Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 9:25 am

Yes, I have had that happen before. However, there are people who will decide that they can dislike you without any reason because it's just the way they are.

A few examples
1. I once carpooled with a driver and his roommate to a special interest meet-up. When I got into their car, I could sense that the roommate didn't really like me. I also could tell that she seemed like she could be mean. Anyway, she and I got along fine on the way to the event. On the back home, her true colors came out. She got mad because I crossed some boundaries and decided to block me on social media. In fact, I ended up getting left out of a lot of events after that because she had a lot of them at her house. However, I learned it's just the way she is.

2. I used to ride the bus with a woman who had a problem with me the first time I spoke with her. She looked at me funny and called me the B bomb under her breath.

However, I have people who I meet for the first time who I decide I don't like. For instance, there is a new woman at my synagogue who I took an instant dislike.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2023, 11:14 am

I think sometimes people remind others of someone they don't like, and there's nothing we can do about that because we obviously can't know which people they don't like.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2023, 6:24 am

Extroverts often dislike introverts because we are silent and weird. I hate being an introvert. Introverts usually only get along with other introverts.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 7:05 am

Most extroverts couldn't give a flying f--k about introverts.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2023, 7:41 am

NTs dislike Autistics. They find us weird and annoying. They like to make fun of us and laugh at us. I hate NTs that mock, ridicule and insult us for being different.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 7:47 am

Generally all humans need to be more openminded about other humans and not bully them for stupid reasons i.e. because they look a bit different or talk differently.

That's all there is to it, but whether humanity will ever evolve into being more openminded, I don't know. We seem to be devolving :roll:

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 8:32 am

Most neurotypical people couldn't give a flying f--k about autistic people.

I suspect that a lot of the weird vibes we autistic people get from NTs are a product of projection.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 8:41 am

^^^^ very Charitable ^^^^

where ever you go ,there you are

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2023, 2:33 pm

Lots of NTs get this idea that autistics are also selfish people

Anakili83
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Aug 2023, 12:46 am

I can relate. It's very hard for me to read some people more than usual. And some people I've known for years just carry a personality that I don't understand. But I have picked up looks from certain people and said to myself," wow they clearly don't like me" and sort of keep distance.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 3:48 am

I've learned that the best thing to do is go along on my own track and mind my own business. I don't expect to make friends with anyone anymore, just brief interactions with people will have to suffice. Like, enjoying a pleasant conversation with a stranger for five minutes but not expecting to see the stranger again and if I do, not expecting them to speak to me again.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2023, 3:46 pm

rse92 wrote:
Most neurotypical people couldn't give a flying f--k about autistic people.

This probably varies by region and culture.

What you say is probably true in the more cosmopolitan, highly multicultural cities. Such places tend to have a strong mind-your-own-business ethic, at least among older adults (although there may still be plenty of bullying among the children and young people).

On the other hand, there are also plenty of other places where people tend to be nosy, gossipy, and hostile toward anyone seen as different.

The hostility many autistic people experience is not necessarily toward "autistic people" as such (most NT's aren't knowledgeable enough to distinguish autistic people from various other kinds of neurodivergent people), but toward anyone seen as an oddball for whatever reason. Many of us just can't fit in no matter how hard we try, and others of us have given up trying.

rse92 wrote:
I suspect that a lot of the weird vibes we autistic people get from NTs are a product of projection.

I suspect that different autistic people have had different experiences depending on where we live.

ThePerpetualLoner
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2023, 2:31 am

Checkbox wrote:
^
I totally agree with what is written above.
People work by stereotypes and by judging at first glance an appearance and what the person gives off.
If you don't correspond to the image they have of you (positive image or not), then you are somehow causing them a kind of cognitive dissonance, which is an unpleasant experience for the human brain because it is destabilizing. The human brain likes it when it sees confirmation of what it perceives, even when it is negative.
I had read on a paper that people preferred to correspond by default to a popular stereotype, even if it was a stereotype with more negative connotations in society.

That is fascinating! I always presumed I had a punchable face haha. But in restrospect I have an outward persona i portray in social settings...my attempt to blend in and create a comfortable experience..but I am very much an extreme opposite to this illusion..maybe its far too confusing to deal with. (I prefer this explanation then i am so awful that one look says it all)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 7:03 am

I just remembered a clear example of being instantly disliked that I had.

I had just finished my Pilates class at 9-10am. I was putting my shoes and coat on to leave and the next people for the 10-11am class walked into the room.

One lady just looked at me and literally screwed up her face and sneered at me immediately. She had an expression of hatred when she looked at me. I have no idea why.

But I smiled and said 'hello' and she seemed to calm down then as her face changed. I talked to her politely and forced her to be polite back.

But I have no idea why she looked at me with hatred at first.

I have noticed this a lot though with women- they instantly glare at me and turn their noses up at me. No idea why. I think it might be the old, boring reason of me being thinner than them. FFS stop being obsessed with weight!! !

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 7:06 am

A lot of instant dislike received from NT's, can be to do with non-verbal cues that autistic folk are typically weak at.

A lack of smiling or nodding or mirroring an NT's body language can make an NT instantly dislike an autistic, even if the autistic person haven't communicated anything negative, verbally.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 7:13 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
A lot of instant dislike received from NT's, can be to do with non-verbal cues that autistic folk are typically weak at.

A lack of smiling or nodding or mirroring an NT's body language can make an NT instantly dislike an autistic, even if the autistic person haven't communicated anything negative, verbally.

That's a good point but I did smile at that woman almost instantly.

I do generally smile at people I meet but about half the time they ignore/don't smile back so I think 'well I won that one then.' haha.