out and buy toothpaste. I've been eating sweets and drinking sodas, so now I'm a bit worried because I'm going to be going to bed without brushing my teeth after consuming sugary things. I'm up early tomorrow to travel home so I don't think I'll get time to buy toothpaste and brush my teeth until I arrive back home.

Will this be OK? I asked Google but as usual it provided me the worst case scenario which has frightened me ("you will get tooth decay after missing just one day of brushing your teeth").

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 6:49 pm

you can generally get a travel-sized toothpaste from the desk clerk - if you can't, rinse your mouth with water before going to bed. Nothing bad will happen in one night.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2023, 9:40 pm

I'd go to the front counter and ask if they can hook you up with some toothpaste.

I know they can usually provide a free toothbrush, I'd assume they can help on that side as well.

Also, worst case scenario, brush without toothpaste, it'll at least knock some of the day's fuzz off your teeth; it's better than nothing.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 2:22 am

Use the brush without the toothpaste if you have to. I’ve read that if you wrap the end of a towel round your finger and wet it under the tap, it’s an effective way of cleaning your teeth.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 10:33 am

Trueno wrote:
Use the brush without the toothpaste if you have to. I’ve read that if you wrap the end of a towel round your finger and wet it under the tap, it’s an effective way of cleaning your teeth.

Yeah I think that as well.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 8:51 pm

Thanks people.

I've brushed my teeth for 4 minutes instead of 2 tonight, to make up for it. My teeth feel OK.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 9:20 pm

gargling/vigorous swishing/rinsing of teeth/mouth with listerine is a good stopgap if you can't brush ONE NIGHT ONLY.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 10:31 pm

Probably, but yeah haven't been to a dentist since the covid started but I did see one not too long before that and got a teeth cleaning, my boyfriend hasn't for even longer...so I have lightly enoucouraged him to but in the past he didn't have good enough insurance from his job, but he's gotten a better paying job that may give better insurance now so he may be able to afford it now. But yeah he needs to go to a dentist for sure. I do to but I have gone within the last 5 years for a teeth cleaning and, I don't think my boyfriend has gone to a dentist since he was a kid.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 5:55 am

Joe90 wrote:
Thanks people.

I've brushed my teeth for 4 minutes instead of 2 tonight, to make up for it. My teeth feel OK.

Yeah they won't all fall out because you missed a day

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2023, 8:54 am

it takes several days for plaque to turn into tartar which would then be needed to be taken off by a hygenist.

I think weve all gone to sleep without brushing our teeth a few times in our lives, youll be ok

you can brush without toothpaste, the mechanical action of brushing is what is doing the cleaning. I had about a year of not using toothpaste and was fine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 10:52 am

babybird wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Thanks people.

It's Google. Why does it do that?
Today it told me that having a song in my head for more than 24 hours is worrying and means I could have a disease of the brain such as dementia, cancer or a stroke.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 8:16 pm

^^^ 8O

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Jul 2023, 8:21 pm

I usually brush my teeth 1ce a day when I 1st wake up(usually the afternoon) & sometimes my schedule gets screwed-up for a few days & I have to be up in the morning for something so I go to bed in the afternoon without brushing my teeth for a few days. I also sometimes skip brushing them for a couple days while I'm traveling to visit my parents. I tend to drink a bit of soda & eat a lot of snacks & I've only had one cavity in my life & I didn't even know I had it till the doc told me. It's been a few years since I've had a cleaning thou so I guess I could have some more cavities & not know :shrug: I think think there's health issues & genetic factors that can majorly affect how easily you can get cavities. Some people eat healthy, brush their teeth 2wice a day every day, & see their dentist 2wice a year for a cleaning & the dentist usually finds cavities. Then there's people like me with bad dental hygiene habits who never get cavities. Brushing probably does help prevent cavities but it is NOT as important as others make it out to be.

Joe90 wrote:
babybird wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Thanks people.

It's Google. Why does it do that?
Today it told me that having a song in my head for more than 24 hours is worrying and means I could have a disease of the brain such as dementia, cancer or a stroke.
Some people are anxious & want to know what the worst case scenarios are just in case they may have it. Also people don't always know how to explain things well & Google could misunderstand like Google might assume that the person is literally hearing the song in their head like an auditory hallucination instead of just hearing thoughts about the song.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2023, 8:46 pm

if i don't keep my mouth clean every day, i get beast breath.