Page 6 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 5:06 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
This movie is more relevant now more than ever. I've always wanted to watch this film. It's a shame it's not available on any streaming service I have. You know what? F*** it! I'm gonna rent it and watch it with my younger bro.

i have this flick in my collection, saw it back in the 90s when it was in theatres. that character had the balls i lacked. and still lack. :|

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2024, 3:03 pm

My idea of The American Dream is represented by the movie "You Can't Take It With You," directed by Italian immigrant Frank Capra, based on the play by Kaufman and Hart. The film is about an eccentric family that pursues their passions instead of wealth. They're good at some of the things they do and bad at others, but between them, they make enough money to get by. The head of the family is the grandpa, who left a stressful, high-paying job to become an expert on stamp collecting. The antagonist is a greedy banker, who (SPOILER?) ultimately decides to give up his pursuit of wealth and live in the house, too. (There are also some dated aspects to the film, but that's the basic idea.) So, a relatively anti-materialistic version of the American Dream.

The problem is that, in my experience, it's very difficult to even just get by in modern America, especially without a steady job. I couldn't make ends meet on my freelance writing gigs. Some people act like they give out "entry-level" jobs like candy, but in my experience, I had to beg for one and I spent years unemployed because nobody would hire me. At this point, I've worked a low-paying retail job for 15 years. How can you dream of something like owning your own home when it's that difficult just to get started?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2024, 9:19 pm

things can't keep going as they are, they are dragging down, and something eventually must give.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2024, 5:36 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
We need a new one.

The American Dream is dead for me because the only way I am getting a nice home is from my parents and I cant find a job that pays a living wage despite being college educated.We need to bring back labor unions.