Attention deficit disorder ? Feedback please

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 4:06 am

firemonkey wrote:
That's a great achievement. I'll be totally honest and upfront here. There's no way I could do that, even if the non academic side of things was sorted. Not with the quite severe EF deficits I have. Something I've never had help and support for, and that may well have worsened with age.
I was very lucky as I had been diagnosed before I went to uni. So when I enrolled I applied for assistance from Equity. They provide help to students with disabilities. When I was there, I was able to have all my paperwork printed on grey paper (made it easier to read), I had my exams in a room with only a few other people (instead of in the echoing gymnasium where the sounds would have driven me up the wall) and I was allowed to have more time in my exams. Something I didn't take advantage of (but really wish I did, especially for my thesis) was more time for assignments.

There are probably more ways for Equity to assist ADHD people but I don't know what they are. Most unis these days probably have a similar program in place.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 5:43 am

Things are still nowhere near perfect for those who are 2e/gifted but disabled, but they are a lot better than what was available for people my age. I may have AD(H)D traits but wouldn't claim to have fully diagnosable AD(H)D. My 'traits' are 1)difficulties with organising and planning 2)difficulty prioritising what to do with multistep tasks 3)task dependent variability of focussing 4)the 'x amount of TV channels all showing different programmes' thing 5)a tendency to flounder if I can't think of a quick answer to a question.

I'm far more cognitively hyperactive than physically hyperactive.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 7:51 am

That last line you wrote - it's the same for me also. I was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD in 2004. I sometimes wish I was physically hyperactive as then I wouldn't have appeared to be, and accused of being, lazy my whole life. My mum was always concerned with me being "lethargic" when I was growing up and she was constantly trying to make me take vitamins.

5) I do this too, sometimes I get a complete mind blank and words just won't get to my mouth. This can be embarrassing if I'm around people I've just met.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2024, 8:12 am

https://www.thetransmitter.org/spectrum ... tism-adhd/

"Until about five years ago, the American Psychiatric Association’s diagnostic bible held the two conditions to be mutually exclusive: Only in 2013, with the debut of the current “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders” (DSM-5), did a dual diagnosis become permissible. But in fact, autism and ADHD often coincide. An estimated 30 to 80 percent of children with autism also meet the criteria for ADHD and, conversely, 20 to 50 percent of children with ADHD for autism. Given the size of the overlap, scientists are beginning to rethink the relationship between the two conditions and to look for common biological roots.

The connections could run deep. One team in the Netherlands has proposed that autism and ADHD are different manifestations of a single condition with a range of subtypes, each having a distinct time of onset, mix of traits and progression. In this view, ADHD can occur without signs of autism, but autism always occurs with features of ADHD or other conditions, notes the team’s leader Jan Buitelaar, professor of child and adolescent psychiatry at Radboud University in Nijmegen, the Netherlands."

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2024, 10:48 pm

Fenn wrote:
https://www.thetransmitter.org/spectrum/decoding-overlap-autism-adhd/

"Until about five years ago, the American Psychiatric Association’s diagnostic bible held the two conditions to be mutually exclusive: Only in 2013, with the debut of the current “Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders” (DSM-5), did a dual diagnosis become permissible. But in fact, autism and ADHD often coincide. An estimated 30 to 80 percent of children with autism also meet the criteria for ADHD and, conversely, 20 to 50 percent of children with ADHD for autism. Given the size of the overlap, scientists are beginning to rethink the relationship between the two conditions and to look for common biological roots.

The connections could run deep. One team in the Netherlands has proposed that autism and ADHD are different manifestations of a single condition with a range of subtypes, each having a distinct time of onset, mix of traits and progression. In this view, ADHD can occur without signs of autism, but autism always occurs with features of ADHD or other conditions, notes the team’s leader Jan Buitelaar, professor of child and adolescent psychiatry at Radboud University in Nijmegen, the Netherlands."

That's pretty infuriating. I wonder how many other autistic people missed out on diagnosis at that time because dual diagnosis wasn't allowed, but now can't get dismissed because the records aren't available or due to spectrum shrink.

The same thing used to be the case with OCD and ADHD, and that's relatively common, possibly due to selective breeding over the millennia.

I think that was based on the idea that ADHD was at one of the extreme ends of the autistic direction, and since you can't be in two places at once, it was one or the other. There's similar issues with the Schizophria spectrum. I don't think that has been resolved.