Page 8 of 11 [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 1:52 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-67126173

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 8:42 pm

^
"It could have been worse," says North Warwickshire MP Craig Tracey, who helped run the Conservative campaign in Tamworth.
Always look on the bright side, Craig. :twisted:

Mr. Starmer will romp home unless he annoys the media barons too much, and even then I think he'll win. I guess a better question now is, will he do better Tory Blair's record? And will the actual Tory Party be hammered quite so far into the ground this time?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 8:47 pm

The Labour Party should storm to victory in the next general election. If they don't, they will have seriously messed the entire thing up, since it is there for the taking.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 8:58 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
^
"It could have been worse," says North Warwickshire MP Craig Tracey, who helped run the Conservative campaign in Tamworth.

Mr. Starmer will romp home unless he annoys the media barons too much, and even then I think he'll win. I guess a better question now is, will he do better Tory Blair's record? And will the actual Tory Party be hammered quite so far into the ground this time?

He may or may not 'do better' than A Blair's record, but if he gets a similar period in office, he will potentially be in a position to continue to wreck the country for another decade and a half. Rayner? Abbott? Streeting? Phillips? No thanks. Not even convinced that the much touted Rachel Reeves will eventually amount to much.

The country has been on a downward trajectory in my view for at least the last 30 years, and I don't see any hope for a reversal in any of the mainstream political parties.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 9:03 pm

DeepHour wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
^

He may or may not 'do better' than A Blair's record, but if he gets a similar period in office, he will potentially be in a position to continue to wreck the country for another decade and a half. Rayner? Abbott? Streeting? Phillips? No thanks. Not even convinced that the much touted Rachel Reeves will eventually amount to much.

The country has been on a downward trajectory in my view for at least the last 30 years, and I don't see any hope for a reversal in any of the mainstream political parties.

The New Labour party that won the 1997 election was essentially a reinvention of the party as a Tory-lite set up.

So I agree with you that a lot of things have gotten worse.

I am guessing you are not a Conservative party voter, though?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 9:15 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
The Labour Party should storm to victory in the next general election. If they don't, they will have seriously messed the entire thing up, since it is there for the taking.

It feels to me like Labour outright threw away two out of the last three elections, and possibly the third. The Conservatives were not much loved by the public in 2015 or 2017, to put it mildly. But Labour failed to convince anyone as a genuine alternative - first because they were too quiet and ineffectual, then because they descended into civil war, which also contributed to Johnson's 2019 landslide. I'd like to think they won't start spamming the self-destruct button again before the next election, but I'm not holding my breath.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 9:22 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

It feels to me like Labour outright threw away two out of the last three elections, and possibly the third. The Conservatives were not much loved by the public in 2015 or 2017, to put it mildly. But Labour failed to convince anyone as a genuine alternative - first because they were too quiet and ineffectual, then because they descended into civil war, which also contributed to Johnson's 2019 landslide. I'd like to think they won't start spamming the self-destruct button again before the next election, but I'm not holding my breath.

"Spamming the self-destruct button" - that did give me a 'lol'.

:lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Oct 2023, 2:13 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

2017 actually started with May looking extremely strong, the polls suggested she was on course for an even better result than 2019. I think the Tories were projected to win most seats in every part of the country except Scotland (and NI obviously), where they did well in 2017 but wouldn't have caught the SNP.

May's campaign really boosted Corbyn, she was not a good campaigner and the announced reforms to social care were denounced as "dementia tax", which cost her a lot of votes.

Of course if Labour had someone like Cooper or Burnham at the helm then they'd probably have been better-placed to capitalise on May's mistakes.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 7:58 pm

DeepHour wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
^

I agree we've been going backwards for a long time. Longer than 30 years if my personal experience there is anything to go by.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 9:15 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
DeepHour wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
^

The New Labour party that won the 1997 election was essentially a reinvention of the party as a Tory-lite set up.

So I agree with you that a lot of things have gotten worse.

I am guessing you are not a Conservative party voter, though?

Absolutely right. I voted for them in 1983, having been suckered in by the Thatcher mirage, and again in 1997 out of sympathy for John Major (thought I might be the only person in the whole country to vote for him), but never again since. For a while I voted for crazy options like far-left candidates or UKIP types, but for the last decade I've just not been bothered to take part in the whole pointless exercise. I doubt whether I'll ever vote again in a national or local election.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 11:47 am

They've called an election for the 4th of July. 8)
I don't know quite what we'll wake up to when it's done, but it won't be a Tory government. At least not the official one.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 10:03 am

I'm hoping for a Lib/Lab coalition. I am a Labour and Lib Dem member.

Will be voting Labour as we've got a Tory MP here with Labour in 2nd place. I am looking forward to election night on the BBC. Hope the 10pm exit poll will be good for Starmer.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 9:55 pm

When I'm in the UK I live in a safe Labour seat. No prizes for guessing which party will win it this time.

I can see why they called an election. At that rate, things were only going to get worse for the Tories, so I guess they decided to cut their losses, and weren't expecting any good news for the rest of the year.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 9:03 am

Labour have been consistently ahead in voting intention polls for nearly two whole years now. And judging by the recent local elections, which were a disaster for the conservatives, they'd have to do something terrible to throw away their opportunity to be in government this coming general election.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 9:25 am

I was amazed this morning when I saw the news and they were interviewing people coming out of a food bank. Absolutely broken people, on the bones of their arses. Bad teeth because (obviously) NHS dentists are in short supply. There's people where dressed in yesterday's rags and having to use a food bank and they STILL said that the Tory Party is the best thing that has happened to Britain

I just don't know how far some people can accept being grounded down before they see that they have been properly and completely f****d over by an uncompassionate, uncaring group of self serving c***s

That's what I saw on the news anyway and this concerns me

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 9:58 am

Just had Labour phone me up about a window poster and sign outside in the front communal garden. I said yes to both. I really want see the Tories get stuffed.