Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 6:57 pm

Can anybody explain how to more easily permalink a post? The only way I've been able to do it has been to go to the author's page, search their posts till I get to the one I want, then get it from the subject line. I see that a permalink has 4 numbers to define the topic, page and position on page, but although I've experimented with them, I've not managed to figure out how they work.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 7:21 pm

See that rectangle to the left of the time of post?  Click on that, and you will see the URL at the top of your browser.  Copy and past that into the post you are submitting.

Caveat: Cross-posting is not allowed.  If you want to reply to a post, you must do it in the same thread.  However, there seems to be no prohibition starting your own thread to expand on a and idea presented in a separate thread, as long as it is not a direct reply.

Otherwise, check with a moderator for their preferred procedure.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 8:33 pm

^
Good answer, thanks :-)

I'm not familiar with the term "Cross posting." So I looked it up on the Web:
the act of posting the same message to multiple information channels; forums, mailing lists, or newsgroups.
So, what source and destination is the rule referring to? I see it's under the heading Spam. Seems like a clue, but I'm still baffled. Something to do with posting replies in the wrong thread.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 8:38 pm

Cross Posting means we can't continue the same topic in more than one thread, either by duplicating someone else's topic or by quoting them / pasting a topic from one thread into another. That is like "spamming" the forum. You may have noticed in Mod Attention where people ask for similar threads to be merged into one, especially in News.

"Information channels" in this case would mean WP threads.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2023, 9:37 am

^
Ah, I think I'm beginning to see. My main use for permalinks would be simply for my own offline use, so that I can quickly return to posts of particular interest. The only reason I can imagine for my posting one on WP itself would be to more efficiently refer to other posts that may elucidate some idea or other that I was sharing, in the same way as I might post an off-site link, if that makes any sense. I haven't quite got my brain round the way they might be used as a spamming tool, having never personally seen such a thing happen. So I guess there's not much danger of my breaking the rules.

Haven't seen Mod Attention. I'm aware of the existence of News but have never looked there.

Thanks for the info :)