I'll add another, Shallow Hal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LittleBeach
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2024, 2:24 am

The Twilight Series:

- it’s fine for a 100 year old to date a 17 year old, because he looks 17
- it’s fine to stalk someone and sneak into their room while they are sleeping because you’re so totally in love

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 3:58 am

My assumption, which only fell apart when I was 58, but which I had always lived by and plan to again, is that relationships are not complicated, they don't require work, and are certainly not achieved through ruses or machinations, nor depend on on moment when one person says the wrong thing or the right thing. That's what happens in movies. In life, all you have to do is love. Relationships are simple. Except for the times they then blow up in your face. But I still believe that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 May 2024, 6:21 am

:heart:

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The "Diamond In the Rough" myth, as per the "Aladdin" movies (animated and live-action) -- Disney, of course -- and the Cinderella story.  A commoner falls for a member of royalty, who returns the affections only when the commoner impersonates royalty.  An on-again/off-again/on-again romance ensues with the couple living happily ever after, but only because a genii or fairy godmother intervenes.

Moral of the story: You too can find everlasting happiness in the arms of a prince or princess.  All it takes is a little magic . . .

:eew: Blech.

Beauty and the Beast. He basically kidnapped Belle because she was the one to break the spell so she would have no choice but to fall in love with him. But wait, it becomes okay everyone because she fell in love with him anyway and chose to come back.
It's important to note that the guy was rich & Belle was poor. I doubt many women would find the story just as romantic if the guy was a poor peasant & Belle was a rich princess.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 6:51 am

bee33 wrote:
My assumption, which only fell apart when I was 58, but which I had always lived by and plan to again, is that relationships are not complicated, they don't require work, and are certainly not achieved through ruses or machinations, nor depend on on moment when one person says the wrong thing or the right thing. That's what happens in movies. In life, all you have to do is love. Relationships are simple. Except for the times they then blow up in your face. But I still believe that.
Lots of people make relationships more complicated than necessary. They base relationships on romantic fluff & how they feel at that exact moment. Feelings can change a lot depending on enviornmental factors & what the person is dealing with. I think of my romantic partner as my best friend I share a bed with. Getting along together in day to day life for the most part is very important to both of us. It's not romantic but I don't care about romance. We def majorly love each other partly because we think of the other as safe & reliable & we can our normal selves.

MoeTrashPanda
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2024, 8:34 am

LittleBeach wrote:
The Twilight Series:

- it’s fine to stalk someone and sneak into their room while they are sleeping because you’re so totally in love

THIS! So true--I've had this exact same thought. If you read Midnight Sun (the first Twilight Book but from Edward's perspective) it is even woooorse. There's so many other toxic tropes in the series too (Jacob imprinting on Renesmee, Jacob making out with Bella without her consent, Edward keeping her away from her friends, etc.).

Despite this, Twilight is one of my comfort series that I can watch on repeat. I will continuously cringe through the gross creepy parts. I think these things are in the book because Stephenie Meyer is a weird mormon lady.

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ

MoeTrashPanda
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2024, 8:36 am

League_Girl wrote:
I'll add another, Shallow Hal.

Oh god this whole movie is toxic--that's the early 2000's for ya. I barely sat through it. Not one of Jack Black's finest movies.

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ

LittleBeach
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2024, 11:52 am

MoeTrashPanda wrote:
LittleBeach wrote:
The Twilight Series:

THIS! So true--I've had this exact same thought. If you read Midnight Sun (the first Twilight Book but from Edward's perspective) it is even woooorse. There's so many other toxic tropes in the series too (Jacob imprinting on Renesmee, Jacob making out with Bella without her consent, Edward keeping her away from her friends, etc.).

Despite this, Twilight is one of my comfort series that I can watch on repeat. I will continuously cringe through the gross creepy parts. I think these things are in the book because Stephenie Meyer is a weird mormon lady.

Haha yes I confess I do quite enjoy the Twilight series too even though it’s full of strange creepy behaviours!

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2024, 12:27 pm

The movie Titanic points out that you will automatically go from being friends to lovers overnight. When in reality, Jack and Rose had a fling.

The movie always goes to show you that Rose never got over that fling with someone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 12:02 pm

Austin Powers movies are like this, especially the first one. I find it astounding how Austin became monogamous at the end.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2024, 12:10 pm

These don't count movies but in "The Big Bang Theory" and the very end of "Young Sheldon" the relationships are toxic.

I noticed that Penny, Bernadette, and Amy were very controlling

1. Amy and Penny were getting rid of their collectables
2. Penny changed their bedroom for her comfort
3.Bernadette was controlling financially

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 May 2024, 5:15 pm

! Cornflake wrote:
Some off-topic posts were removed by request of the OP.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 2:15 am

These two situations tend to be very funny because they go so wrong :lol:
~Someone rushes into a relationship trying to make their ex jealous.
~Someone is secretly cheating on their long term partner or secretly dating two people at once & they end up in a Mrs Doubtfire type situation.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 1:50 pm

The classic horror movie stereotype that the virgin dies first. In reality virgins are less likely to be killed because they are not cheating on their partners, not hooking up with random people, & they are also less likely to catch STDs :wink:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 3:22 am

Don't put on a Darth Vader mask and do the head jock's girlfriend.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 8:03 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Don't put on a Darth Vader mask and do the head jock's girlfriend.
I think the outcome in the Robot Chicken parody would be more realistic & I'm surprised I'm saying that about a Robot Chicken sketch :o