Characters whose autistic traits you relate to

Page 6 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 2:19 am

Osakers

I'm in pursuit of 'em right now.

Last edited by funeralxempire on 25 May 2024, 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 2:21 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Swans#Chang's_story
Chang's story
The Cultural Revolution started when Chang was a teenager. Chang willingly joined the Red Guards though she recoiled from some of their brutal actions. As Mao's personality cult grew, life became more difficult and dangerous. Chang's father became a target for the Red Guards when he mildly but openly criticised Mao due to the suffering caused to the Chinese people by the Cultural Revolution. Chang's parents were labeled as capitalist roaders and made subjects of public struggle sessions and torture. Chang recalls that her father deteriorated physically and mentally, until his eventual death. Her father's treatment prompted Chang's previous doubts about Mao to come to the fore. Like thousands of other young people, Chang was sent down to the countryside for education and thought reform by the peasants, a difficult, harsh and pointless experience.

kaeydence
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2024, 4:00 pm

even though the show itself has received some criticism for its portrayal of Autism, I often find myself relating to Sam in the show Atypical.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 2:03 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
None.

For some weird reason, no one ever resonated with me.

Nearly a year and a significant change later, still none. :lol:

In fact, I relate even way less with enumerating autistic traits now -- than my then fluctuating between dichotomous and paradoxical autistic traits.

Never found a that character reminds me of me yet nor relate to any.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 4:53 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I kind of relate to Astrid from Astrid et Raphaëlle.

My symptoms are similar to hers but much milder.

Her job would be wonderful! Working alone in that huge records repository.

I have been watching that as well. But I enjoy it more for the mystery aspect than the autism representation. Especially as it leans heavily on the old "savant" stereotype.

A superficially similar show might be The Bridge from FX. I find Sonya Cross, who is diagnosed with AS, highly relatable although that may be more representative of autism in general than "female" autism per se, so many autistic women might not so strongly relate to her. I just started re-watching that, and had forgotten how much I had enjoyed it when if first aired 10 years ago.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 5:47 pm

milhouse, "simpsons"

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 7:45 pm

MaxE wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
I kind of relate to Astrid from Astrid et Raphaëlle.

My symptoms are similar to hers but much milder.

Her job would be wonderful! Working alone in that huge records repository.

I have been watching that as well. But I enjoy it more for the mystery aspect than the autism representation. Especially as it leans heavily on the old "savant" stereotype.

A superficially similar show might be The Bridge from FX. I find Sonya Cross, who is diagnosed with AS, highly relatable although that may be more representative of autism in general than "female" autism per se, so many autistic women might not so strongly relate to her. I just started re-watching that, and had forgotten how much I had enjoyed it when if first aired 10 years ago.
Sonya is higher functioning than Astrid (and has consultation from Alex Plank).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 11:27 pm

Not autism, but I relate to how Miu deals with rejection sensitive dysphoria but is also prone to behaviour that leads to rejection. Even though she's only a cartoon character it's worrying to see someone who's developing borderline personality disorder and who's main relationships seem prone to feeding those tendencies.

She might have some more alphabet soup as well.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 11:43 pm

I do believe SpongeBob SquarePants IS Autistic but the show HEAVILY leans on the "savant" stereotype

The word was even mentioned in the 3rd movie "Sponge on the Run" which basically stated that SpongeBob has Autism without actually outright stating that he is!

To know for sure we would have to get confirmation from Nickelodeon and/or United Plankton Pictures (the company behind SBSP)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2024, 12:04 am

I’ve always related to Jane Eyre in various ways. I’m quiet, reserved, and misunderstood or even invisible sometimes but passionate, sensitive, and resolute in my personal convictions nonetheless.

I’ve even been hit with books! It’s uncanny.

I also relate to Hester Prynne but that’s more about her situation than character. Ostracism/public humiliation on religious grounds played some role in my PTSD.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2024, 12:06 am

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
I do believe SpongeBob SquarePants IS Autistic but the show HEAVILY leans on the "savant" stereotype

What's Spongebob highly skilled at? I'm not familiar enough with the show to be able to think of anything. :oops:

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2024, 12:31 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Mikurotoro92 wrote:

What's Spongebob highly skilled at? I'm not familiar enough with the show to be able to think of anything. :oops:

Making Krabby Patties

EDIT:He is also VERY good at catching jellyfish!

ElmersTrueLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2024, 10:40 am

Mikurotoro92 wrote:

The word was even mentioned in the 3rd movie "Sponge on the Run" which basically stated that SpongeBob has Autism without actually outright stating that he is!

To know for sure we would have to get confirmation from Nickelodeon and/or United Plankton Pictures (the company behind SBSP)

Which word? Do you have the clip?

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2024, 10:59 am

ElmersTrueLove wrote:
Mikurotoro92 wrote:

Which word? Do you have the clip?

The word "savant"

I don't have a clip but it is said by Karen to Plankton while describing SpongeBob early in the movie

Tiff B
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jun 2024, 5:32 am

Funnily enough for me it was shows where the character in question is not named as being autistic, like "Bones", "The Big Bang theory" and "Dr House". It was the first time I met characters (esp the first 2) who seemed to take almost everything literally, and say exactly what's on their mind, and I was blown away because I was taught you can't be like that. Seeing those characters being accepted by their peers and their quirks assimilated as just their personalities, I felt like it was giving me permission to (weirdly enough) stop playing a character myself.

angelsonthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2024, 9:47 am

Bones is a severely underrated show.