Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FrostBender
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2024, 10:56 am

One of my special interests is collecting and restoring computers from the 1990s. I don’t tell anyone about it because I don’t want them to associate me as being weird. However, nostalgia became popular during Covid. Would this be a socially-accepted special interest then?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 11:51 am

I think a lot of people would find that an interesting interest. Sometimes a special interest might seem odd to others because of its intensity, so I would try to avoid talking about it excessively if you want it to be accepted, but as interests go, it seems like one that many people would be able to relate to.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 11:57 am

If you were NT it might be NT approved. Many autistic people have interests similar to NTs, but it's only because we're autistic that it's "wrong". :roll:

For example, lots of adults like cartoons, but it's because I'm aspie that it's a socially unacceptable obsession instead of just an enjoyable pastime.

NTs can just go jump in a lake.

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2024, 12:35 pm

Hey, that's a great interest. It's not weird at all. In fact, you can probably turn that into a lucrative business and/or get a job working on computers. Like bee33 said though, I'd avoid talking excessively about it to most folks. That's a very techie topic that, although the basics would probably appeal to a lot of people, the in-depth bits are something they wouldn't care so much about.

So you've piqued my interest. Do you just do hardware or do you actually get DOS and/or Windows up and running on those rigs? There should be some good money to be made with that, too.

ChicagoLiz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2024, 12:55 pm

If you want to know how NTs will react to something about you, you need to ask them. How will autistic strangers on the internet who have never met you have any idea how you will be perceived by others in real life?

FrostBender
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2024, 1:34 pm

mgurak wrote:
Hey, that's a great interest. It's not weird at all. In fact, you can probably turn that into a lucrative business and/or get a job working on computers. Like bee33 said though, I'd avoid talking excessively about it to most folks. That's a very techie topic that, although the basics would probably appeal to a lot of people, the in-depth bits are something they wouldn't care so much about.

So you've piqued my interest. Do you just do hardware or do you actually get DOS and/or Windows up and running on those rigs? There should be some good money to be made with that, too.

I find all the original OEM hardware that came with it when it was new, including the model of the original HDD. Then I install the original factory copy of Windows on it. It is the same experience you would have had after buying it.

FrostBender
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 May 2024, 1:35 pm

I don’t excessively talk about it. I don’t bring it up unless asked about hobbies. Since I want to appear NT in public, I hide all my ND feelings about things at home

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2024, 1:52 pm

FrostBender wrote:
I find all the original OEM hardware that came with it when it was new, including the model of the original HDD. Then I install the original factory copy of Windows on it. It is the same experience you would have had after buying it.

Oh wow, that's so cool. 8) I know just enough about hardware to get the optimum experience but I'm a software guy at heart.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 7:53 pm

I guess it would depend on the individual NTs. I'm sure a lot of them would approve, but I suppose there will always be people who would be judgemental about something that's not doing any harm.

I don't see any harm in revealing such an interest as long as you don't talk at length about it without making sure they're particularly interested. Anybody who looks down on you for having such an interest, you're probably better off without.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2024, 8:04 pm

Applause on your Special Interest...... upgrading older systems to be able to interface with current internet protocols
with adequate motherboard chips for speed . And keeping a more familiar older Windows version, would be a very lucrative thing?

where ever you go ,there you are

Princess Viola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2024, 4:20 pm

Honestly being into vintage/retro computers is already an accepted thing in geek spaces, both neurotypical and neurodivergent ones, and has been for years, so you really don't really need to worry about it.

Sure, there's always going to be people who don't get it, but even if you were NT and were interested in this same thing, they still wouldn't get it because they'd just think of these old computers as junk that should be recycled or thrown out.

Shame really, but who cares if people don't understand your interests, y'know?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 7:08 am

does it have to be NT approved? just like any other group, some will find it interesting and some may not. There is no "NT code" to break, each person will be different, NT or ND, Find what gives your life interest and enjoyment and follow it. No shame! You will attract others with more in common if you are open about your likes, interests, and enthusiasms.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

endlessfnords
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 May 2024, 11:44 am

Awesome!! !! The form and functionality of those old computers provides so much that so many modern computers lack! I wish I still had my childhood IBM aptiva with windows 98 on it! I am an audio guy who goes deep into tape, vinyl mixing/mastering, and old hardware, and I've been so fortunate to find other audiophiles that share my deep interests. I bet your people are out there in large numbers!

katebrownell86
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 May 2024, 6:48 pm

There's no need to worry about your interest in 90s computers fitting in! Retrocomputing (working with older computers) is a growing hobby community. The nostalgia wave definitely boosted its popularity, but enthusiasts have been around for years, preserving these machines and the history they hold.
Embrace your unique interest! It shows you have technical skills, patience, and a passion for a specific era of technology. Sharing your hobby with others could even lead you to a supportive community of fellow retrocomputing enthusiasts.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2024, 7:24 pm

Why do you care? It's a sad to think that one's passions would have to be approved by others.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2024, 10:39 am

Why do you care if it's "NT-approved" or not? It's YOUR special interest, no one has the right to tell you what you can/can't have a special interest regardless of neurotype.