what are the criteria for significant speech delay

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

markdad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2005, 2:36 pm

Hi --

First off, I want to congratulate all involved in creating this place. I've been lurking for weeks. It's a really fascinating place for anyone interested in (or intimately familiar with someone on) the spectrum.

I have a son who is almost three and in the process of being evaluated for some form of ASD. We're pretty certain he's somewhere on the spectrum.

I'm thinking it might be Asperger's, since he does speak, but speech and communication are certainly not his strengths (lots of echolalia, pronoun reversal/confusion, inappropriate social speech, etc.).

I'm wondering -- what are the criteria for the "significant speech delay" symptom used to determine if someone has Asperger's or some other form of ASD?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Last edited by markdad on 16 Aug 2005, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 3:20 pm

Bye!

Last edited by Ghosthunter on 16 Aug 2005, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markdad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2005, 3:29 pm

I guess I'm wondering if "speech delay" means "no speech" or "no pragmatic speech".

I did however just read this, posted elsewhere on the board:

"There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age two years, communicative phrases used by age three years)."

Think this is from the DSM-IV, in which case there's a good chance our son has Asperger's. He's almost three and is definitely communicating his needs with simple (if grammatically incorrect) sentences ("more put on shoes and go to the outside," "more cereal please," etc.).

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 3:49 pm

Bye!

Last edited by Ghosthunter on 16 Aug 2005, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2005, 7:50 pm

markdad wrote:
"There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age two years, communicative phrases used by age three years)."

Hello, and welcome.

Although I am not sure, I do beleive that is from the DSM-IV. I've heard it used by enough professionals.

I'm assuming you are in the US? Is your son recieving services via the school distrist?

You are about to become an expert on ADA and IDEA. Welcome to my world. :)

My oldest child starts high school this year. The younger PDD one is entering 8th grade.

BeeBee

markdad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2005, 4:41 am

BeeBee wrote:
I'm assuming you are in the US? Is your son recieving services via the school distrist?
We're in Chicago and yes, it appears that we will be getting a little bit of EI (1 month... ugh, we waited too long) and lots of private services (assuming my insurance will cover them).

We have a fantastic services coordinator through EI who is trying to get us placement at a great preschool. Our fingers are crossed it will be the right place.

BeeBee wrote:
You are about to become an expert on ADA and IDEA. Welcome to my world. :)
Yeah. I'm extremely thankful to have our services coordinator! Navigating "regular" placement would've been tricky enough, without having to advocate for services.

Thanks for the responses, BeeBee and Ghosthunter!

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 8:41 am

markdad wrote:
I guess I'm wondering if "speech delay" means "no speech" or "no pragmatic speech".

I did however just read this, posted elsewhere on the board:

Think this is from the DSM-IV, in which case there's a good chance our son has Asperger's. He's almost three and is definitely communicating his needs with simple (if grammatically incorrect) sentences ("more put on shoes and go to the outside," "more cereal please," etc.).

Speech delay means no speech use as in not saying single words by 2 yrs of age and not speaking in communicative phrases like "I want a cookie" or "I want juice". It looks more at expressive language than receptive though it's presumed there'd be no delay in receptive language. Autism/Aspergers is not the only 'disorder' that causes pragmatic language issues.

Semantic Pragmatic Disorder also affects pragmatic language.

What is his current diagnosis if any?

markdad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2005, 9:33 am

No diagnosis as yet. Only EI assessments, which point in the Aspergers/HFA direction, to be sure. The developmental therapist who stopped by yesterday said that while she couldn't diagnose our son, there was "no question" in her mind that whatever he has, it's mild. I'm assuming this means that if he's on the spectrum, he's high functioning.

We're not sure when we'll have a formal diagnostic. We're currently scheduled for one in late September, but EI is pushing for one sooner than that. So, time will tell...

In the meantime, I can't stop playing pediatric neurologist! I know that this isn't the best use of my time and energy... ;)

And, ultimately, the diagnoses doesn't seem that important to me anymore. He's likely to be diagnosed any of 5 or 6 different things over the course of the coming years, based on what I've read of people's histories here. All we need to do is get him ready to learn, ready for school (be it a classroom for auties or no). That's our main concern -- he does not seem at all ready at the moment! He's very capable of learning (counted to 30 this morning!), but we need to figure out the best way to teach him.

16 Aug 2005, 3:07 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
Semantic Pragmatic Disorder also affects pragmatic language.

Wow. I just read up on this. That sounds like it could be it. I hope not... it sounds like a long, hard slog towards learning real language. :(

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 8:45 pm

I suspect with any type of severe speech problems, like delay or echolalia, etc., Autistic Disorder is more likely the diagnosis to be rendered. Funny though that many Aspies could actually fulfill the Autistic Disorder criteria since Speech Delay is not required and only a problem with overall communication.

But in general, I think a professional is more likely to diagnose Autistic Disorder if problems in communication are very prominent (aside from incessant chattering like I had, lol).

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

01 Oct 2005, 10:57 am

You guys were right -- he was diagnosed ASD (C.A.R.S. score was "mild").

So... here we go with school and ST and OT and... whee! :?

I'm actually pretty hopeful that he'll be just fine. Won't be an easy road, but it's not the end of the road, either.